From ATI to AMD back to ATI? A Journey in Futility @ [H]

It's a risk, sure. AIBs may not have much better luck which means I'll have some tough choices ahead in regard to buying a GPU. Once reviews are out I'll know what the playing field looks like. Committing to a purchase based purely on feelings and hype is a one-way ticket on the train to disappointment.

Weren't they saying that exact same thing about the FE 1080 cards as well? Now its a huge deal. :unsure:

You can't compare to the 1080, the 1080 at stock is 30% faster than a stock Titan X, that is a performance card that is trumping the best of the best enthusiast level card for last gen. That is impressive, yeah the FE version is meaningless but the performance speaks for itself.

The rx480 its good performance for the cost, but it isn't something we haven't seen before. its a good upgrade product for people with less than a r390 or gtx 970, and are looking to upgrade. Will it sustain AMD, yes and it will sell well, but its not completely in their hands, its highly dependent on the 1060 timing and performance. That is why AMD's marketing is BS, because you don't leave things like this to chance and you definitely don't leave it in a competitor's hands when you are making a gamble!

That is like holding a dead man's hand in poker and playing like you have you have three of kind you just don't do that unless you want to get burned.

Yeah - OCN's AMD brigade is already in full damage control mode. Really is hilarious.

I just went onto that site and looked around, I saw nothing of what you are talking about. Taking stabs at other sites are not cool.

It's a risk, sure. AIBs may not have much better luck which means I'll have some tough choices ahead in regard to buying a GPU. Once reviews are out I'll know what the playing field looks like. Committing to a purchase based purely on feelings and hype is a one-way ticket on the train to disappointment.

I do not see why that would be the case. We already knew what we where getting more or less before today so I do not see any issue with buying this card even based on the hype and feelings of it all. It you prefer AMD, this would be an excellent choice to go with compared to everything else in that price range.

Honestly, at this point, paying anything above $400 that cannot do 4k on a single card is a waste of money in my opinion. (That includes Vega if it turns out like that.) If I still had my 290x, I would probably just stick with that since I barely game anymore but, that is just me.

I just went onto that site and looked around, I saw nothing of what you are talking about. Taking stabs at other sites are not cool.
Not sure if serious. The posters there don't even hide their antagonism for Kyle or this site in general.

OCN had a great Haswell thread, and that's why I contributed there.
But their GCN fanbase is very active and zealously evangelizes for Team Red :p

Not sure if serious. The posters there don't even hide their antagonism for Kyle or this site in general.

Actually, I am being quite serious. However, it does not matter because I go to all the sites and enjoy each one of them. Besides, Kyle hardly knows everything and I appreciate the detail they give over there that you would never see here. Most posts you would see on here could end up with a bias towards the site and this owner and it is why I appreciate having more than one place to go and read up on things.

The fact that those who use AMD Radeon cards over there are very active is a sign of good things, not bad things. Honestly, I find that NVidia section on that site to be quite boring compared to here.

I do not see why that would be the case. We already knew what we where getting more or less before today so I do not see any issue with buying this card even based on the hype and feelings of it all. It you prefer AMD, this would be an excellent choice to go with compared to everything else in that price range.

Honestly, at this point, paying anything above $400 that cannot do 4k on a single card is a waste of money in my opinion. (That includes Vega if it turns out like that.) If I still had my 290x, I would probably just stick with that since I barely game anymore but, that is just me.

I have a few games I'd like to play but currently don't thanks to playing on an iGPU. What I do play is acceptable on it but I am under no illusions that it can handle what I want to play. Thus, if I see benchmarks on the games that I want to play and they're marginally acceptable on the reference RX 480, maybe a highly overclocked AIB edition would do the trick. If that doesn't look like it will happen it's back to trying to find older tech at rock bottom prices that will hit the performance I want to play within.

Actually, I am being quite serious. However, it does not matter because I go to all the sites and enjoy each one of them. Besides, Kyle hardly knows everything and I appreciate the detail they give over there that you would never see here. Most posts you would see on here could end up with a bias towards the site and this owner and it is why I appreciate having more than one place to go and read up on things.

The fact that those who use AMD Radeon cards over there are very active is a sign of good things, not bad things. Honestly, I find that NVidia section on that site to be quite boring compared to here.

Well of course, I'm not saying you shouldn't go to multiple sites - it's exactly what I do too.
Like I said, the Kepler BIOS thread on OCN and the Haswell thread are compelling reasons to still visit; technical threads are great.

At the same time, the rumor threads leading up to product releases are routinely closed for cleaning.
I see criticisms leveled at Kyle that could very well be leveled at the OCN moderation team or their userbase.

I have a few games I'd like to play but currently don't thanks to playing on an iGPU. What I do play is acceptable on it but I am under no illusions that it can handle what I want to play. Thus, if I see benchmarks on the games that I want to play and they're marginally acceptable on the reference RX 480, maybe a highly overclocked AIB edition would do the trick. If that doesn't look like it will happen it's back to trying to find older tech at rock bottom prices that will hit the performance I want to play within.

Not really sure what games those could possibly be as long as you are playing at 1080p. However, if you are doing 1440p, that might be the case.

So it's just like the zealous Nvidia fanbase here...

Look at the fan speed (1886 RPM). Its tuned for silence. My 290 at 49% will be over 3000 RPM.

That's 290x performance in those 3dmark scores.

I'd say it's nothing different to the Flounders running in silent mode. AMD got mega crap for their 290 blowers being loud and have since learned that most won't understand throttling if it's just slipped in there..
7970s they did well but with smaller TDP.
The RX480 heatsink is pretty small. I can probably get a rough idea of its' thermal efficiency with some calculations but really, it's not going to be super flash from what I've seen anyway.. low fin density, high pressure blower, relatively low surface area not making the most of the air flow pressure advantage of that type of fan.

BUT, it's cheaper than denser, soldered fin vapour chamber heatspreader on the 290x/7970/etc. Which for a $200 card, helps.

If we don't hit FinFET wall then with additional heatsinking, these could clock okay.. I love the new OC tool though. Everything I've ever wanted. 3d detection is great and all but not when you are not maxing the GPU out.

He seems to think AMD overkilled the VRMs on the 480. Could be great if you throw a cheap AIO on it? I like his insight.

For a 150W card I'm glad to see they have a TIM pad on to cool em... good start at least.

I don't know if 1080 is helped much buy additional VRMs, maybe 100MHz with a good cooler. They are volt locked anyway and the volts don't really do shit, they are up against the FinFET wall when approaching 2.1 region on air, considering LN2 only gets you to 2.4-2.5...

Need to know the rating of the VRMs. More phases can help efficiency and voltage stability.

I am sure when the card is released he'll do a tear down. On the 1080FE he did mention the VRMs are 50A/phase. The picture he was working with wasn't clear enough. :)

I don't know if 1080 is helped much buy additional VRMs, maybe 100MHz with a good cooler. They are volt locked anyway and the volts don't really do shit, they are up against the FinFET wall when approaching 2.1 region on air, considering LN2 only gets you to 2.4-2.5...

I think they got up to 2.8 on LN2. But yeah, I don't expect a whole hell of a lot past 2.1. There is a volt mod up already... but the gains (?) aren't worth the work to me.

EDIT: This is a long shot theory but they are probably binning the crap out of these for the AIB custom cards.
Actually, Tom's Hardware was able to demonstrate that AMD used their specially binned chips (I.e. "cherry-picked") for the initial reviews of the reference 290 series and 7990 cards.
Sidebar: Variability Turns Into A Graphics Card Crapshoot - AMD Radeon R9 290 Review: Fast And $400, But Is It Consistent?

The Curious Case Of AMD's Radeon 290x 'Golden Press Sample'

GPU And Case Temperatures, Plus Noise - Radeon HD 7990 In CrossFire: The Red Wedding Of Graphics

And if you think about it, that makes a lot of sense. For many review sites, that initial performance result will be reused over and over as the true measure of baseline performance. It's critical to set the initial perception as high as possible.

Hopefully AMD isn't following down that same path with cherry-picked review samples. But these are desperate times at AMD, and this is one of the most critical releases they have had in quite some time.

I still don't get why zero review sites report on the ASIC score of the chip in the card they have under review. They all use GPU-Z, why not show the ASIC score..... Kyle?

Actually, Tom's Hardware was able to demonstrate that AMD used their specially binned chips (I.e. "cherry-picked") for the initial reviews of the reference 290 series and 7990 cards.
Sidebar: Variability Turns Into A Graphics Card Crapshoot - AMD Radeon R9 290 Review: Fast And $400, But Is It Consistent?

The Curious Case Of AMD's Radeon 290x 'Golden Press Sample'

GPU And Case Temperatures, Plus Noise - Radeon HD 7990 In CrossFire: The Red Wedding Of Graphics

And if you think about it, that makes a lot of sense. For many review sites, that initial performance result will be reused over and over as the true measure of baseline performance. It's critical to set the initial perception as high as possible.

Hopefully AMD isn't following down that same path with cherry-picked review samples. But these are desperate times at AMD, and this is one of the most critical releases they have had in quite some time.

I still don't get why zero review sites report on the ASIC score of the chip in the card they have under review. They all use GPU-Z, why not show the ASIC score..... Kyle?

Samples are always the best case scenario since they weren't part of a mass production normally. You can call it cherry picked etc but in reality its just an "ES" model that is built for testing since the chip was thoroughly tested before sent to the reviewers. I mean, receiving a dead card for review would be much more embarrassing because they decided to just pull one from the shelf and send it.

290x golden press sample was debunked due to the retail cards receiving a BIOS update.

All the same, it wouldn't hurt to list the ASIC. And you never know, maybe some patterns would emerge.

After all, someone's going through a lot of trouble to rate and apply ASIC scores to GPUs. There must be a reason for it.

I know the GTX 580 had BIOS instructions that defaulted to lower voltage settings for a higher ASIC chip, for example. That would have had a direct impact on review results in terms of heat and power consumption, not to mention overclocking potential.

I just don't get it. We get almost every possible detail on the cards under review. But ASIC is like a taboo subject.
GPU-Z support for ASIC readings does not usually come in day 0. It took like half a month (and over month since reviews) for it to land for Pascal, for example. And it mostly had same registers indicating that as Maxwell.

As much as I want to rebel, I don't have enough cards. Send me a few RX 480 and I'll think of something.

both are fury x's, the second link they just listed the family name no card name.

Reactions: Nenu
like this
That went well.
H BOMB.jpg

I stand behind every word written as being 100% true. AMD fanboys can believe what they wish.

Tomorrow will be interesting. After all that's been said about the 480 I'll be interesting to see how the expectations are met. I'm guessing something about the GTX 980 performance wise overall with not tons of overclocking room in at least the reference version. And if it does that it's a winner. But if the WCCFTech rumors are true that the 1060 is launching Sunday, there may not be a lot of time to celebrate.

That puts the writing on the wall then. Expect a bad review. Not surprised.

I expect a fair review, Kyle did give a lot of flak to the Fury Nano and still gotten a gold rating. If the performances holds true for RX480, then I probably expect silver to gold rating from [H] given the price.

Tomorrow will be interesting. After all that's been said about the 480 I'll be interesting to see how the expectations are met. I'm guessing something about the GTX 980 performance wise overall with not tons of overclocking room in at least the reference version. And if it does that it's a winner. But if the WCCFTech rumors are true that the 1060 is launching Sunday, there may not be a lot of time to celebrate.

1060 launching sunday lol. Seriously don't you think that just sounds like to slow down rx 480 sales. Its more of a political move than anything it seems. I bet 1060 is not actually launched until august in availability wise like it was always planned. May be paper launch just like gtx 1080 and 1070?

Well, AMD announced the RX 480 at Computex and Macau and didn't want to release until June 29th. If they wanted to mitigate from a 1060 launch which we knew was going to happen (we had photos of the GPU itself over a month ago) that's purely on AMD's shoulders.

These guys disagree with you. Of course they could be all wet.

AMD, Nvidia next-generation graphics card competition to begin earlier

I know but they say near future. August is a month away lol. That is near future no? It's just nvidia releasing some news. If they were so ready you bet they would have scheduled an announcement already like tomorrow. Who knows like I said we might see a paper launch with availability in august.

Competition is good for us. I can thank amd for it i guess for once!

Well, AMD announced the RX 480 at Computex and Macau and didn't want to release until June 29th. If they wanted to mitigate from a 1060 launch which we knew was going to happen (we had photos of the GPU itself over a month ago) that's purely on AMD's shoulders.

but the thing is amd wanted to do hard launch. Whats the point of announcing a product if its mainstream that no one can buy. Its pointless.

Like I said 1060 paper launched in july and available in august!

1060 launching sunday lol. Seriously don't you think that just sounds like to slow down rx 480 sales. Its more of a political move than anything it seems. I bet 1060 is not actually launched until august in availability wise like it was always planned. May be paper launch just like gtx 1080 and 1070?

Correction, not July 3, I read that wrong, my bad. Just July sometime in July. You might very well be correct, it clearly feels like a marketing move. But if the 1060 does actually launch in July with supply I wouldn't call that a particularly devious marketing move. My guess is that most people would hold off and want to see comparisons before buying either if the launches will be that close together.

That puts the writing on the wall then. Expect a bad review. Not surprised.
It continually amazes me how narrow minded and short sighted some of you guys are. The editorial was a discussion about AMD as a whole and how Polaris shortcomings are going to impact it business-wise on a large scale. Our Polaris review will tell our readers how much of a value that the RX 480 can be to them and whether or not it is a value at its price point.

For such a volume card to be launched Sunday and one photo leak (if real)? 99.9% chance of WsaltsaltFTech

I was never in the market for a reference RX 480 anyway. I'm waiting for an AIB version which likely won't launch until July 11th. I've been holding off buying a GPU since last March; what's another few weeks on top of that to make an informed decision?

Take the site bashing somewhere else. Any more and you will be banned. Well, you can bash on HardOCP, but take comments about other tech sites somewhere else...

Tomorrow sure will be interesting! Can't wait to see what Brent says. Bed time.

Back