FREE Windows Vista RC1 now available!

I don't think I will be doing this since you have to install the Akamai Download Manager?

You don't have to install the download manager. To the right are links to use your browser.

Baditude said:
You don't have to install the download manager. To the right are links to use your browser.

Ah Cool, Thanks.

I've got a spare 40Gig laying arround I think I will install this on.

THANKS!!

I'm guessing this OS will only work until they release the real Vista?

arrgon said:
I'm guessing this OS will only work until they release the real Vista?

From the programs site:

"Time-limited software
Windows Vista RC1 is time-limited, pre-release software that will expire on June 1, 2007."

Currently moving VERY fast for me. Pulling down around 1800KB/Sec

Windows Vista RC1 is available for participants of the Windows Vista Customer Preview Program. Please go to the Customer Preview Program website to register and receive a Product Key, which is required to install and activate the software.

Guess this answers my question.

Baditude said:
Windows Vista RC1 is available for participants of the Windows Vista Customer Preview Program. Please go to the Customer Preview Program website to register and receive a Product Key, which is required to install and activate the software.

Guess this answers my question.

Some Bad news Unless someone has a key to share;

The final major pre-release of Windows Vista—Release Candidate 1 (RC1)—is now available for priority access by Customer Preview Program (CPP) participants only. If you registered for this program in June, please look for a recent e-mail message from Microsoft (sent in early September) with information regarding RC1. If you are not registered but would like to receive Windows Vista RC1, the CPP will open to new participants in the coming weeks. Please check this site periodically for updates.

TheBluePill said:
Some Bad news Unless someone has a key to share;
Mr. Bill said:
so there is no reason to download this?
inscape01 said:
Uhhh, so if you have a CD key for the first public release will it work?
Stop. Halt. Desist.

Do NOT start this up again! All you do is not enter a key, and it will ask you a few times if you are REALLY sure you don't want to enter a key. Just answer yes and it goes.

Ah, I see. I thought it was only good for a short period of time if you did that. thanks.

uggggg finished the dl but the checksum didnt match up =((((((((((((((

ufot said:
uggggg finished the dl but the checksum didnt match up =((((((((((((((
Too bad man. I used the browser DL, not their DLing program, got a good file the first time. Checksum matched, installed quickly and flawlessly. Detected all my laptop's hardware, and everything functions correctly out of the box (which is saying a lot, usually XP really really really doesn't play nice with my Quadro until I install the whole drive suite).

I love Vista, runs smooth as silk and only found one program that didnt work for me for far. Its my main OS now. :)

To answer some of the questions from above, yes you need a key to activate it (run past the non-activation period). If you have a vaild key from the last public beta, it will also work for this release.

In fact I'm posting from the copy I referred to downloading above. :)

The install was much improved, and this has a much more finished feel to it. Liking it so far!

So it just finished but its saved at vista......................................iso.dlm how do i save it as just .iso and get rid of the dlm?

it says you need to register to receive a product key, where do you click to register for a key? I click the link on the download page for the customer preview program where is says I can register for a key, but I dont see anywhere? Can someone provide the link

thanks

EDIT: nevermind, it says the cpp will open to new customers in the coming weeks. Guess ill have to wait till then

Just downloaded pre-RC1 last week! Will install this when I get home from work

DL @ ~4MB/sec here at work (and that's slow for microsoft.com)

Tonight the Build Begins!!

I plan to purchase Vista in May when I re-build for DX10. One Question, will the Pro versions NOT have any Multimedia Capability? $400 for Ultimate seems a bit much, but If i have to..

So this isn't the public release, as in for everyone, this is the same one for the people in the program that have a key, as if you install this, you will be asked for a key, or if you skip it, I guess you have only 14 days.

tpfaff said:
So it just finished but its saved at vista......................................iso.dlm how do i save it as just .iso and get rid of the dlm?
that is an incomplete download, try it again.
my dl stalled@ 99% using the Akamai Download Manager, hit pause and restart and it was able to reconnect and finish

ok, I had a key for the last version of Vista, but I cant find it, is there a way to retrieve it on MS website somewhere? I had it installed for a while but went back to XP and can't find my Key.

Diablo2K said:
ok, I had a key for the last version of Vista, but I cant find it, is there a way to retrieve it on MS website somewhere? I had it installed for a while but went back to XP and can't find my Key.
If you still have vista installed you should be able to pull the key using Belarc Advisor.

R8DERHED5150 said:
From the programs site:

"Time-limited software
Windows Vista RC1 is time-limited, pre-release software that will expire on June 1, 2007."

What happens is you set your year to 1900?

An updated year change is already slated to resolve this.
I'll be very amazed is someone can really crack this baby and still recieve updates and bonus apps.

RC1 is kicking ass.
All games are rockin solid on my machine..
All games have the most recent updates applied.
BF2, BF2142 Beta2, GRAW, Unreal 2004, HL2/Ep1 (Steam games in general all work great),

Lovin Vista...and I already have my upgrade cash set aside.

Back