Freeware "SMART" monitor ???

/dev/null

[H]F Junkie
Anyone know of a freeware SMART hard disk monitor? I'm mostly concerned about disk temps.

Rob

I tried this, but it doesn't seem to recognize any of my sata drives on my sil 3114.

Anything else? Did I download the wrong version?

Rob

I'm not certain whether SMART can be monitored when the HDD is connected to an external (not part of the chipset) controller.

My System Suite 5 utilities will monitor the SMART on my SATA. Mine are on the SI controller. Also, System Suite 6 is available at Target right now for $10 after rebate. Unfortunately, MaxPC gave this software a horrible review, but I like it.

Elledan said:
I'm not certain whether SMART can be monitored when the HDD is connected to an external (not part of the chipset) controller.

Why would this be? This doesn't seem to make sense...esp if it isn't a raid controller.

And that software didn't see my onboard SAT drives either. My SIL3114 on the motherboard wasn't seen.

Rob

Elledan said:

limitation of speen fan SMART software
it can be read, it just has to be polled properly from the controller
i dont know of anything for free/open source for the windows platform that can do this
though you might want to look into big brother (software not tv show) as i sorta recall it might be able to do it.

Back