Fresh OS install on new B3 MB's

Fresh OS install or not ? (new B3)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

coolhand411

Weaksauce
Ok so with the new mobo swap ..how many of you end up installing fresh OS ?

and what's your opinion ?

Last edited:
No need to reinstall at all. I didn't and I don't notice a difference at all and I didn't expect to.

I see no reason why you would need to reinstall your OS.

there is a lot of guys that will tell you otherwise ,like.."It's recommended because all devices will have new assignments (IRQs, DMI...) from new mobo, and data garbage of registry/drivers from components from older mobo will remain in hard disk"

I opted not to ,and so far so good except few weird freezes in the beginning ,but after clearing cmos it looks like ok so far

there is a lot of guys that will tell you otherwise
A lot of people say a lot of things, but that doesn't mean they're right. We're talking about swapping the motherboard for an identical one and not changing any of the hardware. Windows doesn't have any problem with handling that.

Im still using my original day one Win 7 build from my Q6600 and P5Q Pro. Got my new B3 P867 Pro yesterday gonna do the swap on saturday.

On my last XP setup I changed motherboards 3 times, different makes, different sockets and different CPUs without reinstalling and all worked fine after a few reboots. I removed invisible unconnected devices from device manager to tidy that up a bit. (set environmental variable DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1)
Barry

I guess the myth is busted ,with 20:1 ratio so far the answer is simple .".if it's not broken.. "
Thank you all for participating

I didn't and all was fine. Had to reactivate Windows via the phone method though.

Mine went flawlessly. Didn't even have to reactivate. It did seem as if Win7 install some other bluetooth driver, however, but I didn't need to use a disc or anything.

WEI detected no new hardware and said that my scores were current.

I did not reinstall the OS.
I let it install the drivers and all seems good.

I did clear the CSMOS before powering up the first time though. (had to reset the time)
And I Did have to reactivate (online)

someone help me...i just swapped my mobo to B3 and at first boot up windows reinstalled everydrivers.

I don't think it did this when i swapped it the first time ( RMA due to something else)

i can tell a difference because sc2 dropped in fps from 100ish to 75ish

other than that...i know drivers were replaced. i run raid, could it be because i reversed the sata ports? (both sata 3)

i had too on my WS revolution it would not boot when i swapped MB out.

Did you try doing a startup repair?

machine would black out once it went throught POST. i screwed with it for about 20 minutes then said screw it and reloaded. its a F@H machine so was just faster to reload it.

So no, you didn't do a startup repair, which probably would have fixed your problem without requiring you to reinstall Windows.

I just did the swap today and noticed that some hardwares (motherboard components) had to be re-detected. Bunch had a (!).. but after few minutes it all got detected and drivers installed.
BUT! my Windows 7 did asked to "Activate my windows" again.

I just did the swap today and noticed that some hardwares (motherboard components) had to be re-detected. Bunch had a (!).. but after few minutes it all got detected and drivers installed.
BUT! my Windows 7 did asked to "Activate my windows" again.

Just installed my B3 board about 25 minutes ago. Same thing with me, in fact Windows even lost my audio driver.

Ended up calling MS to reactive Win7 too.

I have an OEM version of Win 7. After replacing the board I had to activate again as I expected, but I was also thinking I would have to call Msft. I clicked the activate online and it was happy, no call needed. Wonder how it is determined? Luck of the draw?

Just installed my B3 board about 25 minutes ago. Same thing with me, in fact Windows even lost my audio driver.

same here ,reinstalled audio driver,reactivated win,disabled win update..smooth sailing

I have an OEM version of Win 7. After replacing the board I had to activate again as I expected, but I was also thinking I would have to call Msft. I clicked the activate online and it was happy, no call needed. Wonder how it is determined? Luck of the draw?

I had to do a repair and reactivate my OEM copy of Windows 7. It reactivated just fine online, with no phone call needed.

Back