Freezing issue with 1800x

Hello, running into an odd issue with this machine, was wondering if anyone else has seen something similar. Here's the setup

1800x
ROG Strix x370F Gaming
16gb Corsair DDR4 (from Asus compatibility list)
Gigabyte GTX1080
EK 280 watercooling kit
EVGA 850w PSU
Samsung 960 Evo 256gb m.2

I originally assembled this machine for someone over the summer, sent it to him, it started freezing randomly. He shipped it back, and during testing it will run for varying lengths of time before freezing. When it freezes, it is a hard lock; you have to hit the switch on the PSU to power it down. I have tried swapping nearly every component, my first thought was RAM so I swapped out the original Gskill RAM with the Corsair. Then I thought perhaps the motherboard, so I tried a different board as well, no change. Had Asus RMA look at the first board and they saw no issue. Also swapped the PSU out, went and got an EVGA 1000w, same behavior. Temperatures are not an issue that i'm aware of, even running AIDA64 for days straight, with the door to my test area shut it only ever hit 63. Typical load temps during the test are 58-59.

At this point the only thing I can think of is a defect on the CPU substrate, as when the issue happens, if you power off and back on right away it will usually not work properly again unless it sits and is alllowed to cool down. There was a 2tb spinning drive in the machine that I also removed and swapped with a spare drive I had, did not seem to help. Also removed the drive entirely as a test.

Everything seems to point at the CPU being bad, but figured i'd see if anyone else has ever seen this behavior. In 15 years of building computers I've only ever had one CPU be bad, and that was because the guy didnt use thermal paste. It was a Northwood P4 and it fried something inside of it after that, because it'd idle at 55c.

Any suggestions welcome.

Sounds like you've done everything you can do at this point. RMA the CPU.

running stock? tried playing with the cpu voltage at all? try bumping the ram voltage too, + ~10%.

If you haven't already, you can try the BIOS voodoo of disabling C6 sleep state and setting power supply idle control to idle current typical. I'm inclined to think your CPU is bad but it's worth a try.

Can you try the stress test with either another videocard and or the card in another slot from a usb drive without anything else connected.

Have you tried and tested the cpu in the different brand motherboard and not use any of the components?

Btw wasn't there a problem with water cooling and some Ryzen motherboard which required different seals ?

Last edited:
Can you try the stress test with either another videocard and or the card in another slot from a usb drive without anything else connected.

Have you tried and tested the cpu in the different brand motherboard and not use any of the components?

Btw wasn't there a problem with water cooling and some Ryzen motherboard which required different seals ?

I have essentially done this, just not all at once. I did double check all of the fittings as well and it for sure isnt leaking, it's a kit that supports AM4 and it has a small enough volume of coolant that any loss would be noticeable. I did try not only different Corsair RAM but also my 16gb Patriot kit as well. I can try a test from USB too, i'd just have to build a memtest or something.

Not directly applicable, but...

I had an i7-6700k. I'd have a rare lockup issue. Running some code, someone far more educated on these things than I am, stated that it looked like a CPU error on the software. I downloaded Intel's CPU test utility. Each run would take about 10 minutes. It failed a math test on the 2nd run. I then disabled all other tests and just ran the math test. It took 300 additional runs before it failed the math test again. (That test, on its own, only took a few seconds per iteration.) If it hadn't failed that 2nd test, I would not have focused on it. It was a rare fail, and it would've taken over 2 days of looping the full test suite (300 runs, 10 minutes: 3,000 minutes) to have found the error. I would not have done that. 24 hours would've been the most I'd run a test.

Intel RMA'd the cpu.

TL;DR: find an AMD cpu test and run it for 2 days or more.

I had an i7-6700k. I'd have a rare lockup issue. Running some code, someone far more educated on these things than I am, stated that it looked like a CPU error on the software. I downloaded Intel's CPU test utility. Each run would take about 10 minutes. It failed a math test on the 2nd run. I then disabled all other tests and just ran the math test. It took 300 additional runs before it failed the math test again. (That test, on its own, only took a few seconds per iteration.) If it hadn't failed that 2nd test, I would not have focused on it. It was a rare fail, and it would've taken over 2 days of looping the full test suite (300 runs, 10 minutes: 3,000 minutes) to have found the error. I would not have done that. 24 hours would've been the most I'd run a test.

Intel RMA'd the cpu.

AMD has overdrive software ;)

Intel RMA'd the cpu.

Tried this with Intel's software, made it freeze in 11 runs (about an hour). So I think that pretty well isolates it then.

Is your memory at stock settings? My board defaulted my memory to incorrect settings for some reason and it was locking up randomly (no blue screen, system would just completely freeze). I manually changed them to the speed, voltage and timings it says on the RAM. Fixed my issue. Also may be worth updating BIOS if you didn't already.

I originally assembled this machine for someone over the summer, sent it to him, it started freezing randomly. He shipped it back, and during testing it will run for varying lengths of time before freezing. When it freezes, it is a hard lock; you have to hit the switch on the PSU to power it down.

I say this behavior many times on my 2700. A BIOS update on my ASUS X470 Prime Pro eventually fixed the issue.

if you power off and back on right away it will usually not work properly again unless it sits and is alllowed to cool down.

I did not have this part.

I say this behavior many times on my 2700. A BIOS update on my ASUS X470 Prime Pro eventually fixed the issue.

I did not have this part.
Yeah I originally thought a bios issue as well except for the stability part, the guy I sent it to was impatient too so he bricked his windows installation trying to boot it over and over again and so I had to redo it.

Side note, apparently the modular cables for an EVGA 850GQ and the 1000G+ are not all the same, the SATA cables seemed to have different pinouts. Glad all that I broke was a 2tb hard drive though.

Back