Free Converter AVI to MP4

P4rD0nM3

[H]ard|Gawd
Anyone here uses FRAPS to record gameplay videos? I'm wondering if there's a free converter out there that I can use. I already use VirtualDub to convert the fraps-avi to a small one (h.264). But 10 mins = 500MB+ at 2048x1152 or 400MB (1080p). So now I want to make the move to mp4.

+1 for Handbrake. Open source, cross platform, easy to use, works great, what more could you ask for? That or MeGUI if you have a hankering for more options.

And you guys have used those?
Handbrake, MediaCoder and MeGUI are all good. Handbrake is the easiest, followed by MediaCoder, then MeGUI (requires that you make your own AviSynth scripts).

There's also SUPER, which I haven't used, but seems solid. Never heard of Format Factory, so tread with caution on that one.

I'm using Format Factory for years. clean and excellent program.
Also very friendly interface :)

And like many such similar programs, it uses and distributes FFmpeg/libavcodec illegally.

Last edited:
Anybody tried Anvsoft Any Video Convertor?

Have not compared it to handbrake but pretty simple to use.

Anybody tried Anvsoft Any Video Convertor?

Have not compared it to handbrake but pretty simple to use.
I have used Any Video Convertor...not bad. Handbrake does seem to be just as good and possibly even quicker. I am giving FormatFacyory a test run right now.

The majority of ripped films I have are .avi format, and after getting an iPod Touch, I need to convert them to h.264 in order o use them on the device...PITA but beats re-downloading/ripping all of them.

For anyone wondering. Handbrake does not output AVI, Xvid, Or OGM.

Was wanting to convert a MP4 to Xvid, already was at 70% done converting with Any Video Converter while still looking for answers on handbrake before I stumbled upon it in the FAQ in the forums. Oh Well.

Just bought a Samsung DVD (DVD-1080P9 i think) player that can play xvids off a USB stick (yay, no more burning discs!). I need to look and see if there is new firmware for the player that might support H.264/mp4.

Back