FreeBSD router + webserver?

laserlights2000

[H]ard|Gawd
Well, the plan was to just use this box for a FreeBSD router, and traffic shapper. However, it is a celeron 400, which is over kill for a router. Any reasons why I wouldn't run apache on it? Since this machine is on 24/7, I'm probably going to turn it into a bt downloader aswell. Should there be any issues with traffic shapping on the shapper. I need the downloads + webserver to be capped. Thanks in advance.

I run a webserver on a Celeron 400, too, but I run it on Gentoo. I use apache too, though. Shouldn't be any problems.

I ran a router on a P233, with Apache, ipfw, time server, etc for quite a while on FreeBSD and it was never a bottle neck. Just watch the load on the CPU/memory every now and again to see how it's doing.

I ran a 486-100 as an Apache-SSL, time, samba, and firewall for a while using both OpenBSD and FreeBSD. Eventually a buddy of mine gave me a P-200 when I helped him move (not as payment, he just didn't want to pack it and carry it with). It's running at my parents' house now, same stuff on FreeBSD. Sometimes it can get slow, but those are generally due to one of three reasons: the nic is a cheapo linksys freebie I had sitting around, the onboard IDE controllers don't support UDMA, and every Tuesday morning at 1:15am it cvsups and rebuilds world, kernel, and updates the portsdb. It works a bit better than the 486, yes.

My domain lives on a Celeron 400, 384M RAM, 10G and 30G IDE drives. The machine runs FreeBSD. Applications include apache/mod_ssl/php, MySQL, bind8, sendmail, Mailman, imap-uw (both parts, imapd and pop3d, but only with ssl) and ipf to make sure things that shouldn't be visible aren't. The box is used by about twenty people as their primary e-mail server, but I didn't start out wanting to do that.

Originally it was just my domain to handle my stuff, etc. Then, a friend goes, "hey, you've got a domain! Can you host a few pages for me?" And so it went...If it was just my personal stuff it wouldn't bug me so much that none of the drives are redundant or anything, but now that people actually use the machine I need to replace it with something that has some data redundancy.

A Celeron 400 should do nicely for what you want to do. :)

Thanks everyone, but there should be no issues with the fact that the machine that is supposed to regulate everything regulating itself? This machine also has to be in the traffic shaping ring.

Originally posted by Snugglebear
I ran a 486-100 as an Apache-SSL, time, samba, and firewall for a while using both OpenBSD and FreeBSD. Eventually a buddy of mine gave me a P-200 when I helped him move (not as payment, he just didn't want to pack it and carry it with). It's running at my parents' house now, same stuff on FreeBSD. Sometimes it can get slow, but those are generally due to one of three reasons: the nic is a cheapo linksys freebie I had sitting around, the onboard IDE controllers don't support UDMA, and every Tuesday morning at 1:15am it cvsups and rebuilds world, kernel, and updates the portsdb. It works a bit better than the 486, yes.

You have all that scripted? Very cool. You wouldn't mind sharing the script?

Back