Free ram deal with 7xxx back at MicroCenter

https://www.microcenter.com/site/content/bundle-and-save.aspx

I was going to start a 7800x3D build but when I see this deal I'm very tempted.

My last build was a 5820k almost a decade now, so I'd have to buy everything new (just bought a 990 Pro SSD). I'm sort of conflicted when I see this.
Really depends on how you value the 7800x3d, how much you game and how much you are willing to depend on software to even see benefits from the chip in gaming.

I personally am not installing xbox game bar bs just to use basic functions of a cpu. Not popular but just my opinion. When you get too many dependencies involved, what’s the benefit? And you risk something breaking in the future making the cpu less performing than other options.

Anyways I went with a 7950x non 3D and have been extremely happy with my setup.

Really depends on how you value the 7800x3d, how much you game and how much you are willing to depend on software to even see benefits from the chip in gaming.

I personally am not installing xbox game bar bs just to use basic functions of a cpu. Not popular but just my opinion. When you get too many dependencies involved, what’s the benefit? And you risk something breaking in the future making the cpu less performing than other options.

I was thinking the free ram with the 7950x negates the price difference with a 7800x3D+RAM, and a 7950x (non 3D) should be more than fast enough for 4k/144Hz gaming (whenever I decide to upgrade my GPU- have 2080Ti now). I'm on the fence.

Can you air cool a 7950x?

https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-7-7800x3d-3d-v-cache-cpu-shines-in-linux-compared-to-windows-11/

BTW- I just saw this which is pretty interesting.

It appears that the Xbox game bar is really only needed to tell the 7900x3D and 7950x3D which CCD to use (one CCD has the 3D cache and the other CCD has higher clocks). The 7800x3D only has one CCD so games/applications won't need to make that distinction.

It appears that the Xbox game bar is really only needed to tell the 7900x3D and 7950x3D which CCD to use (one CCD has the 3D cache and the other CCD has higher clocks). The 7800x3D only has one CCD so games/applications won't need to make that distinction.
I recently read the inquiry on how these chips behave natively in Linux. Sans Andy ms software. It appears even the 7800x3d was missing some chops when compared to it running in windows with the additional software. I don’t use Linux much, and I don’t profess to knowing the specifics. I do know of the chips the 7800x3d was the most beneficial because it had the single ccd that did not need the schedulers help in deciding where to prioritize threads.

In the end, if a feature isn’t generally supported by all main software, I am not interested. I’ve seen way too many things go by the wayside and get abandoned after a year or two because of dependencies.

Now, if the 3D cache is still around, effective, and less dependent in the few generations, I think I’d be fast to finally adopt it. Hopefully that is the case.

But in context of this thread, if I had a Microcenter nearby, I’d be considering a 7900x build.

I personally started out on a 7900x bundle build. That deal is what tipped me into AM5.

I was thinking the free ram with the 7950x negates the price difference with a 7800x3D+RAM, and a 7950x (non 3D) should be more than fast enough for 4k/144Hz gaming (whenever I decide to upgrade my GPU- have 2080Ti now). I'm on the fence.

Can you air cool a 7950x?

https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-7-7800x3d-3d-v-cache-cpu-shines-in-linux-compared-to-windows-11/

BTW- I just saw this which is pretty interesting.

AIr cool yes.. I'm running a DeepCool 620 on a 7950x3d, but it was cooling the higher TDP 7950x before that fine.

Back