From Intel Core i5-2430M to Intel Core i7-3610QE?

joeesk123

n00b
I have a question. I have an old Sony Vaio laptop (VPCEJ2Z1E) with an i5-2430M processor. The chipset is a HM65 motherboard.

I had looked at the compatibility of HM65 boards on the CPU Upgrade website and looked out for the i7-3610QE in terms of price-performance.

But if I go to the i5-2430M, the i7-3610QE is not displayed. Also, the i5 stands for Sandy Bridge while the i7 stands for Ivy Bridge.

Luckily the CPU isn't soldered in, whether it's tied to the BIOS is possible, but I don't know.

So will the change work out or should I rather look through a different construction?

Perhaps look to see what CPUs were originally offered with other variations of that laptop? If it ever shipped with any ivy bridge, then there is a good chance that it supports most/all of them. Moving from a dual-core to a quad-core, you also need to consider the cooling in the laptop as well as the power brick. If the cooling isn't adequate and causes the CPU to throttle, the upgrade will be pointless. The CPU might also throttle if the power brick does not supply enough power. If they did offer versions of that laptop that came with a quad-core CPU, those might have came with a larger power brick also.

Perhaps look to see what CPUs were originally offered with other variations of that laptop? If it ever shipped with any ivy bridge, then there is a good chance that it supports most/all of them. Moving from a dual-core to a quad-core, you also need to consider the cooling in the laptop as well as the power brick. If the cooling isn't adequate and causes the CPU to throttle, the upgrade will be pointless. The CPU might also throttle if the power brick does not supply enough power. If they did offer versions of that laptop that came with a quad-core CPU, those might have came with a larger power brick also.
thank's for the Tipps

Also, the i5 stands for Sandy Bridge while the i7 stands for Ivy Bridge.

Not correct. The i3/i5/i7 designation are for CPU features, not architecture. The four digit number on the end designates what generation the CPU is from. 2xxx is Sandy Bridge, 3xxx is Ivy Bridge, 4xxx is Haswell, etc. There are i3/i5/i7 processors in every generation of Intel CPUs since Bloomfield.

The majority of 6x series (sandy bridge) motherboards need a bios update in order to use ivy bridge to begin with, a number of them cannot support ivy bridge at all. Also, going from a i5 (2 core, 4 thread) to a i7 (4 core, 8 thread) your thermal system might not support cooling it.

Officially, your laptop does not support any ivy bridge processor, it *might* work if you can get someone to add the microcode support in the bios for it.

Back