Free Vista Business / Office 2k7 pro (part deux)

I got my free Vista business today in the mail. I think it will soon be in the FS threads...

got mine today in the OC

yea I'm also wondering if anybody knows if this is like the OEM version where you can install it only on one computer. If so I guess I'll wait until I upgrade in the summer to install it :(

The Ch9 forum says those who went for both offers will be sent <b>after</b> they receive the W9. That sucks a lot for those who went for both - though they're supposed to arrive together. Anyhow, nothing here in CA.

-bZj

My copy apparently arrived at the house today (I'm at college, had it sent to my home)...sweet.

No, it's FULL retail license, you can reinstall and transfer to another computer as many times as you like.
However, if you opt into the Anytime"Downgrade" to Ultimate edition with $140, it's an OEM license and you are tied up to 1 computer only.

It says "Not for resale" right on the disk.

Still, lots of people will try to sell them :rolleyes:

For me though, I am happy to get Vista as I didnt have the funds to buy it at this time after my PC upgrade :)

No, it's FULL retail license, you can reinstall and transfer to another computer as many times as you like.
However, if you opt into the Anytime"Downgrade" to Ultimate edition with $140, it's an OEM license and you are tied up to 1 computer only.

err... the thing is a NOT FOR RESALE evaluation disc.
Look at the invoice that come along the package.

Those getting W-9s are surely pissed.
Also why is MS sending W-9s when the items are not for resale. It makes no sense.

This really sucks. :(

Woooo I got it installed and it runs like a champ... the only driver I need is one from auzentech, and those bastards say the ETA is sometime in Feb :(

sigh... no technoz for khanable for a while.

Also why is MS sending W-9s when the items are not for resale. It makes no sense.

It explained on the site....and is a fact...

If you give a gift worth over a certain amount (I think its like $600 - $900 (cant remember exactly off the top of my head) the giver has to file the taxes on it....so they need a W9. and Office + Vista was retail over the amount.

Its not MS, its an IRS rule.

So um, being lazy here, but.. what is the word? is it OEM or retail?

thanks~

Well....I'm going back to Windows XP Pro.
I installed Vista today and my soundblaster live! 5.1 doesn't have full driver support / no bass and treble control; the sound is flat and horrible. My ATI TV Wonder Pro doesn't work well either.

Without quality sound and ATI TV, vista is useless. :mad:
The bad thing is that Creative doesn't want to support the 'old' SB Live! sound cards. :(

Waah...

I'm 6 sound card generations past a Live! card
(Live!, Hercules Digifire, TB, Audigy, X-Mystique, Intel HDA Sigmatel)

Upgrade your hardware to something modern. I have a live! in what.. 1999 maybe?

Get a better tuner, too.

Vista is about 2007, not 1999.

Waah...

Get a better tuner, too.

I mean, where do we stop the "I am not gonna use it cause it doesn't support my hardware" line

Random Lamer said:
Dude, I can't install it on my western digital paradise 512K isa video card with Celeron 300A

Don't blame MICROSOFT since a THIRD PARTY has decided to stop supporting their products. I take the stand, personally, that ANY hardware natively supported by any operating system is a miracle and a gift.

well I want media center to stream recorded tv to my xbox360:)
Outside of that, what benefits are there to the media center?

XP Media Center and versions of Vista with media center can be used to receive and record shows off of DirectTV

I'd think that's the main benefit. I'd have to try it out with Vista RC2 before I forked over that much for ultimate. Funny thing is that it's not much more to upgrade from Home Premium to Ultimate and if you were smart/lucky enough to pick up a $40.00 copy of XP Home from Office Depot a few weeks ago, it'd probably cost you less than an upgrade copy of Business Premium (if you werne't getting it for free).

Question:
Someone said that doing the setup changes your license to OEM. Where does it say that? It was my understanding that your license remained retail if the original was retail.

Understandably so, their logic is most people have upgraded. Why don't you just get a cheap X-Fi? I'm pretty sure the prices on them have come down substantially.

Eh. I hav no desire to buy another SB. They fine for games, but sub par for music (alas my MB only has 2 PCI slots and there's no room for the SB and my m-audio 2496 :(). I'm just not inclined to buy yet another SB card, simply because Creative can't be bothered to update the drivers.

Waah...

Get a better tuner, too.

All the new sound cards are terrible when it comes to music. Live! is the best sounding, even though it is about six years old. I tried the X-Fi Music edition / Audigy 4, they were bad. All Creative has to do is somehow enable bass/treble control and I will be happy, but they no longer are supporting SB Live! :mad: (X-Fi Extreme Gamer might be good, but $150+)

The TV tuner (TV Wonder Pro), according to AMD/ATI is vista compatible; but there is no software for it. :mad:

Ok folks - lets clear a few things up. It IS a retail version but with a NFR (Not for Resale) restriction. Most of the software MS gives away from free has always been this way. Just because you cannot resell it does not mean it's worthless :rolleyes: That's why if you got both you still get a W9. It's still a fully functional legitimate full version of the software that you would have otherwise had to pay for. That's some definite value there and I certianly appreciate the opportunity to get it for free. You will not catch me complaining about a freebie. MS simply is trying to prevent you from profiting on their generosity which I am okay with. If you choose to use the Anytime Upgrade feature and pay to upgrade your copy to Ultimate then your license will convert to an OEM license which (always has been) once sold and installed can no longer be moved to another machine. One intreresting bit though is once it is an OEM version then you CAN sell it as long as you are selling it with the machine it was originally sold on.

We will still have to see on the version of Office if the license has a NFR restriction. NFR means it cannot be sold, period, not with hardware, not at all. It's a freebie and can legally only be given away or destroyed, or in this particular case, upgraded to Ultimate and apparently converted to an OEM license. I'm not 100% sure however if the NFR restriction might somehow legally follow it even once upgraded.

If you choose to use the Anytime Upgrade feature and pay to upgrade your copy to Ultimate then your license will convert to an OEM license which (always has been) once sold and installed can no longer be moved to another machine.

I've seen this factoid mentioned more than once, however, I can find nothing @ microsoft that confirms this statement.

Microsoft said:
Welcome to Windows Vista where the "Wow" starts now.

In the January Microsoft Action Pack Subscription, you received your copies of Windows Vista Business. While we're sure you'll enjoy its many powerful business features we also wanted to let you know that you can easily upgrade from Windows Vista Business to Windows Vista Ultimate, using Windows Anytime Upgrade.

If you have reached this page it means you are looking to upgrade to Windows Vista Ultimate, and we're happy to let you know that as of January 30, 2007, you can revisit this link to make the move from Business to Ultimate for only $139 US.

Windows Anytime Upgrade is a convenient and affordable way to enhance your Windows Vista experience easily from the comfort of your home or office. Purchasing your upgrade license online is easy and will provide you with the opportunity to experience how to use the new Windows Anytime Upgrade technology to upgrade your customers. Plus with Windows Vista Ultimate, you'll have get the most complete Windows Vista edition for work, play, and everything in between.

I've seen this factoid mentioned more than once, however, I can find nothing @ microsoft that confirms this statement.

[/color]

Good point - a lot of things on Vista right now are still a bit fuzzy. I also have not seen any definite confirmation of this. We probably will not know for certain until after the 30th and someone actually upgrades their copy.

Recieved mine yesterday, shame it didn't come in a DVD case like Windows XP x64 did from the 32/64 exchange they had.

but nice none the less

so they are arriving in Massachusetts's.

Recieved mine yesterday, shame it didn't come in a DVD case like Windows XP x64 did from the 32/64 exchange they had.

but nice none the less

so they are arriving in Massachusetts's.

You know... You just reminded me that I have the cases from Beta 2 and RC1. :)

I got mine on tuesday too.cool.

I installed mine and forgot that it's set to put the machine to sleep after an hour as default, so I woke up this morning with a "CRAP! This cold made the power go out." So I hit the power button and it woke up and I went "D'oh!"

I got my copy on the 25th here in Michigan.
Will my key work on my 2 pcs in my house or did Microsoft say it only works on 1?

To bad I had to send in my motherboard for RMA tuesday so I will have to wait till I get that back or buy a newer 939 board.

I got my copy on the 25th here in Michigan.
Will my key work on my 2 pcs in my house or did Microsoft say it only works on 1?.
As mentioned before, it's an OEM copy...so that means one computer.

EDIT: Got mine in Philadelphia just now!

Back