From R9 285 to RX 480 - video colors washed out

sanderm

n00b
Moved to RX 480 which seems to have a lot of problems on software side compared to R9 285.

Getting back to be able to use AMD CCC took some googling, but I was able to get it working: installed Catalyst 15.7.1 and then under Device Manager updated drivers to latest from Crimsom Relive 16.12.2.

So I'm able to control most of the settings through CCC, but what doesn't seem to be working is video settings. On R9 285, I was able to have different color settings for desktop (anything not from video player) and video (CCC > Video > Color), on RX 480, it doesn't have any effect. What's also different is that Media Player Classic used to have DirectShow Video as System Default (View > Options > Playback > Output) and everything was OK, now the video is pixelated when using full screen. Similar thing happened on R9 285 when opening second video player, first player had OK quality, second one's was pixelated when full screen.

I'm not sure how it's called, maybe video overlay mode? Is there a hack to have different color settings for video?

Question? Why did you installed the 15.7.1 and then update to 16.12.2??? why didn't you just install the Relive drivers from the get go?
Is there a reason why?
I could see a couple of reason why you are experiencing some difficulties by doing what you did there.

give up on the old ccc is not meant to be used with the new crimson drivers. ddu, reinstall the 16.12.2 and try again. just because it doesn't work when you try to force it to do something its not supposed to do does not mean its a "software problem".

give up on the old ccc is not meant to be used with the new crimson drivers. ddu, reinstall the 16.12.2 and try again. just because it doesn't work when you try to force it to do something its not supposed to do does not mean its a "software problem".

Tried it with Relive at first, but as it was missing so much functionality from old CCC, went back to latest CCC. Window's color calibration tool doesn't give me the same results as CCC's Desktop Management > Desktop Color.

As I use those displays mainly for work (software development) and video is secondary, I can live with not so good video colors than too bright displays.

Tried it with Relive at first, but as it was missing so much functionality from old CCC, went back to latest CCC. Window's color calibration tool doesn't give me the same results as CCC's Desktop Management > Desktop Color.

As I use those displays mainly for work (software development) and video is secondary, I can live with not so good video colors than too bright displays.

you can still access the old menus in the new CCC. by going to preferences and additional radeon settings

ok I can get that then but it might not be able to do what you want as they are moving forward from the old ways. you could try the 16.11.* I think they still have more control in the old ccc section. also make sure your pixel format is set correctly. I know mine changes every other driver update. it may have changed on ya!

Did you reset your monitor for any contrast/brightness settings? Are you using the same input on the 480 that you used on the old card?

ok I can get that then but it might not be able to do what you want as they are moving forward from the old ways. you could try the 16.11.* I think they still have more control in the old ccc section. also make sure your pixel format is set correctly. I know mine changes every other driver update. it may have changed on ya!

Yeah its an annoyance that it doesn't remember the old settings or at least doesn't try to crank everything up to 11 automatically (I guess a few displays might bug out).

you can still access the old menus in the new CCC. by going to preferences and additional radeon settings

you could try the 16.11.* I think they still have more control in the old ccc section. also make sure your pixel format is set correctly. I know mine changes every other driver update. it may have changed on ya!

If I remember correctly, latest (ReLive) didn't have options for color settings. Yes, I tried also 16.11.* (most likely .4), which did have color settings under My Digital Flat-Panels > Display Color (Digital Flat-Panels), but that doesn't have slider for Gamma (Desktop Management > Desktop Color in old CCC has it).

Did you reset your monitor for any contrast/brightness settings? Are you using the same input on the 480 that you used on the old card?

I didn't reset contrast/brightness settings. If by the same input you mean Displayport on both cards, then yes, I'm using hte same input.

Too bad it's not possible to test different settings on VM, but the next best thing is SSD cloning, which I'll be able to do soon, hopefully.

I didn't reset contrast/brightness settings. If by the same input you mean Displayport on both cards, then yes, I'm using hte same input.

I'd go ahead and reset your monitor, and retweak. But, that's just me. Also, manually setting refresh rate might help as well.

Back