From 37" Westy to 30" 2560x1600, DONT HESITATE!

This post isn't about a specific 30" (although I do love my new w3000h, SC2 is killer on it) but moreso about the transition from 37" 1080p to 30"

Just wanted to throw this out there since this decision was tough for me, I thought others may have the same trouble.

All I can say is, do not underestimate the awesomeness of 2560x1600.

I have poor eyes (20/30 and 20/70) so I thought I wouldn't be interested in a resolution that high and that text would be too small for me to read. 30" is huge, even going down from the 37" westy. With 30", everything is still very large even at such a high resolution and I'm sitting a good 2.5 or so feet away.

Don't hesitate guys. The increase in picture quality and resolution is totally worthwhile, and 30" is still very, very large.

Good luck!

Funny thing is I bought my 37" W over four years ago, demoted it for a 30" just over two years ago...

And I'm ready to demote my 30" and promote my 37" W back...

YMMV, but if you're gaming (as I am), while you do get more pixels on the 30"... It's really only noticeable on a still pic framegrab of a game...

I don't regret either purchase though... But the 37" is bigger...

I did the same thing (going back to 37) a while back but only because I was experiencing some awful mouse lag in games while gaming on my particular 30" monitor. For everything else though, I felt the 30" was superior. When I needed a larger text, it was easy to ctrl-wheel to get good looking text, icons, pictures and such. I seem to recall video was just "okay".

I seem to recall video was just "okay".

Another good point: 1080p blu-ray video has to up-convert to the 30" native res when you're watching it.

For desktop, 30" is ineed superior.

For gaming, after a couple years of it, I'm ready to go back to my 37".

But video? Native 1080p wins. I forgot about that point.

Sometimes I find watching blu-ray in a 1920x1080 window on my desktop looks better than the up-convert to 2560x1440. So, not only is the video being shown on a 30" display, but it's now also in a window that fits only 75% across my screen!

I love my 30", I have tried to game on my 46" tv but I don't like it, I can see the pixels, I guess that isn't bothersome for some.

I love my 30", I have tried to game on my 46" tv but I don't like it, I can see the pixels, I guess that isn't bothersome for some.

I still don't understand that comment.

If you couldn't see the pixels on your 30", you couldn't read text on it.

And to think before glQuake and Voodoo came along, most people were playing Quake @ 320x240/200. (not that things weren't pixelated @ 640x480, mind you...)

I still don't understand that comment.

If you couldn't see the pixels on your 30", you couldn't read text on it.

And to think before glQuake and Voodoo came along, most people were playing Quake @ 320x240/200. (not that things weren't pixelated @ 640x480, mind you...)

You can up size text to make it perfectly readable, and keep the pixels just as small. Maybe some blockiness, but its just text. We are talking gaming here!

Before Voodoo there was Atari 2600 and before that, playing cards.

I had many monitors including the Westy 37 and the Dell 3007 was / is much better to me.

I had a 42" tv,was fine for some years then got a deal on a 30" , got it right away and damn, I really prefer that monitor over all. I even watch movie/anime on it. Major point was for desktop space and resolution for when I paint on photoshop and such and while I'm a big gamer, it's perfect. I have a 32" tv right next to it to, for when I watch tv and such.

Over all, once I get a blu ray, it might be different but until then, 30" all the way for everything ahha.

For movies, a 1080p native screen is better... for everything else though the 30" is way better.

That's why I have a 42" 1080p plasma on the wall for movies/TV/console games... 30" for PC games, programming, etc.

For movies, a 1080p native screen is better... for everything else though the 30" is way better.

That's why I have a 42" 1080p plasma on the wall for movies/TV/console games... 30" for PC games, programming, etc.

Agreed. BB just delivered my 65 inch plasma this morning. Watched LOR extended version minutes after. Amazing image.

Not too sure about the movies yet, but I do a lot of photoshop work along with CAD. It's really far superior on the 30" than the 37" I'm finding.

Don't hesitate guys. The increase in picture quality and resolution is totally worthwhile, and 30" is still very, very large.

Heck yeah. When I moved from a 37" Westy to a 30" Dell, I'll admit it took me a few days to adjust to the lack of sheer size (this ended up being a plus) and the smaller text. Gaming at 2560x1600 on newer games with full detail does take a good deal of graphics muscle, but the 3008WFP scales down gracefully when needed and the extra resolution on the desktop is more than welcome. I don't miss the extra scrolling on forums at all, and it's so nice to be able to fit more on the screen.

Like some others here, I have a 1080p HDTV to the left of my PC setup for those duties and everything's working out just peachy.

Back