Fried Mobo or PSU?

equalme

Gawd
Rookie mistake. I was plugging/unplugged RGB LED fan to 3-pin while the PC was running. It sparked and the PC turned off. PC turned back on with no issues, but now problem with 3 out of 7 USB ports are not functioning, seems to provide enough power to light up the mouse but no function. Onboard sound does not seem to be working either. I can connect to sound with bluetooth, USB, or HDMI. Otherwise the PC itself functions normally with no BSOD or random crashes.

PSU Corsair SFX 600
Mobo Asrock Fatality B450M gaming-itx/ac

I would think the psu has overload rail shutdown, but if you have a spare unit it would be good to try out. also maybe try unplugging the psu form wall for 30min. If not that then look for blown fuses on mobo.

I'd think it's a fried mobo for sure.

But don't worry. Unlike the stupidity posted above me, it has nothing to do with your brand of CPU. Just be more careful in the future ;).

I'd think it's a fried mobo for sure.

But don't worry. Unlike the stupidity posted above me, it has nothing to do with your brand of CPU. Just be more careful in the future ;).
I'd agree. Odd that he fried the mobo doing that, I've plugged in fans while it's running lots of times and had no problems.

Certainly a motherboard issue. And it has absolutely zero to do with the brand CPU you use. And no, you do not need a fan controller. Those days are long gone.

I have also plugged in fans while the pc was running for 2 decades and never had a problem. Probably a minor mistake but it sounds like you need a new motherboard OP.

Last edited:
If he accidentally plugged a 3 pin fan on a 4 pin header, and put it one pin over where it should be, you could short a bunch of things out.

Before you ditch the mobo try a different PSU first (if you can). Much easier to change out a PSU than a mobo. Still, it's probably the mobo. :(

Back