friend somehow managed to spring a leak and get some water on his 6800GT....RMA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Urraca

Gawd
My friend who water cools, sprang a very minor leak in his setup. By minor I mean maybe a few drops go out when he was cleaning inside of his case. When that happened his monitor completely died. Upon taking out the video card (a PNY 6800 GT) it looks in mint condition. Looks like nothing shorted out etc, and couldn't even see where the water hit. There are no burn marks etc. However, the fan does not spin or power up. We tried putting in another video card, and that works.

Anyway, is it possible to RMA this? (Neither of us have RMAed anything, he has the UPC but no Receipt) The card looks perfect, can we just say it stopped working out of nowhere (because it did). He does not overclock it (wuss), and has not modified it. He has had it for 5 months. Any help would be appreciated.

Oh no, here comes a huge s***storm of RMA ethical flame-bashing. Let me be the first to politely and calmly tell you that what you've done is not covered under your warranty/RMA policy. You had to mod it to add the waterblock to it, so game over there. Also, the damage that was done to it was actually your fault, so in that case you're not covered either. RMA is intended only for people who get cards that act flaky despite the fact that they've done nothing to it, i.e. what's wrong is not their fault. Sorry to have to tell you that, and sorry for the sizeable amount of people who are about to verbally rape you.

try letting it dry, and leaving comp off, get an aftermarket fan that works with a molex connecter since you said it wont work with regular fan, and try that see if it works, and im with the poster above me.......RMA is ment for messed up cards that are within the warantee peramiters.......watercooling not being one of them, nor is replaceing stock fan.....

soulsaver_8229

He fucked it up. It's not the companies responsability. That's why some people have such hard times RMA'ing thier borked stuff. Because asshats try to return stuff they broke. That warranty and RMA policy is there to protect the consumer from slips in quality control.

Here's is the rule on OC'ing/modding. If you can't afford to replace it. You can't afford to OC it.

Even if he never touched the vid card. It was still placed in a system where the likelyhood of it being damaged was high. A few drips of water from the CPU above is just as much his fault as if he dropped the card from arms height. He caused the damage.

swoop56 said:
He fucked it up. It's not the companies responsability. That's why some people have such hard times RMA'ing thier borked stuff. Because asshats try to return stuff they broke. That warranty and RMA policy is there to protect the consumer from slips in quality control.
Nobody even mentioned it (unless there was an edit) and you're already saying it. I think it's a personal decision that should be left up to the end user, which it is.

Just RMA it, Im sure 90% of the people on this forum would at least try it... even the ones that say they wouldnt.

i don't think there was a waterblock on the GPU guys. if it's from dripping then it's probably from the CPU block. anyway, be more detailed and people won't get too confused and can help you more. where exactly did the water hit? or do you know.

Just RMA it, I think that water cooling leaks are still covered by RMA's but then again I'm kinda ignorant on this subject and am overly opinionated at that.

~Adam

mikelz85 said:
Nobody even mentioned it (unless there was an edit) and you're already saying it. I think it's a personal decision that should be left up to the end user, which it is.

It was user error that caused it to die. It's his fault. He shouldn't RMA it. Alternatively if it isn't user error, it is error on hte part of the makers of the watercooling system and he should take it up with them.

The video card manufacturer is blameless and should not have to take the bill.

Thats what happens when you dont test watercooling properly :p un
unless something actually broke there

well you could RMA it but it isnt the `moral` thing to do;)

house insurance?

Tengis said:
Just RMA it, Im sure 90% of the people on this forum would at least try it... even the ones that say they wouldnt.

Well I for one wouldnt do this. All it does in the end is raise the price of cards. Sure hope you dont ever bitch about cards being so high price. If it was me I would own up to my mistake.

Whitewolf said:
Well I for one wouldnt do this. All it does in the end is raise the price of cards. Sure hope you dont ever bitch about cards being so high price. If it was me I would own up to my mistake.

Hrm... ya know, even though my 9800pro died of natural causes, I didnt see any prices go up when I RMAd the bitch back to ATI.

I guarantee you that anyone that cant afford to buy another one without thinking twice would RMA it.

Friend huh? looks like you got a PNY 6800GT too. Just like your "friends" :rolleyes: ? I see alot of threads where "friends" keep borkin' their shit There's a buncha real smart people round' here but alot of them apparently have really stupid...um......"friends" :p

Suck it up and be an adult would ya please.

Do you really believe the RMA for the Video card includes coverage for water damage?

The other guy hit it dead on. If you cant afford to replace it, YOU CANT afford to OC' it

I Wanna Know What exactly your "Friend" was doing Cleaning the system with it powered up. If I clean mine the system is powered off and cleaned with a canned air and a Vacum cleaner (Never actaully touching anything just to pick up the dust).

Personally anyone that Touches a WC system when ithe machines running Is just asking for trouble.

As for RMAing it. Don't why should the company pay for your "Friends" mistakes....

RMAing is just there to make sure that any faulty cards didn't make it past the screening process. If your "Friend" can't afford to replace it then maybe he/she should check with their insurance company atlot of insurance companys cover for accidental damage (UK ones do) and maybe your "Friend" could claim from them.

and Take Heed.... learn from your freinds lesson and make sure you never do it again.

Yes, it was/is really a friend, we both got our cards at the same time/place though. I do not watercool. Only the CPU was water-cooled, not the GPU. As for how it actually happened, he told me he was just blowing out some dust. But who knows what really happened. A

Haha, I just got off the p hone with him. He tried it out this morning, and it now works. Moral Dilema avoided, everyone rejoice.

Urraca said:
Haha, I just got off the p hone with him. He tried it out this morning, and it now works. Moral Dilema avoided, everyone rejoice.

That really isn't that uncommon. While wet, traces are shorted and the card will not work. Given ample time to dry, it is restored.

swoop56 said:

Here's is the rule on OC'ing/modding. If you can't afford to replace it. You can't afford to OC it.

Even if he never touched the vid card. It was still placed in a system where the likelyhood of it being damaged was high. A few drips of water from the CPU above is just as much his fault as if he dropped the card from arms height. He caused the damage.

I broke my 6800GT that way. I atually knocked it off a table, etc. I wrote to EVGA saying it was MY FAULT and I'd be willing to pay to fix it. They told me they don't do direct repairs, and to tell the merchant about it and they may accept it that way. I wrote to zip zoom fly telling them it was MY FAULT that I dropped the card, and that I offered to pay for repairs out of my pocket, and they exchanged it without a word.

Rob

Robstar said:
I broke my 6800GT that way. I atually knocked it off a table, etc. I wrote to EVGA saying it was MY FAULT and I'd be willing to pay to fix it. They told me they don't do direct repairs, and to tell the merchant about it and they may accept it that way. I wrote to zip zoom fly telling them it was MY FAULT that I dropped the card, and that I offered to pay for repairs out of my pocket, and they exchanged it without a word.

Rob

There is nothing wrong with that, and no here would have a problem with that. You fully admitted that it was your fault, and told the manufacturer and vendor this. You offered to pay for the repairs, becaues it was your fault, and the vendor offered to handle the exchange for nothing.

The problem comes when the damage is user caused and people do not admit to this, giving the vendor or manufacturer the option of whether they will cover it or not.

Tengis said:
Hrm... ya know, even though my 9800pro died of natural causes, I didnt see any prices go up when I RMAd the bitch back to ATI.

I guarantee you that anyone that cant afford to buy another one without thinking twice would RMA it.

Sure am glad your card didn't die to you being stupid. Glad original poster card is working again. And yes in the long run RMA will make card prices go up... that not to hard to tell. And anyone that cant afford to do something can always be driven to do something against there morals. Lots of people would change there morals when they havent eaten in 15 days. But I dont think starving to death isn't the same as having a computer that dont work. Then again to some people if it your only computer ... maybe. :p

Urraca said:
My friend who water cools, sprang a very minor leak in his setup. By minor I mean maybe a few drops go out when he was cleaning inside of his case. When that happened his monitor completely died.

someone explain to me why you would clean the INSIDE of your watercooled case, while having it run? I mean, really, how difficult is it to shut the system down? I mean, if the system is off, i.e. nothing is running, unseating a DIMM or similar things do not do any damage. Maybe I am just clumsy, but usually I turn my system off before i do anything inside.

drizzt81 said:
someone explain to me why you would clean the INSIDE of your watercooled case, while having it run? I mean, really, how difficult is it to shut the system down? I mean, if the system is off, i.e. nothing is running, unseating a DIMM or similar things do not do any damage. Maybe I am just clumsy, but usually I turn my system off before i do anything inside.

You are right .. you should always shut your system down before cleaning. That is why the original poster was in error and shouldn't RMA the item. Though since the item is working again it is a mute point now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back