Friend's P2P activity is making me miffed....

Mr_Evil

2[H]4U
My friend brings his Laptop over to my house almost all the time. And all the time he's got his Laptop on my wireless and all the time he's either uploading or download and the SOB doesn't cap his upload therefore lagging everything I want to do with MY 'net connection plum to Hell. Frankly, I'm getting tired of asking him to put a cap on his upload. And bandwidth hogging is a really stupid reason to blow up at your friend for.

What I need is which ports I need to block on my Linksys router so he can no longer use bit-torrent here at my house. Since obviously the motherfucker doesn't even have the goddamn decency to check his upload. (Yeah, I'm pretty mad at him right now). Any help you chaps could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Mr_Evil said:
My friend brings his Laptop over to my house almost all the time. And all the time he's got his Laptop on my wireless and all the time he's either uploading or download and the SOB doesn't cap his upload therefore lagging everything I want to do with MY 'net connection plum to Hell. Frankly, I'm getting tired of asking him to put a cap on his upload. And bandwidth hogging is a really stupid reason to blow up at your friend for.

What I need is which ports I need to block on my Linksys router so he can no longer use bit-torrent here at my house. Since obviously the motherfucker doesn't even have the goddamn decency to check his upload. (Yeah, I'm pretty mad at him right now). Any help you chaps could offer would be greatly appreciated.
If its a wireless network block his access :). End of story.

For the ports its dependent on what BT program hes using. If you wanna be a real smart ass hack your linksys where you can control how much bandwith a "certain" ip can use. Then cap his ass at 5kbs (dial up :D)

Well, like I said, I don't want to cut-off his net access completly. If it had come to that I woulda done it already. I need to know how to cut off Bit-torrent specifically. Or better yet, could you elaborate on this Linksys h4x0ring?

Thanks, but I was looking for something more in the realm of cheap as free.

This reminds me of a recent post. If he really is your friend, smack him on the back of the head and tell him to Bittorrent at home on his own time. Otherwise he probably isn't a friend.

If it pisses you off and you're tired of it, then you have full right to get mad.

Mr_Evil said:
Thanks, but I was looking for something more in the realm of cheap as free.

You must not really be pissed-off then. If you're really pissed then $20 to fix the problem is a no-brainer.

rcolbert said:
You must not really be pissed-off then. If you're really pissed then $20 to fix the problem is a no-brainer.

if he was pissed off he would have cut him off completely.

i might be saying the obvious but...hide the ssid and encrypt it?

I thought that sveasoft stuff was GPL which should be free. I think the older versions were free, but maybe the newest beta version isn't free or something like that.

Well thank you MavAlpha for the port info. I have now added a forwarding entry into my router that'll hopefully keep other comps on my network from using bit-torrent. My desktop has a static IP on it so I shouldn't even have to mess with the port forwarding entry.

Locking those ports might not work - different BT clients use different ports.

You can probably deny him access to whichever tracker he uses in your router firewall though - I've never used that linksys but in my netgear it's under 'parental controls.' Add the website and he can't connect to the tracker and won't be uploading squat. You might have to dig in your router logs to see which trackers he's using.

You could tell him that you are concerned about RIAA lawsuits and the like. If you want to fudge it, tell him you've been warned about using excessive bandwidth by your ISP or whatever. Just tell him to do his P2P shit at home and not on your connection. My connection, my house, my rules, bud. ;)

doh said:
Is this monkey still selling GPL'd code?

What's wrong with that? RedHat does it every day. They release the source to people that buy the binaries. They comply with the GPL.

NetJunkie said:
What's wrong with that? RedHat does it every day. They release the source to people that buy the binaries. They comply with the GPL.

I thought Sveasoft wasn't releasing it's source code unless you paid... (correct me if I'm wrong)

Stang Man said:
I thought Sveasoft wasn't releasing it's source code unless you paid... (correct me if I'm wrong)

Nothing wrong with that either. You are only required to release source to those that you give binaries. You don't have to give it to anyone that asks.

NetJunkie said:

The author takes offence when people redistribute the firmware and sources and accuses them of theft when the right to redistribute is expressly provided in the GPL.

Back