Free Copy of Mass Effect 2 with Purchase of Dragon Age 2

speedy523

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey everyone, just thought I'd let you guys know that if you've already bought, or will be buying Dragon Age 2 before April 30, you can go here to receive a free Mass Effect 2 key to redeem on EA's download manager by submitting the Entitlement Key, aka the key used to unlock the Black Emporium, you received with Dragon Age 2. I just redeemed mine and will be download/playing Mass Effect 2 soon ! :D

Can I get a free DA2 for buying ME2? I'd rather not reward them with my money at this point.

Or instead of buying DA or DA2 you can just get ME and ME2 because they are better! :D

Haha. EA desperately trying to sell the copies of this sales dissapointment.

It sold over a million copies in 2 weeks. Hardly a sales disappointment.

Considering the fact its a sequel to a very successful game and the preorder numbers were much higher its not surprising that it sold a million quicker. Look at the sales though - they are in the toilet now. MUCH lower than origins on a week by week basis. It was projected to move 4.5 million at the 6 month mark, its a sales dissapointment.

It sold over a million copies in 2 weeks. Hardly a sales disappointment.

The first week doesn't count because people rushed in based on the hype alone. As much as companies would have us believe the first week is all that matters, they are all scared shitless of diminishing returns.

MUCH lower than origins on a week by week basis. It was projected to move 4.5 million at the 6 month mark, its a sales dissapointment.

I'd be interested to know where are you getting these reliable week by week sales numbers?

As much as companies would have us believe the first week is all that matters, they are all scared shitless of diminishing returns.

Virtually every game has diminishing returns, especially these days with such a crowded release schedule. Incidentally, that's why companies care so much about the first week sales, because sales will obviously reduce as time passes. So yea, do you have any proof that EA are 'scared shitless' or was that just conjecture?

I'd be interested to know where are you getting these reliable week by week sales numbers?

Virtually every game has diminishing returns, especially these days with such a crowded release schedule. Incidentally, that's why companies care so much about the first week sales, because sales will obviously reduce as time passes. So yea, do you have any proof that EA are 'scared shitless' or was that just conjecture?

Im confident that someone who puts up an attitude like that wont be satisfied by anything other than a direct response from a dev, so ofcourse we have no solid numbers. We have analyst calls, we have vgcharts, we have game discounts at online stores, and now we have this. You wont accept any of those, but luckily for sanity most of the world will.

If nothing else, I hope that DA2's disappointing sales and all the negativity surrounding it are a slap upside Bioware's head (well, whatever studio of theirs does DA) and they bring DA 3 back to its roots.

to me it's obvious that the sales numbers are bad, which is a good thing, they deserve no less.

As for EA saying that it's selling great, to me that is like your Wife saying she loves you as she hands you the divorce papers.

if a game is truly selling well then you don't to do somthing like this in it's first month of release. seriously economics 101

If nothing else, I hope that DA2's disappointing sales and all the negativity surrounding it are a slap upside Bioware's head (well, whatever studio of theirs does DA) and they bring DA 3 back to its roots.

Does this ever even happen? Do devs as big as Bioware seriously give a shit to the point that it affects their strategy for future games?

ME2 is absolutely worth playing, but you can get it for $10 on Steam during sales or for about the same amount on eBay. DA2 is pretty much worthless imho anyway. ME3 will rock but again, not at $60 or close to it, will wait for sales on it as well.

Im confident that someone who puts up an attitude like that wont be satisfied by anything other than a direct response from a dev, so ofcourse we have no solid numbers. We have analyst calls, we have vgcharts, we have game discounts at online stores, and now we have this. You wont accept any of those, but luckily for sanity most of the world will.
So basically you have nothing then?

I'd like you to point out an analyst call where they said that 'sales are in the toilet'. Or a VGchartz link where they can accurately predict anything on this planet (in case you didn't know, all they do is guess). Game discounts also mean nothing these days where it is possible to get any game other than Call of Duty for half off 4-6 weeks after release. Hey Bad Company 2 was available for 7$ a few months ago while Modern Warfare 2 was still 60$... guess BC2 must be a pretty shit game compared to MW2 eh?

What I see in your posts is the typical PC gamer mentality of pretending to substitute wishful thinking for reality. Even though EA have stated that it is selling faster than the first game, and with no real data to indicate that it will sell less (or more) than Origins, you have already declared that it is selling like shit because you think that's what should happen. Overreacting like PC gamers love to these days.

For the record, I think DA2 is a disgrace of a game, but if the market is accepting it then so be it. And yea, Bioware aren't running this promotion out of the goodness of their hearts, that's obvious. In case you didn't know, the copy of ME2 they give comes without the Cerberus code, so I guess they are hoping that some might actually buy that code from them for 15$. And that some would be tempted to buy DA2 itself because they can get a free game with it. And to drum up interest about their next game, Mass Effect 3. It's not altruism but it's not necessarily a panic stricken reaction like you would love to believe either.

I'd like you to point out an analyst call where they said that 'sales are in the toilet'. Or a VGchartz link where they can accurately predict anything on this planet (in case you didn't know, all they do is guess). Game discounts also mean nothing these days where it is possible to get any game other than Call of Duty for half off 4-6 weeks after release. Hey Bad Company 2 was available for 7$ a few months ago while Modern Warfare 2 was still 60$... guess BC2 must be a pretty shit game compared to MW2 eh?

What I see in your posts is the typical PC gamer mentality of pretending to substitute wishful thinking for reality. Even though EA have stated that it is selling faster than the first game, and with no real data to indicate that it will sell less (or more) than Origins, you have already declared that it is selling like shit because you think that's what should happen. Overreacting like PC gamers love to these days.

For the record, I think DA2 is a disgrace of a game, but if the market is accepting it then so be it. And yea, Bioware aren't running this promotion out of the goodness of their hearts, that's obvious. In case you didn't know, the copy of ME2 they give comes without the Cerberus code, so I guess they are hoping that some might actually buy that code from them for 15$. And that some would be tempted to buy DA2 itself because they can get a free game with it. And to drum up interest about their next game, Mass Effect 3. It's not altruism but it's not necessarily a panic stricken reaction like you would love to believe either.

do really believe that nonsense you just wrote. did you know that people are tried and convicted of crimes based upon circumstanial evidence all day long.

the circumstanial evidence in this case is overwhelming, DA2 is not selling well, plain and simple, and morever it prospects for future sales is also not doing great. So yes based upon the circumstanial evidence stated by the previous poster, i think we can say beyond a reasonable doubt that DA2 is a sales letdown for EA/BIOware and deservedly so in my opinion.

Last edited:

Haha. There is no logic in any of that. The first paragraph is a terrible example of a counterpoint, and the rest is a rant. Ignore the evidence all you want, the game is selling like crap, for whatever reason you cant see it.

Why does this actually tempt me? I had no intention to buy DA2, and I already have (and have beaten) ME2 on the 360.... I doubt I would play ME2 again on the PC... yet I am tempted...

MFW people buy this deal and realize that they will spend over 50 bucks on DLC for the games

trollface.png

Ignorance is bliss they say.

If so it is only because you are not providing him with what he asked for. You made a claim, with no substantiation. Now I'm not saying that makes it wrong but he did ask you to provide backup. You've not done so, and as such you can't very well accuse him of ignoring evidence because you've not provided it.

Taken from another forum:

Dragon Age: Origins

XBOX 360
Week 1 - 335,941
Week 2 - 173,230
Week 3 - 96,340
Week 4 - 134,460
Week 5 - 107,755

PS3
Week 1 - 155,660
Week 2 - 72,304
Week 3 - 80,920
Week 4 - 77,414
Week 5 - 59,219

Dragon Age 2

XBOX 360
Week 1 - 392,508
Week 2 - 128,897
Week 3 - 61,735

PS3
Week 1 - 163,410
Week 2 - 61,210
Week 3 - 35,455

PC
Week 1 - 148.830
Week 2 - 38.002
Week 3 - 26.165

"As a special thank you to our fans for helping with the Dragon Age II's early success, BioWare would like present them with a download code for 2010's Game of the Year, Mass Effect 2 on PC."

Looks like desperation to me. Sales are way down after a month, so it's time to start giving things away. lulz

Does this ever even happen? Do devs as big as Bioware seriously give a shit to the point that it affects their strategy for future games?

It can happen IF the sales figures are really as disappointing as some people are suggesting in context of a move like this. At the end of the day, Bioware wants their games to sell well so they can make more money. ;)

Do we actually know any sales figures yet for DA 2 across the platforms?

if all you need is a online pass code just buy one on ebay for $5, then you can just register it and get me2 cheap

Good, I hope their sales suffer. Dragon Age 2 was a disappointment. The biggest part of which, to me, was the complete lack of continuation of the story from DA:O. I understand that they're set in the same world, have the same characters, but they leave the biggest plot points of the first game unresolved? Please. That's not a sequel.

It can happen IF the sales figures are really as disappointing as some people are suggesting in context of a move like this. At the end of the day, Bioware wants their games to sell well so they can make more money. ;)

Do we actually know any sales figures yet for DA 2 across the platforms?
NPD doesnt release sales figures anymore, so well never have official totals.

Taken from another forum:

Where are the figures from? NPD sure doesn't release weekly numbers. The European NPD-like group doesn't either. MediaCrate (or whatever they're called) in Japan does. So I'm guessing its from one of the sites that do what NPD does on a very small scale. Which makes them even less reliable. I don't doubt that its not selling as well as DAO, but without EA or Bioware saying there will never be anything concrete.

Good, I hope their sales suffer. Dragon Age 2 was a disappointment.

Yeah, but not everyone feels that way. I personally believe that DA2 is vastly superior to Origins.

Not every single person on the face of the planet believes that Origins was a great game you know - some of us were super disappointed by the weak gameplay and the generic plot. Not only was the plot generic, but it was downright rudimentary - I can actually sum it up in one simple sentence: Assemble an army, go fight the Arch Demon. That plot was created so that 13 year olds could easily digest it.

Recently, in publishing, the phrase 'high concept' has gotten a lot of play - this phrase is the opposite of what it sounds like: when a person, for example, says that their novel is 'high concept' what they're saying is that it can be easily understood in one simple sentence. It's meant to communicate that even a person who has fifty things on their mind, and is totally self absorbed, and maybe even a little stupid, would still be able to grasp what the story was about. That's what Origins' plot was - high concept.

In fact, that simple rudimentary formula seemed to work so well for Bioware, that they recycled it for Mass Effect 2. In Origins, it was: "Hey, let's build an army, guys!" In Mass Effect 2, it was: "Hey, let's build a space fleet, guys!"

It should be pretty obvious that both these plots were really just the same 'high concept' plot, and were therefore aimed at young teenagers. No, this was NOT what was originally promised of Origins.

Which leads me to my biggest complaint about Dragon Age Origins by far. The game that was eventually delivered, and the game that was promised well over seven years ago, were two completely different games. Those of us who had been following Origins (supposedly Bioware's return to its PC roots) know that Dragon Age Origins was a shambolic mess of an RPG that was watered down beyond all recognition.

DA2, on the other hand, when played on Hard, will test you every battle. It's the tactical RPG that Dragon Age never was. The necessity of cross class combos, while playing on Hard, forces you to have a balanced party (without that Mage, you can't turn enemies brittle, without that Fighter, you can't stun your targets, without that Rogue you can't make your enemies delusional). The lengthening of the cool down timers forces you to strategize. Those two decisions alone elevated this title into the stratosphere. Cross class combos, and greatly lengthened cool down timers, made DA2 as close to Shadows of Amn as we're ever going to get.

Sorry, but The Great Unwashed missed the boat on this one. I guess it wasn't stupid enough for them.

Last edited:
Back