friction-less mousekit !

Wonder what will happen to the bearings overtime...would there be degradation from wear and tear such as dust build up...and the ability to clean the bearings out...

A pretty hefty investment for $150.

Wonder what will happen to the bearings overtime...would there be degradation from wear and tear such as dust build up...and the ability to clean the bearings out...

A pretty hefty investment for $150.

regarding the dirt and keeping the bearing clean. this paper/bearing combination it's kind of magical to put it in some understandable way, in practice: the barings stay perfectly polished all the time. trust me, it's magical but it works. i've been using them for 2 years and they are perfectly polished and clean like the first time. the good thing is that you have a consistent movement always. you only have to change the paper pad every week or two. the paper is easily found on office stores and the printed patern you can do them with your own printer or some a3 or a2 plotter. it's really cheap

was 500$ at first :)

http://www.esreality.com/post/2323823/new-mouse-technology/

I'm not sure I'd want less friction. As OP mentions, Drag isn't bad, it stabilizes movement.

What I do need is "constant" friction levels.

kind of cool idea. From video it doesnt appear "frictionless" but is definitely very low friction.

The real appeal here, is that manufacturers could make heavier mice without sacrificing ergonomics/performance.

But sometimes it isnt even weight, but the drag on the mouse. The Razer Naga Hex, for example, feels heavy to me at 134g, but the Razer Deathadder at 148g feels much lighter. Clearly, it's not the weight but the friction of the design thats an issue. Something like the "frictionless" mouse kit could be an equilizer in this regard.

That's funny that this is like a revamp of where mouse's originally came from. I bet you'd have to clean the balls out just like you did with old ball mouses.

Looks pretty freakin sweet though.

I rely on the friction to stabilize my mouse movements. I don't think this would help with frags, but its personal preference I guess. What would be cool is adjustable friction (not adjustable weights)

Having a specific amount of friction is useful.
Having an initial drag that will force you not move the mouse at all until you reach a specific force which will make you move it too much when it does move, is the worst thing that you can have in a mouse.
The one thing people underestimate is the fact that a frictionless mouse to be properly controlled for Left-Right movements needs to be WIDE enough to have enough grip to the mouse. This will reduce the amount of unwanted movements from a frictionless setup, and will also lower the force needed to move a mouse from an overly draggy surface.
In my opinion people are searching for grip and control in the wrong place, wideness of the mouse is the first place to look for it. Hopefully companies will learn this concept...

it will stop working within a month when dust/hair/dead skin cells(which is what dust is made out of) and other junk gets in the bearings as others have said. I mean the reason why no one makes a ball mouse anymore is cuz of the gunk, and there doesn't seem to be an easy way to clean out those ball bearings. just get hyperglide and either an icemat or steel series aluminum pad, it's pretty near frictionless without the ball bearing hassle.

I rely on the friction to stabilize my mouse movements. I don't think this would help with frags, but its personal preference I guess. What would be cool is adjustable friction (not adjustable weights)

Isn't that what different mouse pads are for? Everyone was crazy about hard pads with very little friction a few years ago (ok, more than a few, 5+)... The rougher feeling the less drag, which a lot of people don't seem to understand, smoother means more surface area contact which means more friction.

Now days a lot of people favor cloth pads again because they actually prefer more drag... It's all very subjective and down to a mix of drag vs sensitivity. This thing seems like a complicated/costly/flawed solution for a problem that doesn't exist. Crowd funding is getting out of control IMO, too many suckers out there I guess.

Back