From Samsung, to Toshiba, to Asus..

plac

Gawd
So I bought a Samsung, then bought a Toshiba netbook, details found in this thread:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1581987

After using this netbook for a couple days the lack of power is really annoying me, not to mention the screen i can barely view a web page on. (I did upgrade the netbook to 2GB ram and win 7 home btw). I might keep the netbook either way just for portability on trips or something, or I can probably return it for a full refund. (Minus the 2GB ram stick i bought...)

I have been eyeing the Asus G73 series for quite a while, and I decided to try it. The only thing I don't like about it is it's size and weight. But I have to make compromises since I am a glutton for nice quick PCs or laptops.

The fun stuff: I will be comparing this new laptop to my existing PC, just for some basic tests. Nothing major, maybe some 3dmark scores and windows ratings. IF this laptop beats my PC in both those scores, I will part out my PC and just move to a laptop at home. Any guesses on which machine will win? I honestly have no idea, because I always view a laptop as never being quite as nice as a PC. If I keep the laptop I will move my Intel SSD drive to it.

PC = Q6660 @3ghz, 4gb ram, HD4870 512MB
VS
LAPTOP = i7 740, 6GB, HD5870 1GB

Again, I am not that crazy obsessed about benchmarks, and dont plan to do much more than basic tests I mentioned. My PC is getting pretty old at this point, and I wouldnt mind starting fresh IF this laptop can equal or beat its scores..

RESULTS COMING TONIGHT

Windows Scores

PC:
Processor 7.1
Ram 7.1
Desktop graphics 7.4
Gaming graphics 7.4
Disk transfer 7.4

LAPTOP (with "twin turbo mode" graphics enabled)
Processor 7.1
Ram 7.4
Desktop graphics 7.2
Gaming graphics 7.2
Disk transfer 5.9

Amazing how the 4870 512MB card gets a 7.4, while the "better" 5870 1GB card only gets a 7.2..

That being said.. I've never had any of my laptops even come close to my PC scores.. Pretty impressive.. I throw my SSD into the laptop and it pops to 7.4 disk.

Last edited:
3dmark06 demo defaults

PC: 14603 3DMarks
Laptop: 12714 3DMarks (with twin turbo enabled)
Laptop: 12902 3DMarks (without twin turbo enabled)

Last edited:
from 12714 to 12902 WITHOUT twin turbo! I thought that Oc'ed the video or something. Guess not.

These two computer comparos are insanely close...

returned the netbook and the 2gb ram w no issues. i hope i stick with this asus... it wont even fit in my huge Swiss laptop backpack.

That asus is a nice laptop for replacing a desktop computer. The mobile radeon 5870 is about on par with your current card. If I wanted to replace my desktop rig this laptop would surely be high on a short list of laptops :cool:

I think this Asus even has dual HDD bays inside :D

Amazing how the 4870 512MB card gets a 7.4, while the "better" 5870 1GB card only gets a 7.2..

That being said.. I've never had any of my laptops even come close to my PC scores.. Pretty impressive.. I throw my SSD into the laptop and it pops to 7.4 disk.

The 5870m is ~ 5770 desktop which is slightly slower than a 4870 desktop but very similar. So the 5870m isn't really 'better' except for more features (newer, i.e. dx11) and more ram. Keep in mind how old your system is compared to the G73.

I have a ASUS ROG laptop and I've been impressed with it in just about every aspect ranging from express gate, awesome looks, excellent quality, impressive cooling, and a very good customer service experience. My friend has a G73 and he brought it over one day. That thing is something to behold... definitely looks impressive in person. It's one gigantic man-sized laptop.

Nice blog bro.

Asus G's do offer best bang for high performing without a doubt but comes at a price of mass weight and so so screen,

brought this G73 to work today.. I just can't see lugging this thing every single day.. sigh...

the laptop i want just doesnt exist. my ideal screen size is 12-13", not even 14". lightweight, like 2-3 lbs., current processor, and strong video. I guess the closest thing is the 15" Alienware probably.. The M11X is too small a screen for me, had one a year ago.

The only way I would keep this Asus G73 is if it was replacing my desktop. Then I run into the problem that it is not upgradable, whereas my desktop is. I can shoot my desktop way higher with a new 6850 or 6870 video card. The laptop is current now, and I wouldnt be able to make it any better ever. Duke Nukem is coming out soon, and I want to have a really good machine for it. I might even upgrade my monitor from 22" to 23" just so I can finally hit HD resolutions. Then the docking station issue comes into play, and making room for the laptop to sit on my desk. My desk is already packed with a wall mount 19" TV/cable box and speakers.

I may return this if i cant get most of my money back selling local.. I just need something smaller. I'll have to wait for some new Alienware offerings to see if they tempt me.

Have you considered something like the HP Envy 14? It's a tad heavier then the 2-3lbs but it seems to have most everything else you want. That said they don't currently offer the nice 1600x900 display unless you can deal with a referb from HP... The Dell XPS laptops would be something else to consider since dell just released them with the new sandy bridge CPUs.

the laptop i want just doesnt exist. my ideal screen size is 12-13", not even 14". lightweight, like 2-3 lbs., current processor, and strong video. I guess the closest thing is the 15" Alienware probably.. The M11X is too small a screen for me, had one a year ago.

It may be lacking somewhat in graphics, however the Asus U36Jc may be up your alley if your considering the macbook air.

I had my eyes on it for the past few weeks, however now waiting for the sandy bridge refresh, hoping they bump the GPU up a bit along with it. Hopefully it should be out by the end of March.

The screen is just alright, however I pretty much gave up looking for a laptop with a decent screen, as they really don't exist in this price bracket since the radiance on the envy 14 went away.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
It may be lacking somewhat in graphics, however the Asus U36Jc may be up your alley if your considering the macbook air.

I had my eyes on it for the past few weeks, however now waiting for the sandy bridge refresh, hoping they bump the GPU up a bit along with it. Hopefully it should be out by the end of March.

The screen is just alright, however I pretty much gave up looking for a laptop with a decent screen, as they really don't exist in this price bracket since the radiance on the envy 14 went away.

I totally agree with you. I've been looking at a higher price bracket (~2000) for a laptop with a great/hi-res screen ~1080p. So far, all I get are customs like Clevo, ugly/huge Dells, or the newly-discontinued Vaio Z. *Sigh*

I'll wait until the Envy, Vaio, and Lenovo refreshes occur, and then decide between those and the MBP 15".

I want a 13-15", 2-4 lb, no ODD (preferred), >=SB i5, great discrete graphics, 1080p/1600x900 screen w/ good-quality display, SSDs (e.g. in RAID 0) in an attractive package. You'd think in 2011 we'd be able to get that for a good (~2000) price. Too bad no one offers that kind of product :(

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
i returned the asus today. too big for me. almost bought a macbook air, but didnt.

now im looking at the Dell XPS 15's, which have some pretty good specs also, strong cpus, good graphics and 1080p LCD.

i dunno... i guess nothing will ever beat my PC.. i should probably just spend $400 on a new PC video card instead of $1500-$1800 on a laptop.

The XPS 15 just came out with the new sandybridge CPUs. So yeah if you're going to get a laptop that one seems to have almost everything you'd want. the xps15 also has the option of a 1080p screen :D

The XPS 15 just came out with the new sandybridge CPUs. So yeah if you're going to get a laptop that one seems to have almost everything you'd want. the xps15 also has the option of a 1080p screen :D

Which is very strange, since they xps 17 DOESNT have the option of 1080p -- only 900p

I came home with the last Sony Vaio Signature Z that Fry's had in stock. On top of that, I haggled them down $150 off the asking price. Opening it now, this will be the best laptop I have ever had by far.

I'm really wanting to hear your thoughts on that guy after you pop it open and start using it :)

Doing Windows updates, cleaning up software, general customization. Boots very quick. So far about 1/4 of my disk space is used. I'll have ot be careful what I install.

vaio.jpg

I just ran WEI rating.. It finished in 5 seconds?? Maybe it was already in memory..

Processor: 6.9
Memory: 5.9
Graphics: 6.3
Gaming: 6.3
Disk: 7.3

naw not the best. My Asus G73 had better rating. But this thing is quick.

Back