Free Fingerprint Scanner (requires some creativity)

elguapo

Limp Gawd
If you are good enough at convincing people that you are someone you're not, then this is probably for you.

http://www.digitalpersona.com/banne...ignCodeID=A132800010&campaignCode=DP Web Site

You can get a free digital fingerprint scanner for your computer if you can convince them that either you are an infulential person in some company (100+ employees), or that you are some end user that they want as a customer. You can read all about all the restrictions and everything on the site above too.

I just filled out the form and sent it. I will try to post updates on the hoops they make me jump through. My hope is that I can get away with this if enough people bog them down...

Enjoy

I gave it a shot. I will let everyone know what process they take.

my parents own a business with about 30 employes, i wonder if that is close enough :D

To bad they don't have a box explaing how you'd use it. I'm an IT consultant at University of Maine and we are always looking to improve the clusters....That and I'd like to use it.

too bad its only an eval unit...i'm sure they will want it back or its free "for a limited time use"....

i wonder if it works on windows NT or if it can be hooked up to multiple machines at the same time so i dont need one for each server... either way i signed up.

no reply, no email, nothing back from them yet, so im still hopeful....

If you click on the picture of the unit, it gives more details:

All requests will be qualified by DigitalPersona:

1. Limited to IT Security Professionals Only
2. Company must be listed on Dun and Bradstreet or Hoover's
3. Minimum staff of 100 employees or more
4. Limit 1 free DigitalPersona Pro per company
5. All requests are subject to approval

ronenvelarde said:
i wonder if it works on windows NT or if it can be hooked up to multiple machines at the same time so i dont need one for each server... either way i signed up.

" Operating System Compatibility: Windows® XP, 2003, 2000, Me

Server software is available for larger organizations desiring server based
authentication control through Microsoft® Active Directory.
(Call 877-378-2744 for more information) "

TheCowOfNow said:
I hate it when they make you work for it.

well i guess the best things in life aren't *really* free...just think though if you get it, then it will be totally awesome!

well they still havent contacted me and contested my 'company' so i dont know what that emans. i did get the link to the free whitepaper on the scanner though...

maybe another couple weeks :rolleyes:

I got called yesterday had a nice talk with the guy getting one unit in a few weeks

a lady just called me about it, we b.s'ed a little bit about it and she said shed send mine out today :D

but then she said shed follow up with me in 2 weeks :(

i still havent gotten anything from anybody, other than the whitepaper link.

Same here. No word at all, not even an email saying it was rejected.

All I hear is silence . . .

i bet theyll keep following up with us and eventually ask for it back

I spoke to someone today and he said he'll ship it out to me so i should get it next week. I asked if I had to return it after a period of time and he said no. But i'm willing to bet they'll follow up after a period of time and ask if we've made a decision on using their product.

i just got mine today. looks pretty cool, it is as small as they said it was. im hoping they dont send me a bill for it.

but, because this is an "evaluation" i think ill probobly end up having to send it back.

Got a call few mins agao. I just signed up for this last night. I BSed so well that they want to send out a guy to help set it up and make sure it works well. lol They are also giving me another call back today from the sales guy. ARG

At least he says mine is in the mail. I wont be answering my phone for a while =)

They say its a $150 value and CompUSA sells it for $50? I guess that $150 value claim comes from the claim that it takes $150 per employee per year on password support calls.

BoogerBomb said:
They say its a $150 value and CompUSA sells it for $50? I guess that $150 value claim comes from the claim that it takes $150 per employee per year on password support calls.

it's not the exact same one. Microsoft's is probably not as advanced as the one these guys are lending. Plus they offer tech support, microsoft costs $$$ to even talk to someone.

Mine is on the way.
I lucked out because I actually work at a company that meets all the requirements.
She said it was mine to keep, and that she would check in on my progress in a week.

Something tells me that the budget just won't be there for a new security setup.

We've actually got a few of these in the office here. Never had a porblem with them. Not sure what you'd do with it without some custom software, but you never know.

So I got 3 of these things on Monday. I pulled off that I was a Network CEO guy and I put my Real name but put Dr. in front of it =P I asked for one and they said why dont I take 3 so some of my techs can "test" them too.

It comes with a CD and walks you step by step on how to install it.
Pics up shortly have to find my camera's usb cable.

I will let you know how they work, PS what should I do with the other 2? Ebay?

CooLSpoT said:
So I got 3 of these things on Monday. I pulled off that I was a Network CEO guy and I put my Real name but put Dr. in front of it =P I asked for one and they said why dont I take 3 so some of my techs can "test" them too.

It comes with a CD and walks you step by step on how to install it.
Pics up shortly have to find my camera's usb cable.

I will let you know how they work, PS what should I do with the other 2? Ebay?

I'd like one, could I buy it?

well mine never came so yeah, i woudl be interested in the other one...

pm me please

I've got an older one of these units and it is pretty neat. Unfortunately, I have the V1.0 software for XP which is a bit finicky (and they charge for new software); hopefully I receive this unit and the new software is better.
Basically, you can use this to log onto your PC, onto websites, encrypt files, etc.
We evaluated the Active Directory integrated version where I used to work, and it was nice and seemed to work well, but was *VERY* expensive. IIRC almost ~100,000 for 800 PCs/3200 users. Unfortunately, it cost more than we could afford.

I just got off the phone with this company, I told them our company has nearly 5000 users nationwide, we're updating to Active Directory, and our users sometimes lose their passwords (which is all true by the way) and they couldn't wait to send me my kit.

Said it should be here late next week, I'll definately post pictures, etc, if it does arrive.

QM

Filled out my APP on Friday. Lady calls me today. I put my former employer on the app. Ask me how many people, how many computers we have, if we use Active Directory, etc....

Shes sending me two, one for me to evaluate, and one for my Boss to evaluate. :D :D

Iv alwase been sceptical bout those things sence a MaximumPC review just unpluged it and Ctrl+alt+deleted the application. After i saw their video im willing to give it a wirl.

Thanks for the find!

Got mine today. She only sent me one which is fine. Works very well. I wish It didn't modify my regsistry though. If you guys have more than one user, and use the "Switch" user option it will remove it.

Something Else I noticed. There is no way to administer the program, log in's etc out of the box. They also sent me the active directory version, even though I said I wasn't useing it.
To intall and setup the admin program on the AD version of the CD:

Explore the CD.
Find the "Administration Tools" directory. Install that software.
Open the Program and click "New Container" This is where your templates "log in info" is stored. You will have to add it for each user. It should be stored at "X:\Documents and Settings\Y\Application Data\DigitalPersona\OTS\Templates". Replace X with the drive letter, and Y with the user name.

Now if anyone knows what registery key you have to modify to change the log in style I would love to know. It changes it to the "Pro Style", where only one user can be logged in at one time.

Back