Free linux based VPN concentrator

Red Squirrel

[H]F Junkie
Anyone know of a good Linux based app/OS that basically acts as a VPN concentrator? I want to be able to create VPN accounts and give them granular access to only certain IP / Ports. I'm not too fussy about the authentication method, but a standard Linux user would be great.

Anyone know of something like this? I currently use OpenVPN but I'd like to get more granular and be able to give accesss to only parts of my network to various users. This is a home based network. I'd be using this for varous development projects where I may want to give someone access to a certain dev server through a VPN without them being able to access the rest of the network. Technically they could ssh into said server then go to another part but that's a whole other story, and I have other means to secure that.

At work we have a Uroam, which is pretty cool, I'm looking for something like this, but free (does not need to be *AS* advanced, but you know). I don't care about web based access stuff, just want it to use a simple enough client where the user enters the server, user, and password.

Will PFSense do what you want?

Also a great open source SSL VPN product was "SSL Explorer"...but a year or two ago Barracuda bought up that project and it's no longer free. However...a fork of it was continued under the name "Adito". Do a little Google 'n Sourceforge search. I ran SSL Explorer at our office for a while, was a cool product...pretty much clientless..done via browser.

Thanks I'll google that and see what I find.

I also noticed openVPN has went to a $$$ based app now, so guess it's good I'm trying to get off it. It is a pain to setup anyway. Need to give certificates and stuff to the user, edit config file and so on.

OpenVPN's Access Server is very good I feel. I use it on Linux Mint (Ubuntu flavor) and I have had few problems and they have a brand new client utility.

However, I never go beyond the 2 simultaneous users, so I haven't had to pay.

I was just talking with a friend about home VPN and he uses a Linksys router that has VPN built in and uses the Cisco client. He likes it a lot.

Back