Freesync on Korean 4k IPS 42" & 55"?

It's arriving tomorrow. I can't wait, 2-day shipping from Korea to NYC. I'm definitely impressed.

This would be very tempting if I needed a monitor and wanted to go 4K, even without FreeSync.

Be interested to hear how the uniformity is with these displays. Whether they are like typical monitors, or more like your typical TV with random bright/dark spots.

Also would be interested about the quality of the power supply they use. A lot of TVs are too noisy to be used as desktop monitors because of extremely loud whine/hum/buzz.

I quickly scanned the thread and just in case people didn't know AMD has been working on Freesync through HDMI. They already showed off a working proof of concept last month at Computex.

http://wccftech.com/amd-shows-off-freesync-over-hdmi-concept/

They will develop the tech and protocols and submit it to update the HDMI standard as they did with DisplayPort.

2 biggest questions for me would be if this would allow consoles and nvidia cards to use freesync?

this would allow consoles and nvidia cards to use freesync?
NVidia cards don't support FreeSync by choice. They are already allowed to use FreeSync (or rather, DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync).
Plus, it is my understanding that mobile G-Sync uses eDP Adaptive-Sync, so it's not a technical limitation in NVidia's chips.

Consoles would be interesting. DisplayPort is not very widespread in consumer electronics, so having it as part of HDMI would certainly help. Whether the console hardware is actually FreeSync capable is another question though.

So, how is it? Trade in my Samsung UN48JS9000 for it?

DHL delayed shipping since it missed the flight from Ohio to NYC so I'm getting it on Monday.

The thing with the Wasabi mango is that the colors won't "pop" as much as the Samsung Since it's an IPS monitor. I currently have a Samsung TV (60ES8000) and I know that Samsung likes to over saturate their TV's so the WM will definitely be more muted.

NVidia cards don't support FreeSync by choice. They are already allowed to use FreeSync (or rather, DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync).
Plus, it is my understanding that mobile G-Sync uses eDP Adaptive-Sync, so it's not a technical limitation in NVidia's chips.

Consoles would be interesting. DisplayPort is not very widespread in consumer electronics, so having it as part of HDMI would certainly help. Whether the console hardware is actually FreeSync capable is another question though.

Nvidia's current cards cannot support adaptive sync. They need a timing controller, it's not something that desktop graphics cards have normally. The reason that Nvidia's mobile chips work is because variable refresh rate is a requirement for the eDP spec and has been since 2009. Adaptive sync is still only an optional part of the desktop display port standard and that was only introduced last year.

I am not sure it will work on consoles. The APU is GCN and all GCN APUs fully support freesync, but, since they were been adapted for consoles, they might have removed that functionality as they didn't need to adhere to eDP specifications as it was never going to use display port.

But the mobile chips are identical to the desktop/workstation chips, except for binning and fusing stuff off.

I fail to see why a chip would support Adaptive-Sync over eDP but not over DP.

But the mobile chips are identical to the desktop/workstation chips, except for binning and fusing stuff off.

Maybe it''s just disabled in driver to force non support?

DHL delayed shipping since it missed the flight from Ohio to NYC so I'm getting it on Monday.

The thing with the Wasabi mango is that the colors won't "pop" as much as the Samsung Since it's an IPS monitor. I currently have a Samsung TV (60ES8000) and I know that Samsung likes to over saturate their TV's so the WM will definitely be more muted.

The monitor I had before this Samsung was a 30" Dell IPS monitor and you are so right. The colors on this fully glossy Samsung are like nothing I have seen before. Truly stunning. I sometimes just stare at my desktop wallpaper in awe.

You need a timing control on the GPU to support adaptive sync, desktop GPUs don't have this as it hasn't been needed until the arrival of adaptive sync. But if you are putting your GPU in a laptop it needs to support the eDP specification. This still is optional in the desktop market. eDP and DP are not the same and have different specifications and requirements.

It's the reason why all GCN APU's support the all the features of freesync, but not all the desktop GCN parts do. It's also the reason why Intel could support adaptive sync if they wanted to with only a driver update as their integrated GPUs can support adaptive sync.

Received my monitor today and it was damaged. I can't say I wasn't surprised since there were a couple of people who received the same monitor in the same condition. Basically, these are packaged poorly and are more prone to damage. The power button broke on my first power up since it just recessed into the housing.

900x900px-LL-a49aed2f_20150727_165519.jpeg

900x900px-LL-633613f1_20150727_165524.jpeg

Received my monitor today and it was damaged. I can't say I wasn't surprised since there were a couple of people who received the same monitor in the same condition. Basically, these are packaged poorly and are more prone to damage. The power button broke on my first power up since it just recessed into the housing.

900x900px-LL-a49aed2f_20150727_165519.jpeg

900x900px-LL-633613f1_20150727_165524.jpeg

+1

Mine also arrived with a seriously cracked screen.

I just ordered a Crossover 404k as a replacement as it was $499. Although the Wasabi Mango looked nice, I don't have the time to spare getting another damaged monitor as it seems to be a very common issue.

I just ordered a Crossover 404k as a replacement as it was $499. Although the Wasabi Mango looked nice, I don't have the time to spare getting another damaged monitor as it seems to be a very common issue.

How easy will it be to replace or get a refund? Why do you have more faith in another off brand Korean monitor? Is it because of the cheap price?

Well, I bought the Wasabi Mango UHD420 from "daysale" on Amazon and they have been great with communications so far. They are having DHL come pick it up and issuing me a refund. I bought it from Amazon just in case I had a bad seller so that I had Amazon to back me up.

The Amazon seller "daysale" is also known as Green-Sum on ebay and many overclock.net users have said that he has excellent customer support and stands by his products and if something goes wrong, he would go out of his way to fix it. It also helps that they have a listed phone number and are located in California. So I'm not too worried about my purchase either way.

Edit: As to why I've chosen to go with the Crossover 404k as a replacement. I started the whole charade of replacing my LG 34UM95 with a 40"+ 4k monitor with the Philips BDM4065UC but it wasn't available in the US at the time I was looking. Then I wanted the Samsung JU6700 because of the large thread here but decided against it since it's still a TV and I'm not planning to upgrade my GPU this year so I won't have the HDMI 2.0 to run it.

I ordered the Wasabi Mango after I finally sold my LG 34UM95 on craigslist but it arrived damaged. At the time, I took a change because many owners actually received damaged panels because of inadequate packaging to protect the sides of the monitor which is where most of the damage is occurring. I know a member on OCN actually had to go through 3 panels to get a good one. Plus freesync is currently useless for me since I have a Nvidia GPU.

Finally, since Green-sum was having a 2 day sale on the Crossover 404k and their packaging was much better, I decided to replace my Wasabi Mango for it. It's basically the same panel as the Philips BDM4065UC that I originally wanted but $300 cheaper and non-PWM. At that point, I couldn't resist on a good deal so I pulled the trigger.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that batman,it does seem like a very common issue. I'm still gonna get a crossover 494k but I'm gonna get a square trade warranty

Well, I bought the Wasabi Mango UHD420 from "daysale" on Amazon and they have been great with communications so far. They are having DHL come pick it up and issuing me a refund. I bought it from Amazon just in case I had a bad seller so that I had Amazon to back me up.

The Amazon seller "daysale" is also known as Green-Sum on ebay and many overclock.net users have said that he has excellent customer support and stands by his products and if something goes wrong, he would go out of his way to fix it. It also helps that they have a listed phone number and are located in California. So I'm not too worried about my purchase either way.

Edit: As to why I've chosen to go with the Crossover 404k as a replacement. I started the whole charade of replacing my LG 34UM95 with a 40"+ 4k monitor with the Philips BDM4065UC but it wasn't available in the US at the time I was looking. Then I wanted the Samsung JU6700 because of the large thread here but decided against it since it's still a TV and I'm not planning to upgrade my GPU this year so I won't have the HDMI 2.0 to run it.

I ordered the Wasabi Mango after I finally sold my LG 34UM95 on craigslist but it arrived damaged. At the time, I took a change because many owners actually received damaged panels because of inadequate packaging to protect the sides of the monitor which is where most of the damage is occurring. I know a member on OCN actually had to go through 3 panels to get a good one. Plus freesync is currently useless for me since I have a Nvidia GPU.

Finally, since Green-sum was having a 2 day sale on the Crossover 404k and their packaging was much better, I decided to replace my Wasabi Mango for it. It's basically the same panel as the Philips BDM4065UC that I originally wanted but $300 cheaper and non-PWM. At that point, I couldn't resist on a good deal so I pulled the trigger.
Tell me what you think of it. I still have 30 days to return my Samsung 48JS9000

Last edited:

So, how is it?

Just ordered a 494k on Tuesday from green-sum. Already shipped out

Last edited:
The freesync thing sealed the deal for me. I don't have amd but I'm not against them either. Hoping the r9 nano can come in at a better price point/performance

Got it earlier today in perfect condition, it came in a wooden crate I had to spend some time opening. No dead pixels, barely any blb, already had freesync, supports 4096x2160 without custom resolutions, it's just awesome. Possibly the best purchase I've made for my pc, it's absolutely glorious.

Last edited:
Wasabi Mango uhd420 or Crossover 434k

Do they both have all the same specs then?

IPS panel
42"
Freesync
10bit
4:4:4 support
HDCP 2.2
HDMI 2.0
DP 1.2a
non-pwm (flicker free)

The Crossover 434K is discussed in [thread=1869702]this thread[/thread]. The advantage of the 434k over the UHD420 seems to be the factory color calibration.

About the 434K's FreeSync firmware, it has AFAIK not yet been released to the public, you need to request it via email.

Also the bezel. WM has a thicker silver/aluminum bezel whereas the crossover has a very thin black bezel you can barely tell is there. Which is the reason I chose crossover>WM

Almost got one 434k off eBay but I found a few threads about the screen just randomly cutting out. :(

They say it’s not that bad but also that the manufactures have not responded.

Back