Free Media Converter, DVD Ripper

http://handbrake.fr/
(Mac & PC)

It doesn't decrypt the disk though, you will need something like AnyDVD running in the background for that.

Yeah, not good enough then. I want something that in 5 steps or less, without having to jump through hoops, I can slap in my disk, double click on the ripping app, select my output folder and media type, and click "rip". Advanced options allowing me to select the quality of the audio, video, bitrate, etc are optional.

AnyDVD decrypts on the fly. It doesn't add any additional steps.

Using this now, and holy hell it's slow after getting used to ATI's video converter. Surprisingly it does all use all four cores. But they're all right at %35. Slick software UI, but it just doesn't do it for me.

I imagine I'll find use for it sometime though, with the DVD ripping.

AnyDVD starts at around $43 USD (at this moment). Where exactly are you getting your information from?

With 20% off (right on their website) it's about $67. Pre-discount is about $84. HD ver is $143, $114 after discount. Where's $43?

This program seems kinda slow at converting. For a good free ripping and decoding program I like HD Decrypter which is part of dvdfab. HDdecrypter is free to use and I have never had a dvd it would not rip. it has a easy to use UI with options for full dvd or main movie as well as check boxes to get rid of subtitles and extra sound options that are not needed. I still use dvdshrink to shrink movies to single layer disk size when applicable and then use hd decrypter agian to burn those backup movies from file to disk. I use other free programs for converting to psp or my droid.

No. It isn't. Its old as sin and a long dead project. I used it for about 2 months before I started hitting DVD's it would not work with. Turned to AnyDVD.
Oh well. I haven't come across any DVDs yet that it couldn't decrypt and rip.

Yeah, not good enough then. I want something that in 5 steps or less, without having to jump through hoops, I can slap in my disk, double click on the ripping app, select my output folder and media type, and click "rip". Advanced options allowing me to select the quality of the audio, video, bitrate, etc are optional.
Sit down, and write a letter to your congress critter, berate them for being a bitch of entertainment business, and also forcing us all to be their bitch as well. Don't use a word processor for the final letter; hand write it. Hand written letters usually gets more attention.

Back