Friend got ripped off? - emachines -

So my buddy told me yesterday that he was in a pinch, and needed a desktop, so he bought an emachines for around $750 with warranty.

Here are the specs:

CPU : Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 6311
Operating System : Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Basic2
Chipset : Intel® 945G
Memory : 1GB DDR2
Hard Drive : 160GB SATA II (7200rpm)3
Optical Drives : 16x Multi-Format Dual-Layer
Media Reader : High-Performance 15-in-1 Digital Media Manager
Video : Graphics Media Accelerator 950
Monitor : 17" LCD Display (E17T4W)

Is it me, or is this complete larceny? A Pentium 4? A gig of RAM for Vista? On board video? wtf??

I bit my tongue in telling him the truth, and that he should have done MUCH better for the $$, as I just built a C2D rig for my dad for $800, that blows that POS away. Are they trying to get rid of old stock or somethign? :confused: I feel really bad for him, but honestly, when you know someone who knows a little about computers, and you know JACK SH*T, you should have called and asked a couple questions. I mean, even with Dell he could have done better.

emachines FTL?

Hell yeah he got ripped off. My computer cost just a little more all in all, and I bet the emachines would get right down and...

ahem. Yeah he got ripped off. Bad. I'm serious. Oh well.

my 2 cents..

ive been working at bestbuy for almost 2 years and worked computer sales for over a year and the rest is in geek squad. we all HATE the emachines with a passion. Especially now cuz they only give you Vista Basic which blows ass and most of them are either celerons or really shitty p4's with if your lucky 1gb of ram. he was better off buying a gateway, or building his own machine

Really? The emachines that I've seen have generally been the best deals at the store. I recently saw an add in the paper for a a64 3200+ with 1gb of ram and a 160gb HDD for like $350 after rebate. I'm quite surprised to see a deal that bad, but yeah he definitely should have given you a call before making that purchase. Can't you get him to return it? :rolleyes:

You have to remember he also got an LCD with that. Its not super fast but I'm sure its great for some people who need an all-in-one solution. The prices quoted here probably didn't include a screen or an OS.

You have to remember he also got an LCD with that. Its not super fast but I'm sure its great for some people who need an all-in-one solution. The prices quoted here probably didn't include a screen or an OS.
even when taking that into account he still go ripped off. figure $250 for a 17" lcd and vista oem and you got $500 for a rig. and with that he could've at minimum got a decent am2 setup with 2gigs ram and a dedicated video card.

even when taking that into account he still go ripped off. figure $250 for a 17" lcd and vista oem and you got $500 for a rig. and with that he could've at minimum got a decent am2 setup with 2gigs ram and a dedicated video card.

Thats fine and good but I don't think this is a "rip off omg!"

Some people don't have the ability to build a computer and some people, gee, want support or a warranty with their computer?

I would never buy an emachines (or a non-Mac prebuilt computer) but they're great for some people.

I'd never pay that much for that system.

=====================

From www.slickdeals.net:

Dell Small Business has Dimension C521 system for $479with free shippin. Thanks andyle and rukster

Specs:

Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 3800+
Genuine Windows XP Home Edition
1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz- 2DIMMs
160GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache
16x DVD+/-RW Drive
19 inch E197FP Analog Flat Panel
NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE Integrated Graphics GPU
Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio
1 Year On-site Economy Plan
Integrated 10/100 Ethernet

Good upgrades to consider:

* 20 inch E207WFP Widescreen Digital Flat Panel [add $50]

Some people don't have the ability to build a computer and some people, gee, want support or a warranty with their computer?

I would never buy an emachines (or a non-Mac prebuilt computer) but they're great for some people.

This isn't about the ability of someone to build a computer or not. It's about someone blatantly being overcharged for outdated hardware, and minimal features.

Yes, I'd say he could have gotten a MUCH better deal.

But he has a friend that does build systems, and at the very least, knows a little bit about the hardware and it's costs.

with the Dell system listed in the posts above for $479, i think this is a "omg rip off!1" scenario.

While it's not a great deal, it's still a common one. But, for an eMachines? Bad deal.

eMachines aren't top quality, and they usually sell them for cheap. Outdated parts, even with a monitor, for that high of a price, given the brand, is the part that makes it a bad deal.

A newer eMachines can come with a X2, more RAM, bigger HD for less money. Including monitor.

Wow. emachines usually gives you a decent deal but that was heartbreaking.

The emachines I've worked on generally have horrible motherboards and refurbished hard drives but all other parts are decent for the task, ram running at least PC3200/PC2-5300.

That computer sucks hardcore.

I'd never pay that much for that system.

=====================

From www.slickdeals.net:

Dell Small Business has Dimension C521 system for $479with free shippin. Thanks andyle and rukster

Specs:

Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 3800+
Genuine Windows XP Home Edition
1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz- 2DIMMs
160GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache
16x DVD+/-RW Drive
19 inch E197FP Analog Flat Panel
NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE Integrated Graphics GPU
Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio
1 Year On-site Economy Plan
Integrated 10/100 Ethernet

Good upgrades to consider:

* 20 inch E207WFP Widescreen Digital Flat Panel [add $50]

You can get that slickdeals price any day at any store. Right? :rolleyes:
It is a fair price. Not a deal, but a fair price.

How much would you charge for the hours you put in building your own rig?
How much would you charge to support "On-site" a computer for a year?

I would charge more than $750, and that's for sure.

You can get that slickdeals price any day at any store. Right? :rolleyes:
It is a fair price. Not a deal, but a fair price.

How much would you charge for the hours you put in building your own rig?
How much would you charge to support "On-site" a computer for a year?

I would charge more than $750, and that's for sure.

Right, but if you build the same computer over and over again, 8 hrs a day... You can do them in around 15 minutes. Honestly, I can build my "mid-range gaming" system in about 25 minutes start to finish.

Your own custom rig, then yes, extra fees would be in order. But for a conveyor belt construction scheme... eh, not so much.

The on-site support is a much better argument. It's still not worth 750$ though.

Back