Free, easy to use video editor/splicer?

robble

Supreme [H]ardness
I took some videos that I want to cut bits from each and splice them together. I don't need anything fancy. Just cut a 20 second segment here and there then put the segments together - no need for smooth transitions. I've hardly touched video editing software before so I'd prefer something that isn't complicated.

Any suggestions for which software to use? Downloading random googled software is a great way to download malware.

iMovie is probably the best option. It's basically a really cut down version of Final Cut, which is actually pretty impressive. Using the same Timeline interface and cutting tools. If you literally only need a tool to cut something together, it's more than adequate.

Of course it's OSX only. Someone else will probably have to chime in with a PC option.

Windows Movie Maker is free with windows. For simple cutting it works fine.

Thanks for the suggestions! Totally forgot about windows movie maker. if that doesn't do what I need I'll try avidemux &xmedia recode.

Thanks for the suggestions! Totally forgot about windows movie maker. if that doesn't do what I need I'll try avidemux &xmedia recode.

avidemux is great once you get used to, to get smooth transitions is a matter of getting used to keyframes like I-frame for segment start and I or P-frame for ending then joining them together, the result is totally seamless. XMedia Recode is more advanced and it may annoy you with all the options.

yep, didn't care for special or smooth transitions. just getting rid of dead time was good enough for my purpose.

Back