From ATI to AMD back to ATI? A Journey in Futility @ [H]

Discussion in 'AMD Flavor' started by Kyle_Bennett, May 27, 2016.

1. Shintai

Shintai [H]ardness Supreme

DooKey and whateverer like this.
  2. whateverer

whateverer AMD Owns Techreport

Yeah, it's been half a year since this "sure thing" fresh shit was first aired, and I still see nothing but dried-up shit.

The only reason Intel licensed Nvidia's patents was part of case settlement payout, and I'm sure that settlement included no more suits from Nvidia (or they would have continued the license deal).

If Intel doesn't fear other GPU vendor's patent portfolios, then I don't see them wasting the money. Everyone assumes they're in for a "world of hurt," but how many GPU companies aside from Nvidia went on the patent warpath recently?

And feeding something significantly more powerful than Intel's IGP would raise the costs.

The entire purpose of keeping integrated graphics low-cost is reusing the memory bandwidth they already provide for the CPU. You don't save any die space by integrating the CPU and GPU onto the same die, and if you need the extra bandwidth of dedicated vram, you might as well just make it an external GPU.

Last edited: May 15, 2017
    Shintai likes this.
  3. Shintai

Apple is also developing its own GPU, yet no patent licensing.

4. SighTurtle

SighTurtle Gawd

Yeah until Intel or AMD say something, it can't be confirmed.

Shintai and razor1 like this.
  5. razor1

razor1 [H]ardForum Junkie

yeah for the most part that article reads as if they are using AMD's patents instead of nV's and that does nothing for Intel lol. Intel never needed nV's patent to begin with, they were forced to pay nV.

Armenius likes this.
  6. CSI_PC

CSI_PC 2[H]4U

AMD did actually in February-March :)
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/11101/amd-files-patent-complaint-against-mediatek-lg-vizio
    http://www.itcblog.com/images/amdcomplaint.pdf
    ITC is investigating.
    Cheers

7. jologskyblues

jologskyblues n00bie

So is this is just a licensing agreement to avoid patent lawsuits or is Intel going to actually use AMD Radeon Graphics for their CPU integrated processor graphics?

8. Gideon

Gideon Gawd

No one knows for sure until one of the companies comments on it. Possible it's both. But Intel has no choice unless they want to build a GPU from scratch that infringes on no patents from any GPU company. Patents last a very long time and both Nvidia and AMD have proved they will go after people if they infringe. My guess is Intel will use AMD made GPU's as that allows Intel to just cut that whole division and save cash, would be a smart move and play with AMD's want to control more of the market share. Speculation is fun tho.

9. Shintai

Who is Apple getting patents from with their own custom GPU?

10. Gideon

Gideon Gawd

According to Fudzilla Imagination Technologies.

11. Algrim

Algrim Gawd

Apple broke a deal with Imagination Technologies and is trying to develop a GPU without Imagination Technologies technology. IT is planning on suing Apple because Apple is trying to make a GPU without IT's tech...

Fudzilla couldn't have gotten the story more wrong.

12. Gideon

Gideon Gawd

Actually Apple still has a agreement for 2 years and then they drop them. Imagination Tech is suing them over it tho, saying they still need the patents.

13. whateverer

whateverer AMD Owns Techreport

Right, WHETHER they actually need the patents is still up-in-the-air. As is the case with AMD's suits.

Still not seeing undying proof that building your own GPU is a legal minefield. The last successful case I can remember was Intel v Nvidia.

14. liveload

liveload Limp Gawd

This is awesome news. I always thought that Intel and AMD should bury the hatchet and collaborate more. This is a very positive step in that direction. I always wondered what a handpicked team of Intel and AMD's best and brightest could design.

15. Gideon

Gideon Gawd

Build a GPU and sell it to the public and see how many lawyers come for you. Intel would be the closest you have to undying proof since they lost their case to Nvidia and went to a licensing agreement.

16. EODetroit

EODetroit Gawd

Haha, win: https://hardforum.com/threads/amd-q...epared-remarks.1931206/page-2#post-1042977852

A work friend says I should wait for a Vega hype bounce, then sell before the performance numbers are known. I think I'll hold until AMD can show some Ryzen profits though... I don't think Vega will be nearly as much of an impact maker on the stock. Anyways, thanks to the long squeeze a couple weeks ago, I got some cheap stock that's appreciated nearly 30% in two weeks. :) Entirely predictable in magnitude but not expecting it this quickly.

17. Pieter3dnow

Pieter3dnow [H]ardness Supreme

It is more or less which red head stepchild Intel picks rather then some form of affection for AMD. This time AMD got picked but there is no reason to see this in any other way as the Nvidia deal Intel had before.

18. Chaos Machine

Chaos Machine Limp Gawd

More importantly, it's a much needed infusion of cash for AMD, they are still burning through it at a fast clip till Ryzen and Vega show some results

Pieter3dnow likes this.
  19. Pieter3dnow

Pieter3dnow [H]ardness Supreme

At fudzilla one day? maybe in an alternate universe ...

20. thekipper

thekipper Limp Gawd

It's down 8% right now and trading below 12 again. Not sure how much bounce is left. Russia stuff is weighing on the market right now.

21. Chimpee

Chimpee Gawd

The longer this Russian thing goes, the more volatility we should expect in the stock market is how I see it.

22. N4CR

N4CR [H]ard|Gawd

The same old tired, worn out muh russia bullshit is just to cover up the Seth Rich - Wikileaks Clinton hit + subsequent investigations that will continue to find information, encompassing all parts of the political sphere across 'party lines', exposing the criminal and disgusting acts and treason committed by many, including corruption and manipulation by a certain country or two, in order to parasitise USA. That will shake up the markets indeed.

Zion Halcyon, AlphaQup and testicle like this.
  23. digitalmango

digitalmango n00bie

Intel released a statement refuting rumors about the deal. So what the heck is going on here

24. razor1

Did then don't remember can you link? Thx in advance

25. SighTurtle

SighTurtle Gawd

If this was intended for a customer (and not Intel suddenly selling it as a Intel part), would it be fair to suggest that neither Intel nor AMD would be allowed to comment on such a matter before the customer wanted to?

26. Kyle_Bennett

Kyle_Bennett El Chingón Staff Member

27. Kerplunk

Kerplunk n00bie

Snowdog likes this.
  28. Gideon

Gideon Gawd

It is, they didn't say it was dead, just standard denial until they are ready to say otherwise. Otherwise they would have said there will be no deal with AMD when they were asked. When you get a no comment for further details there is something there, just not ready to say what.

Maddness likes this.
  29. SighTurtle

SighTurtle Gawd

This is the quote, "The recent rumors that Intel has licensed AMD's graphics technology are untrue." That sounds pretty dead to me. I don't get why you think Intel declining to say more would signal ambiguity. Regardless, I'm gonna stick with the notion Intel and AMD are sworn to silence by the party buying this.

30. Gideon

Gideon Gawd

This quote from the little article is why "I asked Intel if the company has any further detail on whether it has definitely decided not to license technology from AMD. The company said no further detail would be provided."

31. SighTurtle

SighTurtle Gawd

What kinda further detail could Intel provide? A laundry list of pretty simple "AMD is our competitor" x10, we don't need it, etc, etc. And that laundry list would only bring more questions. Simply saying, No this isn't true, is enough. Tell me, what would Intel say that would represent a clear denial? Not withstanding any "forever" statements.

32. Gideon

Gideon Gawd

We are not looking to license any GPU technology nor are we in any talks at this time or in the near future.

Just a straight we have no deal at this time is a pretty standard denial when talks are in progress or a deal is made but not ready to be official. For instance at Chrysler I would have told you something similar when Daimler was looking to sell us to someone. Even tho it's obvious that something is going on. Corporate world is quite different and large companies dont always react the way you expect. I am not saying for sure I am right but I have some faith in Kyle as well.

33. __hollywood|meow

__hollywood|meow [H]ard|Gawd

the fact that anyone trusts corporate PR statements & wont read into them at all never ceases to astound me

34. SighTurtle

SighTurtle Gawd

Don't forget the ending of the Intel-Nvidia patent agreement. If they are trying to remain vague, the wording of denial will conflict with future Intel-AMD patent agreements, something much more likely to occur. So this one sentence answer could be all they can say before that patent agreement goes through.

spine likes this.
  35. razor1

I heard the same thing they were working on a deal with AMD a while back too, but it could be something that is very specific and nothing to do with Intel's consumer CPU's.

not only that there was a shake up in workers in Intel's GPU (IGP) division so just more pull towards to what you stated with this deal.

36. ecmaster76

ecmaster76 Gawd

I think the way a lot of this reporting has to work is that there is 100% no deal until the deal is concluded and filed (even if they have been discussing it for months and are in agreement). Once that is done both companies will probably announce it simultaneously.

37. Snowdog

Snowdog Pasty Nerd with Poor Cardio

The fact that people keep believing rumors when they are flat out denied, astounds me.

The rumor was this was a signed, done deal, something like a year ago.

If that were true, Intel could not say there is no such deal, without risk of lawsuit.

At best Intel might have had talks with AMD, but clearly no deal was signed.

That rumor was false.

38. Stoly

Stoly [H]ardness Supreme

Could Kyle be accountable for releasing unsubstained rumors which made AMD stock price skyrocket and then bounce back?

39. razor1

nope he has nothing to do with AMD, he doesn't have any direct influence over stock prices.