From OCZ Vertex 2 (2010 model) to Samsung 850 EVO, worth it?

Tordek

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi,

Quick question, im considering this upgrade and, from everywhere I'm reading, the performance boost is quite significant but Im wondering still about real world performance versus my current and if any new tech is on the horizon.
Any suggestions?

For my "perspective" on good performance, my current SSD holds Fallout 4 and I'm quite happy with loading times.
(probably answering my own question here though...)

Thanks!

Yes you will notice a significant increase in speed and performance. Probably not as big of a difference vs a HDD, nut still noticeable.

ANd as cheap as SSD's are, there is no reason to not upgrade.

What's the rest of your system looking like? Unless for capacity, you really won't notice a difference in real world experience other than psychologically. An app loading 1-3 seconds faster isn't a big reason to upgrade, but capacity sure is (assuming you're not doing much more than the average user)...

What's the rest of your system looking like? Unless for capacity, you really won't notice a difference in real world experience other than psychologically. An app loading 1-3 seconds faster isn't a big reason to upgrade, but capacity sure is (assuming you're not doing much more than the average user)...

Thats exactly what I'm thinking, here are my specs:

I2500K @ 4.5GHz (with hyper212 on top of it)
MSI P67a GD65
12Gb RAM @1333 (board just wont stay at 1600 when using all four slots)
2x GTX 970 SLI both @ +150/+500 on afterburner
OCZ Vertex 2
A couple mechanical drives

Yes you will notice a significant increase in speed and performance. Probably not as big of a difference vs a HDD, nut still noticeable.

ANd as cheap as SSD's are, there is no reason to not upgrade.

Well yes, quite cheap @ .40ish per GB but those $150-200 I would be dropping on the EVO 850 could also go into a new motherboard (see related problem above as well) to jump the DDR4 bandwagon once it starts rolling...

Probably just better off waiting until your next build and then getting whatever SSD / NVMe / PCIe tech is available then.

As a person whose OCD Vertex 2 died on him, I would recommend doing frequent backups. :)

As a person whose OCD Vertex 2 died on him, I would recommend doing frequent backups. :)

THIS. With a five-year old Vertex 2, you're playing with fire unless you do frequent backups. Get a replacement, doesn't have to be an Evo. Crucial BX100 250GB is $70 on Amazon, last I checked.

Back