Free simple c/c++ / pascal compiler

Elf_Boy

2[H]4U
Been some years since I have coded.

Looking for a real simple compiler/editor, one where I can start typing away and hit compile/run.

Hoping I dont need to go so far back as UCSD Pascal on my apple 2 to find something clean and easy.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Last edited:
Was trying to find the one I used in high school, but couldn't find it. It was very basic, though, so probably a good thing.

Search "cpp compilers" and you should find a few common ones.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/turbopascal-wdb/ was the first hit on duck duck go. If you want pascal but more newer, maybe Delphi community edition https://www.embarcadero.com/products/delphi/starter/free-download

I don't use either of these, but either one is probably a bit less fiddly than getting your Apple II running (he says, while sitting next to his Apple IIe).
Thanks,

Have an //c running and just got a //gs to hdmi adapter in the mail today. Gonna put in the 8mghz CP/M co processor at the same time.

Found a C compiler for Apple 2 - prob should stick to windows for C though.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/turbopascal-wdb/ was the first hit on duck duck go. If you want pascal but more newer, maybe Delphi community edition https://www.embarcadero.com/products/delphi/starter/free-download

I don't use either of these, but either one is probably a bit less fiddly than getting your Apple II running (he says, while sitting next to his Apple IIe).
Just loaded up Turbo Pascal.
This is the compiler I learned on back in 1986 along with the UCSD one for my apple 2.
Now it's just a matter of remembering, right?

Maybe I'll stick with c++

Are you just plinking around, or is there a specific niche need for Pascal?

Are you just plinking around, or is there a specific niche need for Pascal?
Kinda want to get back into some coding - nothing serious, so ya, more playing around.

Only reason I am thinking Pascal is I've taken a class and have a book someone.

I downloaded Visual Studio and it's like, errrr what do I do?

Just wana type code :)

You can write some c# or visual basic, start with a console application. I think you can do c and c++ too with visual studio. VS code might be easier to start off with though since it's lighter and more of an editor than a fully fledged ide like visual studio

You can try python which is easy to pick up and go with, Pycharm community as an ide is good and free. plenty of learning tools available. Its popular as shit.

Might be useful though to get your bearings with something youre more familiar with syntactically like Pascal before moving to a new language. I can't speak about Pascal cause I'm 37 and that shits older than I am. Farthest I can go back and still be proficient would be ANSI c

You can write some c# or visual basic, start with a console application. I think you can do c and c++ too with visual studio. VS code might be easier to start off with though since it's lighter and more of an editor than a fully fledged ide like visual studio

You can try python which is easy to pick up and go with, Pycharm community as an ide is good and free. plenty of learning tools available. Its popular as shit.

Might be useful though to get your bearings with something youre more familiar with syntactically like Pascal before moving to a new language. I can't speak about Pascal cause I'm 37 and that shits older than I am. Farthest I can go back and still be proficient would be ANSI c
Pascal is one of the new languages I know :)

My first is Applesoft Basic - did you know it was developed by Microsoft?
Then I learned a little Fortran. Pascal, and about 15 years ago an intro to c class.

So ya old shit. :) Either me or the language - either way.

Pascal is kinda like basic - built to teach good programming habits and highly structured which is both good and annoying.

Just downloaded VS Code and grabbed the C++ and python extentions. Thanks!!

You should learn Haskell. Not because it's easy or especially useful outside it's niche, but just because. :p

I downloaded Visual Studio and it's like, errrr what do I do?

Just wana type code :)
If it is the 2019 version once installed and launched click

Create a new project in the get started section.

In the template section search for C++ than empty proiect if you want to go raw or pick consol app, it will be an little program that print hello world into the console that you just have to add your own code into.

VS Code suggestion is a good one, you do not necessarily want Visual Studio giant debugging and other ability, vs code do sound like what you want.

you will find C++ to be quite similar to old Pascal, pseudocode for it look like pascal code (probably why it was a good teaching code to use, in my city it was quite popular to teach pascal/delphi even when it was not popular in the field)

Back