from 40-50 to 120 in ping

demondrops

Limp Gawd
This is so weird, i have had a consistent ping around 40 for over a year now and from yesterday and today its stable around 120 ms. I tested 2 different games now same deal, tried reset my moden, and restarting it by cutting of power. It seems the problem persists. Tried turning of other deviced connected and all background apps, checked outgoing and incoming but nothing to suggest why this happens. The bandwidth seems to be just as it should be. It could be my ISP that have fucked up something but i cant really do much in terms of that until monday. Any ideas?

Go-play-outside1.jpg

eheh. ok one weird thing is, i connected with my vpn to a server here in norway it actually reduced my ping from 120 to around 80 +- idk what that means but that is strange i guess.

Your ISP or somewhere between their endpoint and what you are trying to do has it's routing screwed up.

Yup a inefficient route or peering issue. The VPN probably changes your route thus different latency. You can do a trace route to get an idea where the problem spot is.

Reactions: Mega6
like this
i did tracert, but these ip's dont make sense to me. i can only see that at some point it jumps straight from 16 ms to 110 ms smth. but worst is this is internet, that is included in rent, and i have no idea what ISP they use. so i have to ask around here to find out or get them to call them or whatever, i tried asking previously but they didnt seem to have a clue at all.

Last edited:
ips dont make sense to you? you should probably just post the results of the tracert then showing the issue then. we need to find out where the latency is, start with:

> tracert www.google.com

you may have to run several until u find one that shows the issue.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>tracert /?

Usage: tracert [-d] [-h maximum_hops] [-j host-list] [-w timeout]
[-R] [-S srcaddr] [-4] [-6] target_name

Options:
-d Do not resolve addresses to hostnames.
-h maximum_hops Maximum number of hops to search for target.
-j host-list Loose source route along host-list (IPv4-only).
-w timeout Wait timeout milliseconds for each reply.
-R Trace round-trip path (IPv6-only).
-S srcaddr Source address to use (IPv6-only).
-4 Force using IPv4.
-6 Force using IPv6.

Back