frequent, brief packet loss at home

ZeqOBpf6

Gawd
ughhh
It's about once every 20 minutes for maybe 5 seconds, which is still pretty disruptive for stuff like streaming or online gaming

Had ISP come out three times, replaced the router twice. I'm plugged in ethernet, no wireless.
Machine is fully up to date (experiencing issue on multiple devices) First guy replaced the blocker or whatever that prevents us from getting cable TV, said that should help. Signal was +8.
Forget what the second guy did.
Third guy said +8 is not ideal, though within spec, said closer to 0db the better. Now we hover between 0 and -2 (when he was here) He also ran a wire or whatever so the router would be in a different spot in the house.

Doing no torrenting very minimal bandwidth or device usage, only me and 1 other person home.

Tried

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
ipconfig /flushdns
restoring router to factory settings
rebooting router
ISP came three times, they say signal hovers between 0 and -2db which I guess is pretty much perfect.
Tried moving router to different coax jack
Updating drivers
speedtest shows 300mbps down and 15mbps up(lol) all day, pings are good

Is there any chance this isn't on the ISP? I feel like it's on them but I have no idea how they could possibly help any more than they already have.
Router is an all in one, Arris/Motorola SBG8300 https://www.amazon.com/ARRIS-Surfboard-Gigabit-Certified-Xfinity/dp/B07M9J3XW2 I know it's not a Ubiquiti or Cisco Catalyst but I feel like this should be able to handle 5Mbps without dropping packets nonstop.

I'm down for using WireShark, or *whatever* to at least pinpoint this, but I am really bad with WireShark so not sure where to begin.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
could be that^^, its on the list.
we have also been having all sorts of odd issues with ipv6 at work, maybe try turning it off. then if it is still an issue id suspect that^^.

That doesn't seem totally incongruent as with our first modem, a Hitron, we definitely weren't having issues like this. I asked for a new one cuz we are still on some rental contract (not my idea!) and they were giving it out for free.
Crazy to have that issue with two of them though.

Sounds like a drop issue to me, i know they switched coax in house but was drop from tap into house replaced?

Had ISP come out three times, replaced the router twice. I'm plugged in ethernet, no wireless.
Machine is fully up to date (experiencing issue on multiple devices) First guy replaced the blocker or whatever that prevents us from getting cable TV, said that should help. Signal was +8.
Forget what the second guy did.
Third guy said +8 is not ideal, though within spec, said closer to 0db the better. Now we hover between 0 and -2 (when he was here) He also ran a wire or whatever so the router would be in a different spot in the house.

There are multiple signal levels that you need to monitor. It sounds like you are talking about the downstream power levels. Downstream power levels can be between +15 and -15 dBmV, with closer to 0 being better.
There is also the downstream SNR. You want this to be in the mid 30's or higher, the higher the better.
Then there is the upstream power level. Ideally you want this to be at or above (but not too far above) 45dBmV.

If all those levels check out, then it's probably an Intel Puma chipset issue. Ditch the SBG8300 combo device and get an SB8200 (Cablemodem only, does not use Puma chipset) and a separate router.

Might not be related but I had a bad packet loss issue using mixed T568A and T568B in my network. The effect of just using any old cable I found laying around over the years. Since I made all new cables using the T568B standard, network quality has been pristine

There are some nice sites out there to test packet loss as well

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Back