Frisco, Texas Gets Ugliest Self-driving Vehicles in Nation

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
A company called drive.ai has launched a self-driving vehicles program in Frisco, Texas. These vans will operate on a very limited amount of public roadway in Frisco, but these are the real deal when it comes to self-driving vehicles. You will use an app on your phone to summon orange and blue van. When it comes to how self-driving cars were supposed to look in our imaginations, I am not sure this was all what we saw in our minds' eyes.

This pilot program is a milestone for the state of Texas, marking the first time members of the public will have access to an on-demand self-driving car service on public roads. Drive.ai’s self-driving on-demand service will be operated in conjunction with Frisco TMA, a public-private partnership dedicated to bringing innovative last-mile transportation solutions to the growing population of Frisco, Texas.

Saw one of those things in Santa Clara CA yesterday. Uglier than shit orange box with orange warts. Super Fugly.

It looked lost at the time, stuttering while making a right turn. Texas plates, maybe it is a runaway?

The signs seem like a good idea until the car starts saying 'hey **hole I've been waiting for you to cross for 5 minutes, stop looking at your ***damn phone'
Better will be when someone hacks the signs to start flirting/sexually harassing (is there a difference anymore?) any cute women that walk by.

That's what like +30% aero drag? Better hope these are not racking up highway miles where its going to kill the mileage.

Cue Deadpool and Weasel describing the van......

Better will be when someone hacks the signs to start flirting/sexually harassing (is there a difference anymore?) any cute women that walk by.

"Waiting for grand mom to cross the street, might have to run over the flesh bad"

I think those signs are a nice addition.
I mean, sure, they look like a complete hack job and are fugly as hell, but I'm sure they'll come up with something better in the next iteration.

"Grandma got runover by an ugly ass self-driving van, walking home from a Latte house Christmas Eve.

You may say there's no such thing as ugly ass self driving vans, but as for me and others, we believe."

Vehicle is hideous but it does stand out in traffic. Maybe that's a good thing.

keep-calm-and-get-back-on-topic.png

I live in Frisco... looking forward to spotting one of these things. Or do they just circle around downtown?

I live in Frisco as well. Wondering how many deaths before the things get pulled?

A.I. Heavy on the A, light on the I.

You live in DFW, don't you? The roads up that way are just a hot mess not because of traffic, but the entitled drivers. I'd be willing to go so far as to say these few self driving cars will be the only ones following the rules and that's gonna make things super interesting just like the guy going 60 on the freeway when everyone else is going 85 in the morning rush hour.

it will be a mess. But in all fairness, compared to other places (like Silicon Valley and New York/New Jersey areas)... our roads are great!

its ugly, but not THAT ugly. i mean, look at the 2019 Corolla Hatchback. Now that is hideous.

Uglier than the taxi from Total Recall...

It's just a pimped out Nissan NV200. Like they drive in NY city.

2014-nissan-nv200-taxi-photo-450704-s-1280x782.jpg

From Nissan's Advanced Toon Car styling lab. Still not as fugly as the Nissan Joke..er.. Juke. Still...the orange doesn't help. Not sure the yellow cab gambit is a great idea either.

You live in DFW, don't you? The roads up that way are just a hot mess not because of traffic, but the entitled drivers. I'd be willing to go so far as to say these few self driving cars will be the only ones following the rules and that's gonna make things super interesting just like the guy going 60 on the freeway when everyone else is going 85 in the morning rush hour.

Stop driving 60 in the left lane and we wouldn't have to do 80+ by ya. It's a state law, left lane for passing only. No Semi's either. Thank God for the tolls, while everyone's doing 35 at 3-6pm I can do 70+ for $3-4.

Back