From the brink of bankruptcy to a 1,300% stock gain: How this CEO turned around her company.

erek

[H]F Junkie
Cool, I guess

"Coronavirus — and the damage it has inflicted on economies around the world — has raised questions about what the future holds for many companies. However, Kewell said, semiconductor companies will likely benefit from the fact that their manufacturing and production processes are largely automated.
In the short term, coronavirus may even be a boon to the company as more people stock up on powerful laptops and gaming systems powered by AMD technology for work and entertainment at home, Krewell said.
AMD still likely has a significant runway to grow in the coming years.
"It's a very, sort of, high stakes, high reward place and our goal is to continue to make the right bets year after year," Su said.
"As proud as I am of what we've done over the last five years, there's no question in my mind that the next five years are going to be even more competitive and we need to make those bets. We're making a ton of bets now. Every day we talk about, 'Hey, how should we build our roadmap for the future?' And that's our world.""

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/27/tech/lisa-su-amd-risk-takers/index.html

I think some people don't realize just how close to the edge AMD was, before they made their recovery.

The only problem with Dr. Su's leadership of AMD has been selling technology to the Chinese communist regime.

Nothing more important than a new PC when your job and economy go to shit.

As do I. Most don't need a shiny new one now, though, especially not gaming systems.

And? What, exactly, is the point of your post? How does it apply to Lisa Su and her team turning AMD around?

Reactions: dgz
like this
AMD finally got a competent ceo with solid focus and goals. From Rory Read to Jerry Sanders it seemed like a rudderless ship.

I put food on the table by using my PC, and I think a lot more people now do so as well.
I put food on my PC, but I'm just special like that.

Su's done an amazing job so far. I'm hoping they can improve their graphics side soon, but I'm happy with a competitive CPU for now I guess. Can't wait for Zen3/4 mobile.

The only problem with Dr. Su's leadership of AMD has been selling technology to the Chinese communist regime.

yea, sure ... like she's the only one to be doing that. At least she SOLD it rather than having China steal it like they often do

And? What, exactly, is the point of your post? How does it apply to Lisa Su and her team turning AMD around?
It applies to the article and quote posted. Or haven't you bothered to read even the OP?

She's done well but gets too much credit. Rory Reed got the ball rolling with Zen and semicustom contracts so she just came in and continued what he had started. Don't forget the thousands of engineers who designed said products and MOST IMPORTANTLY TSMC. Without 7nm on a TSMC fab, intel would still be killing AMD.

Also, RTG is still a mess as witnessed by the terrible Navi drivers and them bungling the 5600 launch.

She's done well but gets too much credit. Rory Reed got the ball rolling with Zen and semicustom contracts so she just came in and continued what he had started. Don't forget the thousands of engineers who designed said products and MOST IMPORTANTLY TSMC. Without 7nm on a TSMC fab, intel would still be killing AMD.

Also, RTG is still a mess as witnessed by the terrible Navi drivers and them bungling the 5600 launch.
I am trying to find sources that back up your claim, but so far all I can find is the start of zen being 2012 which is the same year Lisa Su took over. So how did she just continue what he was doing and are you seriously implying that in the last 8 years she has just been implementing Rory Reeds plans?

If its anything like the companies I've worked for, I'd wager there was also some turnover in the actual engineering team that were working 60+hrs every week and created the new products that were successful and making the company money, and are overjoyed that all of the credit for their combined years of hard work is going to one person.

Its likely the Steve Jobs effect, where he says "I want an touchscreen phone with almost no buttons", some genius young guys bust their balls to make that a reality, and then Steve walks out with his stupid turtleneck and says "Hey, look what I did".

If its anything like the companies I've worked for, I'd wager there was also some turnover in the actual engineering team that were working 60+hrs every week and created the new products that were successful and making the company money, and are overjoyed that all of the credit for their combined years of hard work is going to one person.

Its likely the Steve Jobs effect, where he says "I want an touchscreen phone with almost no buttons", some genius young guys bust their balls to make that a reality, and then Steve walks out with his stupid turtleneck and says "Hey, look what I did".

Jobs and Su are quite different -- I don't think it's fair to compare the two.

Su has been a good leader, but any influence she's had would involve general strategy. Jobs, however, often played a major role in design and was famous/notorious for micromanaging products. Many products from the era could be directly traced back to Jobs having a brainstorm or chatting with Ive about what to do next. My favorite: the impetus for the iPhone and iPad stemmed back to Jobs vowing he could outdo Tablet PCs after someone bragged about them (which wasn't hard, since Microsoft's platform was really quite crappy). The engineers were crucial to bringing the ideas to life, but you weren't going to see them tackle many of the top-level design concepts.

Something like Volvo, lol. Sell things to the Chinese, they have tons of money. AMD recovered. Volvo recovered.

Back