Free Treo 650 in need of repairs... Worth fixing?

aNtHrAx323

2[H]4U
A buddy of mine rolled an ATV while carrying his Treo 650 and ended up cracking the screen... So, after buying a new one, he gave it to me. The case is damned near flawless and it still works, but the right side of the screen is, well, cracked (thereby totally botching the LCD element on that side). Palm quoted me $179 to fix it... Think it's worth it? I have a Nokia 6820 right now, and really, really need an organizer, so this may be a stupid question. What would you do in this situation? Is it worth risking getting a refurbished device in return?

179 to fix doesn't seem that bad. You may be able to find the screen cheaper but I would let them do it.

swatbat said:
179 to fix doesn't seem that bad. You may be able to find the screen cheaper but I would let them do it.
I've worked on electronics all my life and wanted to go with simply finding a screen and installing it myself, however, I can't find the screen alone... Any recommendations on where I could find one? It's outside of warranty anyway.

Well I would agree with the pevious posters. $179 is not too bad a price to get it fixed. I'd say it's worth it.

I'm not sure where you could get a replacemnt LCD/Digitizer though. I'd get it fixed. I bet you'll like it. I've got a Palm PDA and it's great. Having a cellphone built into the same device is pretty cool.

Yeah... I think it'll be worth it. Now that I'm moving to 2nd shift at Rackspace this coming Sunday, I'm booked for the next 2 weeks doing freelance repair on the side (appts cut off at 1:00 since I have to be at work by 2), so rather than trying to keep up with dozens of Post-It notes, I think it'll be nice to have my IMAP store pulled straight from my phone as well as a full-on organizer. Sorry for the stupid question :D

I would have to consider if the Treo 650 makes for a decent phone, as well. I say that because our company switched most of our staff over to those phones on Cingular and now I can barely understand them when they call me on my good ol' Sanyo 4900 on Sprint. After talking with the other guys, they say it's a nice PDA and a crappy phone. Just my $0.02

Back