friend hacked at free wifi spot in the library.

knothead34

[H]ard|Gawd
a friend of mine was using free wireless at the library and a script kiddie placed a user account on his laptop and messed up his whole machine. i heard about a program somewhere that you can run in background while at a free wifi spot that will alert you if your being hacked into or sniffed out. anyone know of one? ill google now but im trying to figure out just how to word it. any help would be appreciated.

what OS was he using when he got "hacked"?

I bet his machine was unpatched and wide open....

x2

but yeah a good 2 way firewall and a patched system should of been plenty to stop most people. If he's using XP, my personal favorite was Sygate pro but unfortunitly it's no longer supported. comodo is pretty decent too IMO

x2

but yeah a good 2 way firewall and a patched system should of been plenty to stop most people. If he's using XP, my personal favorite was Sygate pro but unfortunitly it's no longer supported. comodo is pretty decent too IMO

The XP built in firewall is all you need, unless you are already infected and need to "monitor" outgoing communication.

That said.. I am using Comodo on my Vista box because I was using a no-cd .exe for Mercenaries 2 off of Game Copy World so I wouldn't have to put the DVD in. About a month after I got the damn thing and had been using it.. that .exe comes up as a Trojan something or another in Avira. So, WTF I said... I need to monitor what was leaving my PC now cause who knows what.

-Side note.. I just put the disc's in the drive nowadays.. no honor among pirates anymore I guess.

x3

It's getting rather irritating these days with everyone thinking they got "hacked" or have a "virus" when something goes wrong and really it's their own damn fault for running some pirated version of windows (which may or may not be true in this case) that hasn't been patched in ages. This is what you get for taking your sloppy machine in to the wild and expecting everything to be ok. :rolleyes:

If people just got some decent A/V on their systems, purchased their copy of windows, and didn't torrent every new game and Miley Cyrus album that is released they would be fine for the most part.

/rant

Ok, since everyone got the shaming out of the way ~.^ I ave a legit question that you havent addressed; has he installed an antivirus, enabled his firewall and removed the offending files form his pc yet?

The XP built in firewall is all you need, unless you are already infected and need to "monitor" outgoing communication.

That said.. I am using Comodo on my Vista box because I was using a no-cd .exe for Mercenaries 2 off of Game Copy World so I wouldn't have to put the DVD in. About a month after I got the damn thing and had been using it.. that .exe comes up as a Trojan something or another in Avira. So, WTF I said... I need to monitor what was leaving my PC now cause who knows what.

-Side note.. I just put the disc's in the drive nowadays.. no honor among pirates anymore I guess.

while true, I still like seeing/being alerted when someone/something is connecting (or trying to connect) to me, and/or dialing home. I also didn't like applications changing windows firewall settings. Maybe it's an OCD thing, but I never felt comfortable with it.

With that said, different strokes for different folks :)

Last edited:
he has a legit copy of windows xp. i think he was running free avg. he put a knoppix cd in and could see some files he needed but couldnt access them. he was definately hacked ...hacker made another user account and loaded a script on his machine. he lost everything and had to reinstall. from what i read windows firewall isent that robust. i was using google last night and saw a bunch of blogs about hackers using free wifi hotspots to do these sort of things. im sure there is a program though that can alert you when your being probed or hacked into for you laptop.

while true, I still like seeing/being alerted when someone/something is connecting (or trying to connect) to me, and/or dialing home. I also didn't like applications changing windows firewall settings. Maybe it's an OCD thing, but I never felt comfortable with it.

Yep, and that's exactly why I installed it after I feared I might have been infected.

Comodo is very thorough protecting your system. The Defense+ is good stuff along with the Firewall part.

Tip for Comodo users, I didn't find this out at first and pulled my hair out for a bit and it may be obvious, but when you run a game for the very first time, put Comodo into "Training Mode". Run the game, and when you are done, put it back to your normal mode and you will be all set and won't have to mess with it again for that game.

he has a legit copy of windows xp. i think he was running free avg. he put a knoppix cd in and could see some files he needed but couldnt access them. he was definately hacked ...hacker made another user account and loaded a script on his machine. he lost everything and had to reinstall. from what i read windows firewall isent that robust. i was using google last night and saw a bunch of blogs about hackers using free wifi hotspots to do these sort of things. im sure there is a program though that can alert you when your being probed or hacked into for you laptop.

Your friend might just have been suckered is all.

http://video.msn.com/video.aspx?mkt=en-us&vid=1e76322a-904e-4ce4-8f1d-b6c8742593ac

If he had no password set on his account, and connected to any wifi he'll be owned
If he hasn't patched at all and connects to a wifi, he'll be owned

It is really easy to setup a fake AP that will just toss a bunch of exploits at anything that connects to it.

im sure he keeps windows all patched up as well as his avg. i think he logged onto a bogus ap.....which the hacker setup. sounds likely anyways. i do think he even has a log on password to get onto windows.

Yep, and that's exactly why I installed it after I feared I might have been infected.

Comodo is very thorough protecting your system. The Defense+ is good stuff along with the Firewall part.

Tip for Comodo users, I didn't find this out at first and pulled my hair out for a bit and it may be obvious, but when you run a game for the very first time, put Comodo into "Training Mode". Run the game, and when you are done, put it back to your normal mode and you will be all set and won't have to mess with it again for that game.

i tried comodo and it still did memory dumps. i did try the training mode then normal mode and still got memory dumps. ever since i switched to something else no more memory dumps.

Back