Fresh Debian install and unallocated disk space is massive!

eagleknight

Limp Gawd
I installed Debian on a 320GB drive. I created a 15Gb swap and a 50GB root partition. The rest I left unpartitioned. When the install was finished and I went into the disk manager it has the unallocated section showing like 1348328TB. Some crazy number... is this normal? :confused::eek:

How big is your drive (obviously not 2 million terabytes). Maybe just a decimal issue?

edit: Nvm I can't read

Last edited:
320GB... I added one of my 1TB drives and it showed up ok. Maybe I should just reinstall?

15GB swap? What is this... I don't even...

Isn't that a bit excessive and a huge waste of space, especially on a Linux distro? Geez, even on a machine with 1GB of RAM in it my swap partitions are never more than 256MB, ever.

/me scratches his head... 15 freakin' gig swap... wow.

15GB swap? What is this... I don't even...

Isn't that a bit excessive and a huge waste of space, especially on a Linux distro? Geez, even on a machine with 1GB of RAM in it my swap partitions are never more than 256MB, ever.

/me scratches his head... 15 freakin' gig swap... wow.

Coming from the FreeBSD side, though I suspect linux might do something similar: You typically want a touch more swap than RAM to be able to save a full memdump if your kernel crashes (it's dumped to swap, then saved to normal disk from swap on boot). Or you can enable text dumps (so you just get a backtrace saved as a text file), or minidumps, or just don't save core dumps at all. They're not exactly common in the first place.

Oh, and hibernation typically hits swap. Again, only relevant if you happen to care.

(Personally, I have a fair bit of swap set up on my workstation - it's useful if I leave it overnight chewing on something memory-intensive, since it hardly matters if it pushes most other things out to disk.)

Back