Free Windows Media Center ( windows 8 users )

dremic

Supreme [H]ardness
I spent about an hour trying to get DVDs to play on windows 8. super annoying. usually I use VLC for everything but for whatever reason it wouldnt play.

anyways windows 8 doesnt include a default program for this function they now sell windows media center as a separate package. however currently its free.. just wanted to let others know

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/feature-packs

Yes, this has been known for some time now. Also of note, you must own the retail Pro version of windows 8. You won't be able to activate the key otherwise.

I'm running 8 pro now, but decided on XBMC as an alternative. Its also free and play my DVD's perfectly. Its also very customizable.

But yes, its a good deal if you meet the requirements.

Not say that the OP is doing this, but I find it funny how a lot of the people complaining about not having a DVD codec installed were the ones that were saying that XP was still all that you need. It didn't come with a codec either.

I grabbed this last time, but I just want to warn anyone that doesn't know, the WTV format this software records kind of sucks if you want to stream it to other boxes. I much prefer NextPVR that records straight to .TS.

On a tangent here, but I still don't understand why Microsoft chose to separate this product from core windows.

Consumption of Media is the #1 use of computers. Media center would've been great for facilitating syncing of computer / phone/ xbox etc.

And then charge extra on top of it....:confused: Imagine if people had to pay $70 for iTunes

On a tangent here, but I still don't understand why Microsoft chose to separate this product from core windows.

Consumption of Media is the #1 use of computers. Media center would've been great for facilitating syncing of computer / phone/ xbox etc.

And then charge extra on top of it....:confused: Imagine if people had to pay $70 for iTunes

i dont give a shit about media center. i just want windows to play a damn dvd the fuck am i paying for hahah

sorry if this is old news. it was news to me though. found it by chance. glad I helped one other person find this though

They didn't want to pay codec licenses for computers without DVD drives.

I dont want to pay to upgrade to W8 pro. Theres not much difference between non-Pro and Pro to make me pay 70 for the upgrade. They give away a $10 piece of software to get people to spend $70 on an upgrade? Yea right... Anyways VLC works fine on my W8 Convertible, though my W8 convertible doesnt have a optical drive so I wouldnt know if VLC can or can't play DVDs lol.

Back