Free Google Netbook! (cr-48)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm. I do wonder if anyone formatted and installed windows on one...
Really would like to see if anyone has figured a way out to dual boot this, to see apples to apples speed and stability differences between the OSes.
http://www.google.com/chromeos/pilot-program-applynow.html - now states it is over - in case some came to the party late... too late.
Wouldn't an apples to apples comparison be more like dual booting with another popular version of Linux instead to see how they compare? But it would be interesting to see windows on it, lol.

Well, Jerkson and SeaFoam, you just got a poster, who posted freebies all the time (9+ years of it, no less) angry enough to quit. Thanks. Really, thanks, you just cost those who like freebies a lot here. Her posts were quite good, and useful.

Being jerks over the internet, how manly.

So long TTP, these two did not know you, or your contributions, here. We will have less for their actions.

I simply called her out on the fact that she wasn't going to use the netbook (2 of them) and that people that would be useful to the program won't get to now. I would have left it but she attacked me so if that single rebuttal was enough to make her QQ and quit she wasn't [H] in the first place.

Anyways, I hope that since they are shipping these again I get one. Raven hit it on the head, my laptop doesn't have the battery life to use in class without a plug which unfortunately dictates where I sit. It would be really awesome to not have to lug all that crap with me, plus my laptop is massive.

I am at work today ( i work in IT at the local community college) and there is a work study sitting in the front playing on this black laptop. Bastard got one of the cr-48. i felt like hitting him and running off with the laptop!!!

he said he signed up once when they first announced it as a student and he got it a week later. I signed up with ever email address i have (2 student gmails from 2 different schools and 3 gmails and 1 hotmail) and got nothing. what shit luck i have....

Let's round up all the people who got one and put them in internment camps and steal their Cr-48s :p

Looks like they just closed that within the past few hours. I filled out an application earlier this afternoon and it went through fine.

Just wanted to let some of you know, if you go to settings -> about Chrome OS -> More Info at the top you have the option of switching between Beta and Development channels. I switched to Development and did the update and am now running Chrome 10 as opposed to Beta's "current version" of 8. Flash performance got a nice boost. The 480p setting on youtube with the enlarged screen was smooth in the videos I just tried (360p used to show minor skipping, though was still watchable imo). Canabalt (one of the games I initially tried, but found to be unplayable) still has some minor slow downs when a lot is going on but is very playable now and easily achieved a distance of over 3000m (was lucky to get 2k before). Haven't been using it for too long now, but stability wise it seems just as stable as when I was on 8.

Edit: Don't know if this is really fixed or not, but audio quality also seems to be better. Haven't been getting the random garbled mess that would happen from time to time (could happen anytime there was sound playing) nor am I getting the occasional decreased sound quality which was a regular issue when using grooveshark/stereomood/pandora.

Last edited:
Annnd an update to what I mentioned earlier. Flash has been getting buggy. Can't get flash objects to load at all at times. Sometimes youtube just sits at there with a black box. Had it fail while browsing newegg also. Tried to look at the enlarged pictures of a gpu and they wouldn't load, just sat there with a blank space. Trying to figure out a resolution, but I think I just need to restart.

Annnd an update to what I mentioned earlier. Flash has been getting buggy. Can't get flash objects to load at all at times. Sometimes youtube just sits at there with a black box. Had it fail while browsing newegg also. Tried to look at the enlarged pictures of a gpu and they wouldn't load, just sat there with a blank space. Trying to figure out a resolution, but I think I just need to restart.

It will crash.a.lot.

I tried the beta and dev channels, and it crashes often on both.

I was willing to sell my primary notebook and use the cr-48 fulltime, but the atom processor just can't keep up with basic web surfing. Which is just sad.

Also, touchpad is horrribbblleee.

It will crash.a.lot.

I tried the beta and dev channels, and it crashes often on both.

I was willing to sell my primary notebook and use the cr-48 fulltime, but the atom processor just can't keep up with basic web surfing. Which is just sad.

Also, touchpad is horrribbblleee.

really, how does a 1.66ghz cpu with 2gb of ddr3 suck this much at just web browsing? that touch pad is god awful, as you mentioned. what im surprised that no one has complained about is the viewing angles. its a tiny tiny screen, yet i cant get a single solid color across the screen. no matter the angle.

hulu is even worse when trying to watch videos... 420 full screen is just god awful. with that set, in the dev mode, it is noticeably improved and almost fluid... but then theres that whole crashing issue.

i doubt they have the funds to hook everyone up with powerhouse notebooks, probably just bare minimum to function the OS

Hopefully at least someone in my family get one. Would be nice as it would actually get used. Either way good luck to everyone who may get it and congratulations to those who already have.

is it just me, or does this thing seem to burn through battery? i had this thing fully charged last night and used it for about 40 mins, then closed the lid. this afternoon when i opened it, it was down to 66%.

is it just me, or does this thing seem to burn through battery? i had this thing fully charged last night and used it for about 40 mins, then closed the lid. this afternoon when i opened it, it was down to 66%.

Uh...Mine seems to last forever...I've never had it dip down farther then 30%(At least not unless it was on purpose, I read that the remaining time doesn't work unless you get it way down first)
Mine lasts about the full 6-8 hours it says, closing it doesn't change that.

Did they ship the last of this batch? I haven't heard of anyone receiving one in a few days, I think we may be in for another long hiatus :( If you have received one today or yesterday please report :]

Had mine fully charged this morning when I left for school at around 545am. Used it a bit on the train on the way to school and a few times in between and during class. Still at 89% with wifi and 3g enabled. My battery hardly drains if I leave it closed without plugging it in.

This weekend Ive seen like 10 on craigslist so I think maybe they shipped some last week.

the existence of this thread, and the lack of the existence of my cr-48 is FUCKING ANNOYING

never got one :(
actually find it extremely annoying that people are actually selling them... though I guess it's to be expected.
I'm assuming Google's done with sending these out?

It's too bad google didn't require you to send these back then ship it back to you, it would help with people selling them!

It's too bad google didn't require you to send these back then ship it back to you, it would help with people selling them!

Yeah, never thought they would be totally 'free'. There are a shit load on eBay. I'm still hoping they haven't sent out the second batch yet. A friend said he received the email that he got several times saying he would get one, but still hasn't so I think they haven't sent out the second batch.

-Xzi

Yeah, never thought they would be totally 'free'. There are a shit load on eBay. I'm still hoping they haven't sent out the second batch yet. A friend said he received the email that he got several times saying he would get one, but still hasn't so I think they haven't sent out the second batch.

-Xzi

Yeah, it pisses me off that people sign up for this just to make money not help the program when those of us who would use the PCs to help don't get picked :(

never got one :(
actually find it extremely annoying that people are actually selling them... though I guess it's to be expected.
I'm assuming Google's done with sending these out?

Same here, and the people that brag about getting multiples and not even bothering to use them.

I use mine a lot. I don't have a shitty viewing angle screen (did they put out different versions?) and my touch pad, while different, is pretty nice. I like the fact that I can charge it up and use it for days without charging it again.

Would I buy one? Yea, if the price was low enough.. $150 to $200. Anything more, and I would just go with a $500 Windows Laptop.

The Verizon data... I can burn through that in a couple of hours so I tether my Rooted Android Hero with wired tether (wireless tether doesn't work since it's a ad-hoc network).
http://code.google.com/p/android-wired-tether/

One of my favorite things is to stream my TV tuner from home to it with Pinnacle DistanTV Server.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back