Freenas and Mellanox Connectx-2

guc32

n00b
I read somewhere before that the Mellanox Connectx-2 10gb card didnt work on Freenas because of the FreeBSD version. Since the release of Freenas 9.10 that has FreeBSD 10.3, can anyone confirm the Mellanox works now?

I'm wondering about this as well. I have a FULL FreeBSD 10.2 install that I'm going to try with a connectx-2 card tonight.

So Ive asked this on Freenas forums already. Connectx-2 isnt supported at all. Mellanox said they only support the 3 and 4 and left out the 2.

I bought 2 of the Connectx-2 and yes indeed they dont work in Freenas. So only place I could use it is in Windows.

Chelsio S320 and T420-CR was recommended.

Intel x520 works too, but needs optimization to run at top speed.

ConnectX-2 isn't supported anymore for Windows either. It's too old. However, my understanding is that there are drivers that will work with it in Windows 10.

I have several ConnectX-3 dual port cards myself. Also one x520 single port. My systems are all Windows based.

ConnectX-2 isn't supported anymore for Windows either. It's too old. However, my understanding is that there are drivers that will work with it in Windows 10.

I have several ConnectX-3 dual port cards myself. Also one x520 single port. My systems are all Windows based.

Ah didnt know that since Im using Windows 10. Good thing for me. I would have pulled my hair out if this card didnt work too on my Windows machine. :D

If I recall what i read correctly the latest driver pack for Windows 10 works with the ConnectX-2 it just isn't officially supported / validated. So, I guess if you have a problem Mellanox isn't going to do anything and future driver revisions could break it. Otherwise, you can try the older official drivers for older Windows versions with Windows 10.

Yes it worked right away after installing the card. Im hoping future drivers wont stop it from working. Now awaiting the Chelsio card to come in to have 10gbe to Freenas. 10gbe just to my desktop is not fancy or useful enough.

I have them working fine in Linux (CentOS) Windows Server 2012 R2 and Hyper-V Server 2012

I have no idea about FreeNAS. But you can compile the driver on FreeBSD and copy the .ko file to FreeNAS.

All you need todo is this:
Code:
cd /usr/src/sys/modules/mlxen && make && make install && kldload mlxen

And to load the driver for each reboot you add the following to /boot/loader.conf
mlxen_load="YES"

Back