FreeNAS vs. Windows 8.1/10 vs. Windows Server 2012 Essentials / Standard Version

Trojita

n00b
So I'm building a new PC and will have my old system with a 3770K sitting there with nothing to do. I wanted to turn it into a server that would facilitate with Storage, Plex, and other such utilities. What would be best for doing this stuff taking cost out of the factor? I can get a license for any of these. Should I alternatively run ESXi with FreeNAS handling the storage and Windows8.1/10 or 2012 handling the server functions like Plex?

first question, does the PC support ECC ram? if yes, are you willing to acquire ECC ram to facilitate this build or do you want to just use what you have?

That processor doesn't support VT-d (PCI Passthrough) so I would recommend running FreeNAS natively on the box instead. While it's not a requirement, it's strongly recommended that the OS have direct access to the drive controllers when using ZFS. Plex has a plugin for FreeNAS so you wouldn't be dead in the water if you went that route. ECC Memory also isn't supported by that processor which is also highly recommended.

you won't be able to use esxi and freenas with 3770k because it does not support VT-d (if you want to do it the proper way and have freenas see the physical drives).

Take a look at proxmox which supports ZFS locally and will give you a great web interface for managing virtual machines

Wow, I really appreciate these fast responses. I didn't realize all of this extra stuff was entailed. I do have another server, a Dell with a Xeon Processor from 2011, that I can utilize too. The only problem with it is that it is stuck with 4 SATA Ports (actually had 5 but one died so I'm using the one designated for the CD Drive), it's old technology wise, and I'm having a problem backing things up so that I can even put a new OS on it. It's running Windows Home Server and the drive extender makes everything confusing. I don't know if I can just get the data off the drives later or not since it's using that drive extender stuff that makes it look like all your data is coming from 1 repository.

Reclaim one of your SATA ports. how often do you use a CD drive these days? And if you really need one, buy a USB DVD Drive. That way you can make all of your towers CD/DVD-less and you can just hook up that USB DVD drive when you need it.

the dell with the xeon would probably be your best bet for this project. add a cheap dell h200 (or cheaper h310 if you dont mind doing a firmware flash) and you will have 8 SAS/SATA ports to do with what you want.

Reclaim one of your SATA ports. how often do you use a CD drive these days? And if you really need one, buy a USB DVD Drive. That way you can make all of your towers CD/DVD-less and you can just hook up that USB DVD drive when you need it.

I already did that.

(I actually had 5 but one died so I'm using the one designated for the CD Drive)

the dell with the xeon would probably be your best bet for this project. add a cheap dell h200 (or cheaper h310 if you dont mind doing a firmware flash) and you will have 8 SAS/SATA ports to do with what you want.

There isn't any room in the case lol. There's only 4 trays. I don't know how I would be able to expand it beyond getting a new case, but I know a lot of this dell shit is proprietary so I don't know how well that would work. The other thing that sucks about this thing is the internal gpu. It's a gpu with 8MB. It wouldn't be a problem since the thing isn't used for gaming, but you can't even get 16 bit colors using the desktop or a remote session. It wouldn't be a problem if I was using terminal, but plex looks mighty ugly in 8 bit.

sounds like it would be a prefect host box for either Proxmox. freenas wouldnt be bad too if 4 drives was enough storage for you. Proxmox can handle ZFS at its core now too, so depending on your exact goals Proxmox or Freenas or both should have you covered. if it has a 5.25 bay supermicro makes a 4x2.5 sas hdd bay so a sas hba could run the 4 built in slots and that adapter cage and you would have 8 total drives.

might be more $ than the older dell is worth though.

Back