FREE physx games actualy worth playing.

ghost6303

2[H]4U
it may not be breaking news but theres no posts here about it yet. both Warmonger Operation: Downtown Destruction and Cellfactor: Revolution are slated to be released within the next weeks/month for FREE. this should definately entice people into buying a physx card, for $160 you get G.R.A.W. (bundled), cellfactor and warmonger (although i was dissappointed by graw, thats not the point :p ) cellfactor and warmonger alone would warrent the purchase, graw is more of a 'bonus' game for me atleast, some people do like it.

these games, although not beta versions at all, are still kind of a proof of concept as physx power is not yet fully realized.
also, i dont have any link to it, but i read that these games can not be played without a physx card (like the cellfactor demo could be run without a card with a command line switch) this will not be possible. giving people more incentive to buy a card, which is kind of a good strategy vs. droping the price of the card and making people pay for the games, people dont like to pay for something twice.

http://www.mpogd.com/news/?ID=2490
among other places

we are only a few weeks away from people being able to say "i actualy WOULD recomend buying a physx card" instead of "why the hell would you ever waste your money on that?!"
(and yes i actualy do have a physx card so i vaguely know what im talking about)

The Cellfactor and Warmonger games aren't going to be worth buying a physx card for, as they're not full-fledged games. They're minigames.

You can play cellfactor right now without a physx card, so whats the point of buying one?

The Cellfactor and Warmonger games aren't going to be worth buying a physx card for, as they're not full-fledged games. They're minigames.

You do realize theres a full version of the game coming out.. right?

To my knowledge, it isnt free either. Its a normal purchasable game. Apparently the full fledged version is going to have more physics bumping around than the tech demo too.

If nothing else the PhysX card is going to support both Cellfactor and Warmonger (which are both quite neat) and the new Unreal Tourney. Fallen Earth and Warhammer online apparently use them too, which are both games I'm interested in. Besides, I know at least I upgrade my computer every year or two, if my card is useless, then oh well. All the rest of my hardware is usually worthless by then anyway. After a few years time if the PhysX card has be phased out, I'll just upgrade to a new board accordingly and go dual PCIE via ATI-esque physics.

both Warmonger Operation: Downtown Destruction and Cellfactor: Revolution are slated to be released within the next weeks/month for FREE.
First of all, neither of those games is going to be free. Games of that calibre cost millions, if not tens of millions, to develop, and no one forks over that kind of money unless they plan on seeing it come back with interest.

Second, as far as I can tell Warmonger was only announced three months ago. The chances of seeing it hit shelves within a month are slim, to say the least.

...i dont have any link to it, but i read that these games can not be played without a physx card
They'd have to be out of their fucking minds to try something like this. No one trying to recoup ten million dollars in development costs is going to willingly eliminate 99% of their target demographic with such a requirement. Even if the PhysX card does take off, we won't be seeing a commercial PhysX-only product for years to come.

EDIT: I checked out the developer's site, and it seems you're right. Warmonger will be free (meaning PhysX-only is a distinct possibility, since they're flushing the same amount of money down the toilet either way), and they claim it's nearly done. At this point, given the likely budget and development timeframe, I'm doubting it'll be up to the standard of a full commercial product. I'm also wondering how the hell they can afford it - at the very least, they've got a UE3 licence to pay for. My best guess is that Ageia is footing the bill (a la CellFactor: Combat Training, IIRC).

I have a PPU and I dont regret getting one, Im running it with a 8800GTS 320mb and I get awesome frame rates playing the cellfactor demo. Its a whole new ball game - no hiding behind walls, shipping crates, etc. I love it.

The game that is going to get released is Cellfactor: Combat Training released in May. (this might be a mistake - It might be CellFactor: Revolution)

Warmonger, Infernal, UT3, will utilize the PPU. Warmonger will be the one to watch out for!!
Its going to be great for those campers behind walls.:p

So far as I know. Cellfactor will be a full but bargain bin retail game. What can be done in a year or so. 5 levels were some of them need the PPU. Certenly not a class AAA title but a uniek one, with lot's off Physcs. As long as the gameplay is oke with PhysX enhancements. It coulbe fun.
And possible it might be moddable. :) Reality engine. With reality Builder.

Warmonger is a Full game as a prototype to test Physics for later MMO Projects from those dev's. And it's free.
Wonder if it comes with Mod tools to?
See it as a massive PhysX try-out. A investment for there later projects. With a public release of such fullgame they get a lot feedback. Wich will do there next thing very good.
Like Prototyping research. But then taking it large. As large like a fullgame.

Keep in mind the time we hear about those games it could be near the end of produktion.
UT2007 is a PhysX title already years in produktion, this would be there last year.
Don't know wenn the started Warmonger but it could be also a year or more in produktion.
I don't expect the game is loaded with maps but more in the order of Cellfactor revolution.
Both near completion in crunshin time. Could be a few months.

We'ill see.

They'd have to be out of their fucking minds to try something like this. No one trying to recoup ten million dollars in development costs is going to willingly eliminate 99% of their target demographic with such a requirement.

Well, I don't have a physx card and I played the game just fine. The actual physics are pretty good, but the game itself is really boring.

As for Cellfactor CT. Blowing a few boxes around is no problem even for CPU. But Cloths and Fluids are more Physical stressing and needs PPU Power. CellFactor revolution would bring more Physics to Cellfactor so it would stress PPU even more.

Did you have a High-end CPU or something close heavy OC'ed. Or just forgot to mentions that Cloths and fluids where off?

The purpous off Warmonger is to experiment to get feedback out of a larger gamers pool then Alpha or beta testers. It's a choice to the dev's to push the envelop to do something uniek. And use for it big MMO Project. It's like researching options and doablity.

Problem is bitching on Graw effect Physics only. Well with that choice came: no online problems no PPU requierment. It's just for eyecandy. It will be a very common choice! PPU will be optional reaching a large audience. At the cost of taking your hardware potentonal to the max.

And just wenn some do take PhysX to it full potention they bitch about needing a PPU. Well with it comes the online or lan load problems. and on top off that the gameplay impact off non PPU vs PPU payers. It's not mergable. So the fact is wenn you want PhysX or even HavokFX to the max with some very heavy Physic gameplay features like full scale game world wide destructable enviorment, the game will requier powerfull Hardware dedicated Physics Hardware. To make it happen.
That's what makes that possible. Without it that gameplay is not doable.

The uniek feature is Destructable envoirment you can't mix non ppu player within such games because they lack the power to be the game be destructable for there system. It would be static enviorment instead or on a much smaller scale. And with out Destructableness it would be just a common FPS. Wich falls out of this experimental full game goal. So a NonPPU Server only reduces the gameplay on such impact that it is a different game. gameplay wise.

Well the choice is yours there is no middleway.
I wouldn't not say no to effect Physics. but embrace gameplay Physics.

Wenn other gameDev's get a try on this experiment. They might open there eye and maybe more Dev's are willing to put Gameplay hardware accelerated Physics in there games. If the Public react possitive and more people, then now, are willing to buy this hadrware for it. Others Dev's see it viable.
It like the first sheap wo take the risk and jump over the dam.

The chicken egg problem and every thing or choice has it's pro's and con's.

Dev's need always need to make a lot of choices big and small.

Back