From ATI to AMD back to ATI? A Journey in Futility @ [H]

So you're saying if a Polaris equipped card is reviewed in the proper context it could also get a Gold award. But by all means expect a tiny GPU to compete with the likes of the 1080 makes perfect sense because 14nm and 16nm.

I never seen a [H] videocard review where the score was lowered or not gotten out of spite. So why would [H] start doing it now ?

Einstein said "It can scarcely be denied that the supreme goal of all theory is to make the irreducible basic elements as simple and as few as possible without having to surrender the adequate representation of a single datum of experience." You have simplified far too much, Einstein would not be amused.

Einstein's quote is often (over-)simplified to "Things should be as simple as possible, but no simpler." How ironic is that!

Good quote!

I had to double check if this was a megalith post...

Amd has plenty of harpoons as it were.
Polaris faked benches are placing the mid range cards at 1080 speeds... Keep in mind 1080 is supposed to be a flag ship top end card from nvidia If the benches are close where will the 490 and 490x sit what about the fury 2

Zen is currently being spoken as 2 times as fast at the 8350 so it sits zen right in position to tea bag intel's top cpu if zen can match the 1500$ intel parts with 300-600 $ zen parts we will have the herald of the old amd coming back to stomp some face...

Last edited:
So you're saying if a Polaris equipped card is reviewed in the proper context it could also get a Gold award. But by all means expect a tiny GPU to compete with the likes of the 1080 makes perfect sense because 14nm and 16nm.

If the performance was there and price correctly. Correct me if I am wrong, but as I recalled there is no Polaris with HBM, only GDDR5 and GDDR5X, so those cards will be big.

I don't believe this for a second. I feel this entire article is based off personal hurt emotions. Emotions can be HUGE to some folks. Personally, I feel AMD has great plan in place and that lots of people will be "stunned" with their price per performance cards coming up which will soon negate these allegations, Mark it down..

Think I used this quote before
The best-laid plans of mice and men often go awry

its not about the plan its about execution of that plan, the risks it entails to get to fruition. Make this down, MANY parts of their plan have already failed because they weren't able to execute last year.

The rest of the crap you have stated looks like you are the one that is taking it personally.

If the performance was there and price correctly. Correct me if I am wrong, but as I recalled there is no Polaris with HBM, only GDDR5 and GDDR5X, so those cards will be big.

You are correct. The Polaris architecture only has GDDR5 and GDDR5X support. The Vega architecture is HBM2.

That is such a nice sentiment especially when you prolly be the first to bitch about the good old days when you could still afford a cpu and gpu without paying premium prices for mid range hardware.

The "good old days" were expensive too. Sure, we didn't pay a grand each for a top end CPU and video card, but CD-RW drives, hard drives, RAM, sound, NIC, etc. all ran hundreds of dollars per component. My 286-25Mhz AMD system was $3000 and 386s were already out. My first 10baseT NIC was $350. This hobby has always been expensive.

So you're saying that Intel, tech behemoth, a corporation with a Market Cap (as of May 2016) of $149.3 Billion, are incompetent nitwits? That Intel wouldn't know exactly what they would be acquiring in the contracting/licensing AMD GPU IP?

You be surprise how often that can happened, Time Warner acquiring AOL, Google acquiring Motorola, Microsoft acquiring Nokia, you get my gist.

I don't believe this for a second. I feel this entire article is based off personal hurt emotions. Emotions can be HUGE to some folks.........

Says the man who then proceeds to spew stuff out of pure emotion. :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Would not be surprised if AMD/ATi ceased to exist or got bought up by another company, been expecting it for years now.

Pity, competition is a great thing as many here have noted. The sad reality of this high tech world is less not more competition as the price of entry is just to high for most.

Here what I got to say anout all of this
.. .----. -- / .-.. --- --- -.- .. -. --. / ..-. --- .-. .-- .- .-. -.. / - --- / -. . -..- - / -.-- . .- .-. / .-- .. -. -. .. -. --. / .-. . ... ..- .-.. - ... / .- -. -.. / -.. --- ... . -. .----. - / -- .- - - . .-. / .. ..-. / .. - / --. --- --- -.. / --- .-. / -... .- -.. / --. .-. . -. -. / --- . / .-. . -.. / .. - / .--- ..- ... - / .... .- ... / - --- / ..-. .. - / -- -.-- / -... ..- -.. --. . - / ..-. --- .-. / -... . ... - / -... .- -. --. / ..-. --- .-. / -... ..- -.-. -.- / .-- .. - .... / -... . .. -. --. / .- / ... .--. .- -.-. . / .... . .- - . .-. / .-.. --- .-.. .-.-.-

.. .----. -- / .-.. --- --- -.- .. -. --. / ..-. --- .-. .-- .- .-. -.. / - --- / -. . -..- - / -.-- . .- .-. / .-- .. -. -. .. -. --. / .-. . ... ..- .-.. - ... / .- -. -.. / -.. --- ... . -. .----. - / -- .- - - . .-. / .. ..-. / .. - / --. --- --- -.. / --- .-. / -... .- -.. / --. .-. . -. -. / --- . / .-. . -.. / .. - / .--- ..- ... - / .... .- ... / - --- / ..-. .. - / -- -.-- / -... ..- -.. --. . - / ..-. --- .-. / -... . ... - / -... .- -. --. / ..-. --- .-. / -... ..- -.-. -.- / .-- .. - .... / -... . .. -. --. / .- / ... .--. .- -.-. . / .... . .- - . .-. / .-.. --- .-.. .-.-.-
Why it gotta be like this ?

You be surprise how often that can happened, Time Warner acquiring AOL, Google acquiring Motorola, Microsoft acquiring Nokia, you get my gist.

But here's the thing: AMD GPU performance compared to Intel GPU performance is KNOWN, NOW. Hundreds of tech sites/outlets/etc have tested, and measured AMD GPU tech, and outside of Iris Pro, ALL AGREE WITH DATA to corroborate that, that AMD's GPU performance is superior, again outside of Iris Pro offerings. So, we in the tech world already know that it would serve Intel in the product lines/CPUs below the Iris Pro offerings (possibly those, who knows what the licensing will include) to put AMD GPUs in them.

THAT'S why Kyle's assertion that this is a bad move for Intel is laughable jibberish that doesn't even pass the smell test, like the rest of this "article," IMO.

I don't believe this for a second. I feel this entire article is based off personal hurt emotions. Emotions can be HUGE to some folks. Personally, I feel AMD has great plan in place and that lots of people will be "stunned" with their price per performance cards coming up which will soon negate these allegations, Mark it down..

Honestly...this is a very hasty article and very very unbalanced to the point it is unprofessional to be frank. No one should be using their emotions in a professional environment. If this was just a "post" in a forum..sure but to be on the front page of a well known website is really cheap and unprofessional. I say this with a unbiased attitude towards the Editor Kyle...I feel a LOT of people "siding" with Kyle are simply because they have "personal" feelings towards him and are not being completely fair and honest with their replies.

The truth will come, yes indeed and two things will happen. 1. AMD will have nothing and Kyle is right .....or.......2. AMD releases some great cards and Kyle loses a HUGE amount of credibility.

Do professionals put their ass out on the line like this>? Hell no!! So this PROVES that Kyle's emotions are written all over this article to the point it almost looks like a cheap shot by Kyle because he wasn't invited to some AMD gig. Who knows but my gut feeling tells me AMD is A-OK and will have something stellar for the consumers. IF things were so bad...none of these consoles would be sticking their neck on the line, neither would Apple, neither would laptop manufactures,etc,etc...Too many things point to this entire article being a simple personal agenda with butt hurt written all over it. Sorry if this offends people but what i said is far more reasonable than what the Editor has said here in the article.

What goes around, comes around, Mark it down. AMD will have some stellar cards, calling it now, not because of being some kind of immature fanboy but because i also have insider information. My brother is over there right now. I'll just leave it as that.

I trust Kyle's access to insiders more than my own. It's not like anything he wrote is based on first time speculation but rather a subjective view based on historically how it's been. I think all of us probably hopes that amd turns it around. But amds track record the last half decade hasn't exactly been top tier.

My personal take on it is amd probably is shitting their pants at the 1080 released specs. Just a gut feeling. But that much power at 225 watts. Oh my.

But here's the thing: AMD GPU performance compared to Intel GPU performance is KNOWN, NOW. Hundreds of tech sites/outlets/etc have tested, and measured AMD GPU tech, and outside of Iris Pro, ALL AGREE WITH DATA to corroborate that, that AMD's GPU performance is superior, again outside of Iris Pro offerings. So, we in the tech world already know that it would serve Intel in the product lines/CPUs below the Iris Pro offerings (possibly those, who knows what the licensing will include) to put AMD GPUs in them.

THAT'S why Kyle's assertion that this is a bad move for Intel is laughable jibberish.

I think it's a bad move because of what you already mention. Intel already has a working product that is comparable. Not like they have nothing and need something. Iris pro is pretty not that bad and it's there. If it wasnt it would be another story.

The "good old days" were expensive too. Sure, we didn't pay a grand each for a top end CPU and video card, but CD-RW drives, hard drives, RAM, sound, NIC, etc. all ran hundreds of dollars per component. My 286-25Mhz AMD system was $3000 and 386s were already out. My first 10baseT NIC was $350. This hobby has always been expensive.
Amen to that. And like a fucking idiot I choose computers and Photography. No wonder I don't drink or do drugs. Can't do shit without money.

Why it gotta be like this ?

Just pop it into a translator, it wasn't worth the effort. Here ya go, misspellings and all.

"I'M LOOKING FORWARD TO NEXT YEAR WINNING RESULTS AND DOSEN'T MATTER IF IT GOOD OR BAD GRENN OE RED IT JUST HAS TO FIT MY BUDGET FOR BEST BANG FOR BUCK WITH BEING A SPACE HEATER LOL."

Do you realize how ridiculous that sounds?

I certainly dont think it sounds ridiculous, go look at AMD balance sheet and income statement and tell me how it looks to you. The reason AMD stock price is at where it is right now is because they beat street estimate and painting a rosy picture for 2nd half of 2016, whether it will pan out remains to be seen.

I think it's a bad move because of what you already mention. Intel already has a working product that is comparable. Not like they have nothing and need something. Iris pro is pretty not that bad and it's there. .

Iris Pro is TOO EXPENSIVE to put into tablets, phones, midrange offerings, etc. And since those product segments are where the bulk of the profits are, THAT is where it would benefit Intel to include AMD GPU IP.

THAT'S why Kyle's assertion that this is a bad move for Intel is laughable jibberish that doesn't even pass the smell test, like the rest of this "article," IMO.

So what if AMD has the best iGPU compare to Intel iGPU, how has that exactly work out for AMD in the mobile arena? People can keep touting AMD has better iGPU, but at the end of the day, Intel still outsells AMD by a very large margin.

Nodes doesn't compare between different foundries, 16FF at TSMC are about equal to 14FF at Global Foundries. The only valid comparison is between nodes at the same Foundry.
You are correct, just applying a formula that had been presented to me. Just a rule of thumb, no science there at all.

Like Ivybridge, FinFET 3D transistors run at a low voltage. But as soon as you try ramping them, they get hot quickly and in a negative way.

The demo was showing the equivalent of a GTX 950, right?

Ah, I see. Trying to skim through this huge thread, it reminds me of the intense debates car guys have over super cars when 99.9% of the ones discussing it will never own one. In the grand scheme of things the 1070 and 1080 starter prices are more manageable for more people than that of course, but how many people are actually dropping that much cash?

I'm sitting on an ancient 9600GT (a fan-less variant with a big heatsink), but want to get something faster and more efficient. I think I have only one game in my Steam library that I picked up in a bundle that I can't play due to it requiring a Direct X version newer than what my card supports. Other than that the 9600 still runs what I have somewhat decently. The process shrink is why I'm holding off on picking up an upgrade. I like my computer to be as quite and efficient as possible.

I'd rather have an Nvidia card because I've always had better luck overall with them, but if AMD does get something GTX 950 or faster and in line with claimed efficiency for a nice price out first, I'll go with them. Looking at high-end cards with the 300watts+ consumption on load is kind of comical to me. I don't need to be consuming 5+ incandescent lightbulbs worth of power to play a video game.

I get the whole idea that AMD likely dropped the ball on ultra-highend cards. If they get the mid-range efficient stuff out quicker than Nvidia, that's what I'm going for. I'd assume a lot of people in my situation will do the same.

AMD have reportedly secured Polaris contracts with Apple:

Apple to adopt AMD's new Polaris graphics chips in upcoming Macs - report

And there have been whispers that Intel is in negotiations to license AMD GPU IP:

Bloomberg: Intel in talks with AMD to license GPU patents

SO let's recap. Many in the tech world including [H] have trumpeted AMD's imminent collapse or bad financial situation in the last several years.

AMD has recently contracted with Apple for Polaris chips and is reportedly in talks with Intel for some of their GPU IP (possibly to be included in Intel chips rather than Intel's own GPU tech) which would provide significant income stream from two of the tech behemoths in the world.

Yet, somehow, [H] paints the potential Intel deal (and its income) as a BAD THING?

None of these "deals" are lucrative enough to make AMD profitable, never mind to allow AMD to spend considerable amounts of money on R&D. On the other hand NVIDIA has excellent software engineers, as well as hardware engineers. And good software engineers are needed for more than just drivers. AMD has neither at this point. So yes, AMD is not out of the woods just because they sell dirt cheap GPUs to Apple and licenses their GPU IP to Intel. Apple has shown that they don't really give a shit about the professional market, they just want the cheapest GPU solution.

Check this out if you want to see how terrible AMD GPUs are inside the cylinder Mac Pro 6,1 (they burned out about ten Mac Pros during video editing because their quality AMD GPUs kept dying on them):

“Deadpool” Edited with Adobe Premiere [u] | Larry Jordan

Iris pro doesn't use nV tech for its GPU cores why do you think Intel has nV IP licenses.... Its not for the main components of the GPU, they are using it for something else. Why would you think they would need AMD's IP in their GPU's, you think once they got the nV Ip they would have used nV's right yet they didn't.....

So what if AMD has the best iGPU compare to Intel iGPU, how has that exactly work out for AMD in the mobile arena? People can keep touting AMD has better iGPU, but at the end of the day, Intel still outsells AMD by a very large margin.

Right, but one advantage I could see is if AMD has a distinctive advantage over Intel in GPU is performance/watt. If that's the case, they may readily accept AMD to the fold??

After all, AMD Carrizo has managed to perform competently against 15w Core i3s, despite being saddled with the world's worst CPU design ever. And that did that on ancient 28nm, so that points to a significantly more efficient GPU architecture. Intel has also showed more direct signs of weakness, never able to ship HD Graphics in a phone chip.

Ture but it depeand on how you look at it as mobile laptops arena are usely NoN gamers so they will op for Intel better performance in everyday apps that one area that AMD need to address
Far I know of AMD tablet chip development has stalls but there always hope
I don't think we ever see AMD/ATI GPU inbeded a Intel CPU but one could never know what the future my hold I guest we have sit back and wait and see what outcome with be.

its not about profitability I think. its about the quality of the GPU. if those companies are willing to use these GPUs, the claims would likely be wrong. You are trying to claim AMD does not have quality staff but what is this based on? Clearly they have good engineers since their GPUs are better than nvidias. Clearly they have good software engineers because their drivers dont make people afraid to upgrade like nvidia's currently does. So whats your reason? AMD spends a ton on research. small profits or small losses doesn't mean their over 1 billion R&D disappears. That's what they spend, whether you want to believe it or not.

can you quote the part of that link that talks about the AMD gpus?

And why do you think nV is the only one that has poor quality, you do realize the failure rates of AMD GPU's are higher at least in the past 2 or 3 years right?

Drivers, both IHV's have issues its not limited to just nV.

Apple takes what ever is cheaper for them, apple users most of them dont' even know what the f is in their computer let alone be a power user......

Dude I don't know about you, but I have seen so many apple users who don't understand what a command line operation is.....

Personally Im not convinced RTG being bought out by Intel is a horrible thing....It could end up being a good thing rather than seeing them go under

None of these "deals" are lucrative enough to make AMD profitable, never mind to allow AMD to spend considerable amounts of money on R&D. On the other hand NVIDIA has excellent software engineers, as well as hardware engineers. And good software engineers are needed for more than just drivers. AMD has neither at this point. So yes, AMD is not out of the woods just because they sell dirt cheap GPUs to Apple and licenses their GPU IP to Intel. Apple has shown that they don't really give a shit about the professional market, they just want the cheapest GPU solution.

Check this out if you want to see how terrible AMD GPUs are inside the cylinder Mac Pro 6,1 (they burned out about ten Mac Pros during video editing because their quality AMD GPUs kept dying on them):

Sorry but this is pure conjecture. That AMD has excellent software engineers is evidenced in Mantle inspiring a whole generation of graphic API's like DX12, Vulkan and Metal. One could argue the impact of Mantle is bigger than anything Nvidia has ever done in terms of graphics software.

Similar can be said for their hardware engineers. But you don't have to take my word for it. An Intel architect did a Reddit AMA while back and this is what he had to say about AMD's hw engineers:
They have fantastic people. I cannot underscore this enough, with the resources they have the fact that they're able to compete in the same ballpark we do shows their quality. Sadly for all of us, execution is key. We want to see an exciting marketplace as much as you do.

HBM is an example of a cutting edge technology AMD has been able to contribute to the industry on a shoestring budget. As far as AMD's quality in Mac Pros, I don't know how much of that is Mac Pro's poor airflow and how much of that is bad GPU QC, but one thing is for certain, AMD's GPUs would not be the prefered Ethereum miners if they had poor quality. Those Ethereum mining rigs are stressed 24/7 and they handle the stress just fine. If anything it's Nvidia that has a shady history of hardware quality with the bumpgate.

Sorry, I've been lurking on here for awhile but your post begged a response.

I think that's more the fault of Apple stuffing 2 GPUs and a Xeon inside of a bathroom trash can.

GPUs would burn up no matter what was in there :D

I haven't bought an AMD GPU is about 10 years. The last one I had (forgot the model!) began overheating and flaked out. I got about 5 years out of it, so not really griping. Next card was Nvidia - ran cooler. Bought a 970 recently. Love it.
Last years launch of the AMD gpus was a total let down. I was receptive to them based on the marketing speil. After seeing the numbers come in, what a joke. It was a total no brainer for me to choose Nvidia. (To be fair, they do have a couple of GPUs that are decent and benchmark well enough. They just run hotter and I've read their drivers are not as good as Nvidia).
Remember the days of the ATI All-In-Wonder (might have been around 2004)? That was a nice card. Sigh. Hoping AMD's video unit stays in the picture - competition is good.

... Personally, I feel AMD has great plan in place and that lots of people will be "stunned" with their price per performance cards coming up which will soon negate these allegations, Mark it down.. ...
And you will keep saying the same thing until you're right, yes? If not 10, then 11, then 12, then 13, etc., etc.

I have said it in my previous post and your post once again remind of the NBA's Philadelphia Sixers. They have been tanking to get the #1 pick for years and been very successful at it. Their plan is eventually they will field a championship caliber team and become a dynasty. They are not even close despite their 5 year plan*. However, each new year they are filled with unbridled optimism while everyone else including the players know they will at most win a few games.

*This is their 5th year of their tanking plan. They are now considering trading last year's #3 pick. The previous year, they traded their #1 pick. I could list more but there is no point.

Right, but one advantage I could see is if AMD has a distinctive advantage over Intel in GPU is performance/watt. If that's the case, they may readily accept AMD to the fold??

After all, AMD Carrizo has managed to perform competently against 15w Core i3s, despite being saddled with the world's worst CPU design ever. And that did that on ancient 28nm, so that points to a significantly more efficient GPU architecture. Intel has also showed more direct signs of weakness, never able to ship HD Graphics in a phone chip.

Agreed, Intel can benefit having RTG IP's and engineering talents, but at the same time does Intel really need RTG? Well only people from Intel can tell us that.

Part of me wish Intel didn't sale XScale, they may have a very competitive ARM processor in the mobile phone arena rather than trying to use Atom processor. :/

Last edited:
Ture but it depeand on how you look at it as mobile laptops arena are usely NoN gamers so they will op for Intel better performance in everyday apps that one area that AMD need to address
Far I know of AMD tablet chip development has stalls but there always hope
I don't think we ever see AMD/ATI GPU inbeded a Intel CPU but one could never know what the future my hold I guest we have sit back and wait and see what outcome with be.

I do think AMD will probably address that with Zen processor though my concern is will they sale enough to make a profit, but that is for another thread.

Back