Fresh win10 but only have winXP+win7 upgrade

naib

[H]ard|Gawd
What is the simplest route to install win10 if I have to start from scratch and I have a full XP (with key) and a win7 upgrade licence.

Do I need to
Install XP -> upgrade to win7 -> upgrade to win10

In that respect yes:

1) Install XP and do whatever (you'll probably need to activate it if it's a retail copy, should be easy to do - if it's an OEM machine with branded OEM installation media like a Dell disc for a Dell then that will be activated when the installation is done.

2) Install the Windows 7 upgrade fully and completely.

3) Install the Windows 10 upgrade fully and completely.

4) After Windows 10 is installed and it shows activated under System Properties, you should be able to wipe that system clean at that point and do a full clean install of Windows 10 on the same hardware - skip the Product Key entry both times - and as soon as it's up and running and online, it'll activate with Microsoft without any user intervention.

Thanks that's what I feared...

99.999% of the time I boot to Linux and I haven't booted the win HDD in like a year... It BSOD immediately and could not be repaired so a reinstall was needed...

I was hoping I could install win10/and then use win7 disk + winXP+key to auth but we'll :(

I guess I know what I am doing this weekend

No no no. Forget about XP, don't waste your time.
Install Win7 Upgrade, select clean install. See here http://winsupersite.com/article/windows-7/clean-install-windows-7-with-upgrade-media-128512
Upgrade to Win10, select clean install. Delete Windows.old folder after it is installed.

Thanks that actually worked.

Clean install with the Win7 upgrade disk
Untick the activation online
BOOT
goto activate - FAILED
use reg hack
goto activate - ACTIVE

win7 is on its 3rd reboot/update cycle so hopefully this will finish soonish so win10 appears

win7 is on its 3rd reboot/update cycle so hopefully this will finish soonish so win10 appears
You don't need to go through all of the hassle to update all of the 7 patches or do the reservation thing. You just need an activated version of 7 or 8 on your PC. Then run this utility and select to 'upgrade this PC'. This method is officially supported by Microsoft.

Microsoft FAQ said:
Absolutely can’t wait? You have a couple of options to get your upgrade sooner:
1. Visit a Microsoft Store for free upgrade services.
2. Use the Media Creation Tool to install immediately on one or more devices (recommended for tech-savvy users only).

Last night I did a clean install of 8 and did not patch anything or apply 8.1 update and was immediately after installation of 8 able to use the utility to delete everything and upgrade to 10. Afterwords I ran disk cleanup of system files and erased nearly 8GB of leftover files, then ran defrag to consolidate disk space.

Last edited:
Back