Free EVGA GTX470 Hi-Flow Backplate

Intresting, why nothing specifically for the 480? Would this work with the 480?

they will at some point, but not just yet. same deal applies though just pay S+H

I'm still waiting on the backplates they announced a month or so ago

they will at some point, but not just yet. same deal applies though just pay S+H

I'm still waiting on the backplates they announced a month or so ago

Link shows 480's and let me order one for mine.

Meh... These should be included on retail cards for free. Why go through the hassle of ordering a backplate?

Meh... These should be included on retail cards for free. Why go through the hassle of ordering a backplate?

This is just the bracket for exhaust not the backplate as the OP errored in posting. And I agree though, my EVGA 260 216 had a backplate yet my GTX 470 doesn't.

This is just the bracket for exhaust not the backplate as the OP errored in posting. And I agree though, my EVGA 260 216 had a backplate yet my GTX 470 doesn't.

Sorry. What I meant was that if these exhaust backplates offered a 5C reduction in temps then they should be shipping all their newest cards (whether they be 460/465/470/480) with this back plate or a similar design (to accommodate different outputs on different product lines). For those guys who bought cards before they started using these exhaust plates they should offer FREE upgrades. For the size and weight of these, $5.00 is a rip off. EVGA should have the courtesy to send these backplates to those customers who requests them for free.

Cappadonna = Milk the cow!

FREE* High Flow Bracket for all Registered EVGA GTX 470 and 480’s!

I just ordered a couple of these. I am skeptical that they will really reduce temps by 5c, but we'll see. If those are 5c off load temps, then they will be well worth the effort. 5c off idle temps would be nice but really doesn't matter as much as load temps imo.

Can somebody explain to me how these backplates work to reduce temperature? Wouldn't the bare PCB of the Fermi cards have completely unrestricted airflow while the backplates actually block some of that?

Can somebody explain to me how these backplates work to reduce temperature? Wouldn't the bare PCB of the Fermi cards have completely unrestricted airflow while the backplates actually block some of that?

Like has been mentioned, it isn't a backplate. It is your bracket. I can guarantee it will not shave 5c off your temps either, under any circumstances. You may see a 1c difference, which since it is free, isn't a bad deal.

These brackets probably won't lower your temperature because the fan will end up running slower to get the same end result temperature.

That's going by the reports of people who modified their stock bracket to allow more air flow out.

Using a fixed fan speed for before and after would show that difference though.

That's what happened when I ran a 480 bracket-less by propping it up with a pencil. The card went up to 90-91c when stressed like usual, but at a lower fan speed.

Considering Fermi's can ship with stock VIDs ranging from .912v to 1.087v, I wouldn't be surprised at a variety of results.

Look at my at the wall power consumption with a 480 and a stock 920:

IDLE 173w (P12 power state - 405mhz)
furmark .900v 397w (green artifacts in crysis)
furmark .925v 410w (untested in crysis)
furmark .950v 427w (untested in crysis)
furmark .963v 434w (untested in crysis)
furmark .975v 447w (untested in crysis)
furmark .987v 462w stock - first 480
furmark 1.038v 494w stock - second 480
furmark 1.087v 548w max stock vid

There's a 30% increase in VGA power consumption, or heat, when going from .987v to 1.087v. That's a wide disparity in heat output and 470s have an even larger spread in the shipping vids.

I just bit for one as well. I'll take a temp or noise improvement. I'm sure one day I'll sell the card to pay for half an upgrade, and I don't want it to have the "old" one at that time either.

Why? Just take your current bracket off, dremel the whole finned area out, creating a larger exhaust than the one you are sending $5 off for. Not to mention its a 15 minute fix as opposed waiting for the mail.

Why? Just take your current bracket off, dremel the whole finned area out, creating a larger exhaust than the one you are sending $5 off for. Not to mention its a 15 minute fix as opposed waiting for the mail.

And then buy a new GTX470/480 again just to have the stock bracket when you need to RMA.

oh nice.. I just picked up a pair of eVGA 470s.. will get a pair of these for them. :)

Back