From ATI to AMD back to ATI? A Journey in Futility @ [H]

I had to double check if this was a megalith post...

Amd has plenty of harpoons as it were.
Polaris faked benches are placing the mid range cards at 1080 speeds... Keep in mind 1080 is supposed to be a flag ship top end card from nvidia If the benches are close where will the 490 and 490x sit what about the fury 2

Zen is currently being spoken as 2 times as fast at the 8350 so it sits zen right in position to tea bag intel's top cpu if zen can match the 1500$ intel parts with 300-600 $ zen parts we will have the herald of the old amd coming back to stomp some face...

The one I saw placed Polaris CF slower than a single 1080

AMD Radeon R9 480 3DMark11 benchmarks | VideoCardz.com

You do realize that thoses benchmark my not be entirely true rigth? for all we know it be APU Polaris GFXBench results or even planted fake bench results that why it best just wait and see when all the hardware reviewer get them then we all can go into :ninja: mode LoL.

He specifically referenced "faked benchmarks", I suppose these faked benchmarks are as valid as his faked benchmarks.

yeah and anyone who suggests this makes no sense, is a fanboy according to posters here. Console deals, apple deals, rumors of other laptops getting polaris 11,, deals here, deals there. All these companies wanting polaris... but its rubbish. Like they would not know what they were buying into. Even with the demonstrations months ago contradicting this article, anyone thinking otherwise is a fanboy. A tiny one page opinionated piece is more believable than all that...

AMD had plenty of console deals, they are powering all the consoles out there today. But look at their finances, they are still bleeding cash.

Having many deals doesn't mean they have produce something that will turn things around.

Sorry but this is pure conjecture. That AMD has excellent software engineers is evidenced in Mantle inspiring a whole generation of graphic API's like DX12, Vulkan and Metal. One could argue the impact of Mantle is bigger than anything Nvidia has ever done in terms of graphics software.

Similar can be said for their hardware engineers. But you don't have to take my word for it. An Intel architect did a Reddit AMA while back and this is what he had to say about AMD's hw engineers:

HBM is an example of a cutting edge technology AMD has been able to contribute to the industry on a shoestring budget. As far as AMD's quality in Mac Pros, I don't know how much of that is Mac Pro's poor airflow and how much of that is bad GPU QC, but one thing is for certain, AMD's GPUs would not be the prefered Ethereum miners if they had poor quality. Those Ethereum mining rigs are stressed 24/7 and they handle the stress just fine. If anything it's Nvidia that has a shady history of hardware quality with the bumpgate.

Sorry, I've been lurking on here for awhile but your post begged a response.

I don't think anyone here is questioning their engineering prowess, just a lot of us here are just wondering what the heck is AMD doing to our once beloved ATI.

yeah those are the ones they place a single 480x at a place between fury x and 980 then in CF the only one that beats them is the 1080 and by only like 5-10% now keep in mind 490 490x and nano, fury, fury x replacement parts will sit above this at the very least.

In order to compare this fairly the 1070 980 ti and 980 and 970 are eligible as those are the competing parts

just like on the amd side these are to replace the 380 and 380x not the 390 and 390x

It's in AMD's best interest to always send an invite to [H] for the benefit of the readers/community of [H] - regardless of whos name it is AMD has to write out on the invitation. Instead - by blacklisting [H] they are sending the message that the AMD owners in the [H] forums/AMD owners who read [H] reviews - or potential AMD owners of the same group(s) - don't matter to AMD - whether that was AMD's intention or not.

Playing Devil's Advocate the same "best interest" argument can be made for the part [H] played in this feud. As a result, members are now forced to seek other forums/sites for the latest AMD insider news/reviews.

For the benefit of forum members, I respectfully ask Kyle to do what it takes to stop this petty feud with those at AMD who were equal culprits in this dumb stand-off.

AdoredTV has sources you can check. Half of it is opinion, but he states it. But opinion based on real sources. So far, lots of good things are going AMD's way. Given that AMD's claims prove true.

The guy is a duffus. He is literally the youtube version of Charlie. Charilie stated he had an EE degree over at B3D years back, you know that, do you see his EE knowledge in his blogs. I see none!

Nope, cause neither of us have anything. My suggestion is to wait for AMD to release info. Cause all we have is speculation, and assumptions. And you know what they say when you assume.

Assumption based on something realistic is not an assumption.

Yes, who would ever listen to YouTubers. People like Linus, Wendell from Tek Syndicate, and JayzTwoCents. Such rubbish. :whistle:

Youtube is the bane of idiocy, people believe anything on the internet its worse with Youtube.

I really don't care about performance per watt. For Laptops it matters, but not my desktop. As far as speculation, I'd rather wait for AMD to release their NDA or whatever so I can see the benchmarks myself. I don't like to speculate on nothing. At that point, I might as well pretend to be Nostradamus.

I'm not pretending to be Nostradamus, its called based on what AMD is saying, you were one of the guys that believed Fury X benchmarks by AMD were GREAT and it was going to the best card when it came out. There is a difference between guessing and deductive reasoning. Guess what don't fall for marketing.

If AMD is saying 2.0 perf/watt increase over current mid range we should expect it to be less but for now lets take it at face value.

Perf/watt has a performance component to it. But its not direct, so if you can't figure that out, why do you even think AMD can compete? Out of fairness, it seems you don't understand power usage is the limiting factor of end performance.

I don't think anyone here is questioning their engineering prowess, just a lot of us here are just wondering what the heck is AMD doing to our once beloved ATI.
I've often heard folks say this before, but I actually don't feel like ATI ever left, if anything it's the AMD side of the business that's been absent in a big way.

As far as Radeon is concerned, they have committed to the GCN which cost them some efficiency along the way. But I would argue that they didn't have any choice. GCN is what the custom-semi business has demanded (Sony and MS). It's a fact that a good portion of the compute resources of the 28nm generation of Radeons is simply underutilized in DX11 loads or is just not optimized for that paradigm. This is evident when looking at DX12 and Vulkan benchmarks where GCN really performs as it should. It is also why AMD's GPU drivers tend to have more CPU overhead, as they need to perform a level of translation in order to adapt DX11 calls to GCN. I mean it's easy to just blame the drivers for not being optimized, but I believe the architectural difference of what the old API's and engines expect and what GCN expects is a more obvious culprit.

It's an architectural forward looking bet they made years ago, and it's something that has just now started to pay dividends. Polaris hasn't been released yet, and AMD has been taking Nvidia's market share in the last two quarters sequentially. source: (Market Watch - Jon Peddie Research Publications)

Perhaps it's easy to criticize it looking at it from the enthusiast perspective, but I don't think it's such a foolish bet when looking at it from a business perspective. Being the sole provider of console parts is a pretty significant strategic position to be in. After all in terms of raw numbers console gaming is 80% of the gaming market at the very least. And no matter how razor thin console SoC margins are they are still the biggest source of AMD's income. And it's what's keeping the company alive.

AMD has a monopoly in consoles and it's only natural that they will concentrate their efforts there. But it's more than just getting the 100% of the console business. It's about the ecosystem. ATI has for years struggled to rally the developers around its products to no avail. Nvidia has traditionally always had an edge there. Most game studios developed on Nvidia hardware for Nvidia hardware.

When 5870 was released it was ostensibly by far the best card on the market. And ATI/AMD still barely broke 50% of the GPU desktop marketshare. I think Radeon folks realized that they would never be able to compete with Nvidia on an equal footing unless something drastically changed, and they saw that opportunity in consoles. For the first time ever the majority of game development is happening on AMD's hardware. And this would not be possible without the AMD's x86.

The Radeon group needs AMD as much as AMD needs the Radeon group. Those who don't see it are not paying attention.

Reactions: birch
like this
It's an architectural forward looking bet they made years ago, and it's something that has just now started to pay dividends. Polaris hasn't been released yet, and AMD has been taking Nvidia's market share in the last two quarters sequentially. source: (Market Watch - Jon Peddie Research Publications)
With no competition for 9 months, AMD has no where to go but up after they hit 18.8% marketshare. One year to gain 4% marketshare is not good! its just a market equilibrium shifting a bit because of the competition (desktop) notebook is normal shifting we have seen 20% shifts in either direction many many times.

Perhaps it's easy to criticize it looking at it from the enthusiast perspective, but I don't think it's such a foolish bet when looking at it from a business perspective. Being the sole provider of console parts is a pretty significant strategic position to be in. After all in terms of raw numbers console gaming is 80% of the gaming market at the very least. And no matter how razor thin console SoC margins are they are still the biggest source of AMD's income. And it's what's keeping the company alive.

AMD has a monopoly in consoles and it's only natural that they will concentrate their efforts there. But it's more than just getting the 100% of the console business. It's about the ecosystem. ATI has for years struggled to rally the developers around its products to no avail. Nvidia has traditionally always had an edge there. Most game studios developed on Nvidia hardware for Nvidia hardware.

The ecosystem only works if AMD has the resources to back it up, right now they don't and last years misfire didn't help, it made it much worse.

The rest of what ya said ya I agree with.

Reactions: muxr
like this
Sorry but this is pure conjecture. That AMD has excellent software engineers is evidenced in Mantle inspiring a whole generation of graphic API's like DX12, Vulkan and Metal. One could argue the impact of Mantle is bigger than anything Nvidia has ever done in terms of graphics software.

Similar can be said for their hardware engineers. But you don't have to take my word for it. An Intel architect did a Reddit AMA while back and this is what he had to say about AMD's hw engineers:

HBM is an example of a cutting edge technology AMD has been able to contribute to the industry on a shoestring budget. As far as AMD's quality in Mac Pros, I don't know how much of that is Mac Pro's poor airflow and how much of that is bad GPU QC, but one thing is for certain, AMD's GPUs would not be the prefered Ethereum miners if they had poor quality. Those Ethereum mining rigs are stressed 24/7 and they handle the stress just fine. If anything it's Nvidia that has a shady history of hardware quality with the bumpgate.

Sorry, I've been lurking on here for awhile but your post begged a response.

I agree with you and what you are saying. I thing that AMD bringing 64bit x86 CPUs to the desktop changed our lives forever. They also made them affordable for servers.

I always used the best tool for the job, ever since the early 90s when I started building my own computers. For example I didn't like the AMD K5 as it was sub par compared to the Pentium (post FDIV bug). After that the K6 was bettern than the Pentium MMX, so I stayed with AMD all the way until the AMD Athlon 64 X2 (that would be the K6 3D - yeah, that one was more of a gimmick, K6 II and K6 III, K7, Duron & Thunderbird, Athlon 64). They always had a better solution that made more sense than what Intel was peddling. Remember RDRAM for the first Pentium 4? That was so stupid that Intel backed out of the deal with Rambus. That's when AMD gained the most loyal following, and instead of marching on and creating a Core 2 competitor in 2006, they acquired ATI.

So yes, while I agree that they have incredible talent, they have terrible people at the helm. AMDs decision makers have shown that they are incapable of proper execution, or this article that we are all commenting about shows, AMDs shot callers don't even have the company's best interest at heart anymore. AMD spent around 5 billion dollars to acquire ATI - AMD & ATI: The Acquisition from all Points of View

And now this guy wants to spin off ATI on its own? That is futile indeed.

Or how about this: now that 14nm FinFET is within reach for AMD via Global Foundries, they could have updated Fury with HDMI 2.0 and support for GDDR5X and released a higher clocked Fury X on 14nm with 8GB GDDR5X. That would have been a nice product to compete with Pascal, even if a bit slower. Why didn't AMD bother at all? Instead they released the Radeon Pro Duo, a card that nobody asked for: Radeon Pro Duo

So it's not like AMD is not capable of creating great products, but more like they are run into the ground by idiots. It almost sounds like a conspiracy theory: maybe their competitors planted their own people in key positions at AMD to sabotage the company and run it into the ground slowly. I mean the way that AMD has behaved in the past few years, this conspiracy theory sounds about as plausible as any.

PS: Read some of the comments from 10 years ago on Anandtech about the ATI acquisition. God, some of those ideas: AMD & ATI: The Acquisition from all Points of View

Last edited:
Checkmate, well done! Singling out an outlier of historic proportions is irrefutable proof stock performance is not only meaningless but criminal.

Stocks Basics: How Stocks Trade | Investopedia

If you want to talk about basics, what is AMD's P/E ratio and what is its earning potential in the next 5 years? Then lets look at this, what is its debt to earning ratio? Now lets look at this what is the assets to debt ratio after this break it down to liquid assets to debt ratio and how does that impact the loans they have to repay that are coming up? I can go into this all day long if you like but end results; all of these things will show AMD is in the dumps, but still the stock price went up

Yes I know stocks well, I worked at Credit Suisse for over a year and have worked with automated stock purchase models which traders use to purchase stocks.

The one thing that those models have a hard time figuring out, the psychological factor and when you have a volatile market like we are in now, and a super volatile sector and season sector like semiconductors, that factor is very large.

Last edited:
AdoredTV has sources you can check. Half of it is opinion, but he states it. But opinion based on real sources. So far, lots of good things are going AMD's way. Given that AMD's claims prove true.

Nope, cause neither of us have anything. My suggestion is to wait for AMD to release info. Cause all we have is speculation, and assumptions. And you know what they say when you assume.

Yes, who would ever listen to YouTubers. People like Linus, Wendell from Tek Syndicate, and JayzTwoCents. Such rubbish. :whistle:

I really don't care about performance per watt. For Laptops it matters, but not my desktop. As far as speculation, I'd rather wait for AMD to release their NDA or whatever so I can see the benchmarks myself. I don't like to speculate on nothing. At that point, I might as well pretend to be Nostradamus.

please don't group wendell from tek syndicate with those other 2 twats.

wendell is a really smart guy the other 2....

mr look at me i'm striping 3 raid 5's in windows and hey look im gonna drill through my motherboard.

Apple contract isn't anything high volume - look at their product stack it's intel igpu in almost everything except some high end skus
Also being Apple, AMD probably cannot charge them much as they would like to.

As if two forum members on the internet have the slightest knowledge of any potential contractual agreement between Apple and AMD is comical.

Apple is not high volume at all (what is apple's PC marketshare?). And the people that buy Apple products most of them aren't look for dGPU's, they really don't do any hardcore gaming because very few games are available for Apple OS's. The people that do buy Apple for graphics are people who use Photoshop or imaging software (Adobe and a few others). So you are talking about a small% of a small %.

Yeah I see you have thought that one through........

Apple is not high volume at all (what is apple's PC marketshare?). And the people that buy Apple products most of them aren't look for dGPU's, they really don't do any hardcore gaming because very few games are available for Apple OS's. The people that do buy Apple for graphics are people who use Photoshop or imaging software (Adobe and a few others). So you are talking about a small% of a small %.

To be honest. You would not believe how many people buy apple MAc's and Imac's. You would think it would be a small market....But its shows how well marketing does.

Dude, you're getting a Mac

The channel you linked wasn't any of those. The channel you linked probably looks to HardOCP for sources to his commentary on hardware that he will probably never actually get his hands on. The source you linked regurgitates news from other sites, Kyle probably has Chris Hook as a contact in his phone. There's a pretty big difference.

I disagree. Apple users like to have a decent GPU inside their machine for Final Cut Pro X, Adobe Premiere, Adobe After Effects, Cinema 4D, Octane Renderer and other applications that can leverage GPU power. Also many Mac users like to dual boot Windows with Mac OS X, mostly for gaming when they want to disconnect from work. Most Mac users buy a Mac because OS X is a much more pleasant environment to work in than Windows, and because they also like the overall aesthetics of the machine. The only reason why Apple is buying GPUs from AMD is because they can get them cheaper than from NVIDIA, and because they don't want to be locked in any kind of NVIDIA proprietary tech like CUDA for example. Apple loves Open CL (okay, Open CL runs on NVIDIA cards as well, but CUDA doesn't run on AMD cards). So Apple doesn't really want CUDA for any GPU accelerated apps because they have no control over it.

Anyway, most folks in the Mac community are pissed about Apple's decision to go exclusively with AMD GPUs due to poor performance, poor energy efficiency and ... lots of heat output. Coupled with Apple's tendency to not provide proper cooling for any of their machines, it's not exactly an ideal solution to stick something like an M395X 4GB inside an iMac. As soon as you use that GPU for any kind of heavy video rendering, it will overheat. Regardless, Apple doesn't care, all they want to get out of their machines is 3+ years before they break and fill the landfills.

Lastly, AMD doesn't make custom GPUs for Apple. They just rebadge and downclock existing GPUs for Apple, like the D300, D500 and D700, all outdated GPUs that under-perform when compared to their PC counterparts.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
^^^^ Once I ignored Ieldra my days on this forum became bliss!

Got a TON of assorted buffoons, clowns, douch-nozzles and asshats on my list, so much less agitation when visiting these forums. Never would have thought the [H] crew/forums as a result of "info" like this post might soon join Ignore as well, but, I will not mourn or shed tears if that comes to pass.

Got a TON of assorted buffoons, clowns, douch-nozzles and asshats on my list, so much less agitation when visiting these forums. Never would have thought the [H] crew/forums as a result of "info" like this post might soon join Ignore as well, but, I will not mourn or shed tears if that comes to pass.

Yea it is getting harder not to step in the bullshit.

Back on Topic. So the NDA is now June 29th? Huh....Curious if that is a hard launch, or review launch 1 week later?

Too bad Kyle couldn't get more insider info on that 0_o

Back on Topic. So the NDA is now June 29th?

A NDA supposedly (according to the now removed image posted by dglee) expires on the 29th. Could be Polaris, could be Vega, could be Zen, nobody outside of those attending the Macau event or AMD know exactly what NDA lifts on the 29th.

But predictably, that hasn't stopped the anti-AMD contingents in the various tech communities from proclaiming it's about Polaris, it's a paper-launch, AMD is DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED as a result. LOL

A NDA supposedly (according to the now removed image posted by dglee) expires on the 29th. Could be Polaris, could be Vega, could be Zen, nobody outside of those attending the Macau event or AMD know exactly what NDA lifts on the 29th.

It's not Zen and it's not Vega. AMD was very clear on its most recent earnings call that Polaris is what ramps over the next couple of quarters. Vega is squarely in 2017.

The images even showed that the event was a "Polaris Tech Day."

Not sure I even want to enter this fray but here it goes...

Question: Are there any facts in the article? Seriously, because I think I must have missed them the 3 times I read the article. I see some inference based on known facts. The Intel possible-future-dealings with AMD linked earlier and known for months. The performance disparity between the 1080 and the possible-Pascal release. The split off of RTG from the Main AMD (quite common when one does well and the other does not, helps with taxes and profits).

Then from there a lot of inference as to outcomes, with inference being the word throughout and no real statement to the end result. So even I cant be sure what it is that a lot of you think is so groundbreaking and Pulitzer worthy. I can't say one way or another what the outcome will be but I am not sure the article shed any real light or gave any concrete results either.

On the topic of stocks: Stock prices going up does not mean healthy all the time. If one believes the company well sell the price will go up.

It's not Zen and it's not Vega. AMD was very clear on its most recent earnings call that Polaris is what ramps over the next couple of quarters. Vega is squarely in 2017.

The images even showed that the event was a "Polaris Tech Day."

Polaris RELEASES before Vega or Zen, certainly.

That still leaves open the possibilty that info on Vega and/or Zen are shared with the Macau attendees and the NDA ON THAT INFO is what will expire on the 29th.

Again, only AMD and the Macau attendees know for sure what the June 29th NDA pertains to.

Living in an echo chamber isn’t healthy. While iron sharpens iron, it’s both worthwhile and responsible to hear opposing points of view and to have respectful debate and discussion. This is how we learn and grow, even if nobody in the conversation has a change of opinion. Maybe it only serves to hone your arguments, but it is never hurtful to know what your opposition has to say. One doesn’t need to engage in fanboyism arguments, but filtering out other members only makes your world more insular. Blocking out opposing viewpoints is weak and reeks of fear of “other.”

Polaris RELEASES before Vega or Zen, certainly.

That still leaves open the possibilty that info on Vega and/or Zen are shared with the Macau attendees and the NDA ON THAT INFO is what will expire on the 29th.

Again, only AMD and the Macau attendees know for sure what than June 29th NDA pertains to.
Even I would like it to be the others but it is very likely Polaris. Not a big deal. again the products aren't to contend with 1080/1070. Even if 1060 makes it out that is still only one card against the few others of AMD.

Living in an echo chamber isn’t healthy. While iron sharpens iron, it’s both worthwhile and responsible to hear opposing points of view and to have respectful debate and discussion. This is how we learn and grow, even if nobody in the conversation has a change of opinion. Maybe it only serves to hone your arguments, but it is never hurtful to know what your opposition has to say. One doesn’t need to engage in fanboyism arguments, but filtering out other members only makes your world more insular. Blocking out opposing viewpoints is weak and reeks of fear of “other.”
While agree for the most part (no ignores on my list), sometimes it does get necessary to block the constant antagonist to keep from receiving infractions or stressing to the point of a heart attack.

Even I would like it to be the others but it is very likely Polaris.

Absolutely, the NDA is likely about Polaris. Only time will tell. And when Polaris drops, if a pair of either Polaris 11 or 10 equal or exceed 1070/1080 for less money, then Kyle was wholly incorrect, and AMD WOULD have an answer for 1070/1080. Again, only time will tell on that score as well.

Opposing viewpoints are fine.

Infantile ass-clowns flinging their diaper loads all over the various tech-forums to the point that it infringes a person's enjoyment/sanity when visiting forums, yeah those go straight to Ignore List, thank you very much.

What is unfortunate for us [H] fans is that Kyle has just crushed his reputation throughout the computer hardware sites/forums. We are now the laughing stock of every other site. Not my opinion, just browse through any of the top comp sites and see for yourselves...................

While I am in agreement with you, the guy he was referring to is beyond over the top obnoxious at times..

He apparently is a materials engineer, a computer engineer, an electrical engineer, a triple A game designer and publisher, and now I see he is a financial trader/stock expert..
I've tried to like the guy but the "I'm soooo fucking smarter then you peons" attitude just leaks through and overshadows any actual point he attempts to make IMO...

Back on topic. ..Man Kyle your certainly did you best to crush the tech enthusiast portion of the 'net...You have dudes on OCN rocking in the corner crying tears while slathering themselves and their favorite GPU in lube for some love you long time action :)...

I have been here since '97, with that blurb of Voodoo news I passed onto you making the front page being a teenage nerd milestone (think that was '99 though)..I know you call it as you see it, and while I have felt a slightly negative undertone to some of your forum comments regarding RTG products, I have brushed it off since I know there was still things unsettled with you and their shitty marketing department...

Glad to hear you did not self yourself out for a whopping weekend trip and a few page clicks...I am curious to see how your thoughts/predictions play out over the next month or so...As a big AMD fan, I say this with baited breath. ..The next 3 quarters are critical for AMD...

BTW sorry if this format comes out wrong. .I am typing this while in bed with a migraine and I don't use my phone for forum use much..

Last edited:
Elixer;38253155 said:
Kyle reputation can't be any lower than it is now.
If you looked at the site over the years, you would see pure bias writing at work.
Try to point out the discrepancies, and you will get banned in the forums.
I have no idea why anyone would still throw them clicks, even Steve isn't enough to save that site anymore.
That is all they are now, clickbait, and they know it, and people are falling for it hook, line, and sinker.
cpo_sharky;38253178 said:
Kyle has been a drunk sellout for many years now. nVidia and Intel have paid him well so he has twisted his site into a sloppy shithole while dragging his forum members with him. Even more sad is he has a small group of 40-50 ballswingers that defend his drunkard rants as if it were theirs.......pathetic.

Some of the shit from AnandTech Forums............

Some of the shit from AnandTech Forums............
Sadly writing has been on the wall last few years, even if AMD fans won't admit it it. Biggest tell with gpu not as good as hoped was fury cards mostly happened with the nano. AMD posted huge performance boosts which didn't pan out as much as they claimed and when nano was release a lot of review sites were left out of a review sample. I don't see why a case modder would get a card before a reviewer that likely help sell the card long before a modder will. That was latest things to happen, cracks were showing when after 7000 series cards it was pretty much 2 new cards with a new gpu then rest being rebrands of pervious card. Doing a rebrand once isn't really big deal but then it was done a 2nd time using same model numbers instead of least pushing them to a lower number. As much as people hate to see read this story, its very believeable thing as most people that will call it bull have 0 info or able to talk to any people head of a pretty good sized review site would have.

Your reviews are fair but some of your editorials/posts are getting emotional because of how dumb AMD is treating you personally. I want that same emotion when either company fucks us gamers.

Looks like you got your wish with that latest Nvidia article. Bet there's more where it came from too - single 'dual fets' and similar marketing bs. Way I see it, [H] positions itself as the truth. If someone doesn't have a [H]ardware review for launch, it's an automatic red flag.
This current fuss will be shown to be true and people will learn to respect [H] even more than ever and in turn, keep the manufacturers more honest.
Been lurking here since early 00's too and [H] has always been very accurate and transparent, especially for something of this scale.

Polaris faked benches are placing the mid range cards at 1080 speeds.

Most leaks are not. The general consensus here is expected to be 980-Ti speeds, many 'leak/fake' benches show this too, possibly touch higher if a good chip for P10 full fat. So 390~X- Fury X speed ballpark in AMD speak for single card.
As everyone else said, price will be the main thing. Keep it at or just under $300 if it's close to Fury X and it's a great loss leader to get more market share, plus get people aware or excited about Vega, along with other future improvements and developments. I bet AMD will do another 9700/7950 reference model with Vega, if they can get the kinks ironed out, which can be unlocked for the first few batches to keep the upper midrange interesting. If they and the shareholders are not absolutely batshit insane, they'll force a price war, which means we win. If not, they loose big time come reviews. Their hands are tied really.

What is unfortunate for us [H] fans is that Kyle has just crushed his reputation throughout the computer hardware sites/forums. We are now the laughing stock of every other site. Not my opinion, just browse through any of the top comp sites and see for yourselves...................

Kyle wouldn't do this if he wasn't sure. Now I know the NDA date, along with some much earlier direct info to do with the releases, it leaves me with no doubt to the accuracy of the article. Furthermore, if [H]Forum is accurate with capability predictions and it turns out to be worst case, as Snoop Dog would say; "this shit is official, like a Jihad Muslim with a missile!".

Found a picture of all the other forums in a month or so, after this [H]-Bomb;

4XFaPzP.jpg

Here's to hoping for one last hurrah from Nvidia with a monster 1080 Ti/Titan V before we're stuck with incremental 10% - 20% performance increases every generation like with Intel. :(

Most leaks place P10 at 390/390x-class performance. Not fury X. Not 980ti.

Back