Free Comic Book Day Doesn’t Always Save The Day For Local Shops

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Remember, you can stop by a comic book shop today to pick up some free swag—but I have indeed wondered what retailers really think about all the people rushing in to do only that and nothing more.

"It's definitely the best day of the year," says owner Michael Freedman, but he adds, "Does it actually bring in return customers? I don't know. But as far as that one day goes, it's a great day." Eric Warfield, of House of Secrets in Burbank, is a bit more blunt. "It's never like someone's brand new and they become like a longtime shopper," he says. "Very rarely. It's just the hyenas looking for free stuff." At one point, the staff got so jaded that the store — which, like all retailers, does have to pay Diamond Distributors for the giveaway books — stopped participating.

Just like I only go into 7-Eleven on free slurpee day. I then proceed to go to 5 more 7-Elevens nearby as well.

free comic day is normally free used comics that can't be sold due to unpopular or shitty condition.

shop i visit tries to being in artists for fans.

free comic day is normally free used comics that can't be sold due to unpopular or shitty condition.

shop i visit tries to being in artists for fans.

I regularly visit the local comic shops, most especially Collectibles, ETC... in Lexington, KY. Never once have I seen the free books being shit. They are always books from DD for FCBD, with covers stating such. In addition, each store also has deep discounts on trades and books. Last several years, CE has discounted the trades revolving around whatever Marvel or DC title is hitting theaters or TV, plus other random stuff, Funco POP! figures, and usually an artist. Tony Moore usually stops in. Year before last during the early stages of the NOW! reboots, he was sketching TWD and Deadpool, plus limited edition prints.
This one is from FCBD '13
20160507_212443.jpg

I honestly haven't been in a comic book store since the 70's.

I used to have some odd first editions that were ruined in a flood years back, but I do not think they were worth too much.

I didn't take my kids this year. I have in the past. But, we're usually in there once a month anyway. I was going to 'pass the torch' to them with my comics, but I got sucked back in and still enjoy reading them and collecting them. Some great stories. I can't leave without spending $50 or more (twice that with the kids).

Diamond's model is alot like how Record Store Day works; most stores throughout the year can send back unsold distro and not be charged for it, but URP/RSD makes stores keep any RSD stock they dont sell, as well as setting crazy high minimum orders for all the stuff they think will be the biggest sellers; I still have shops complaining about 2014 RSD when they got double what they ordered and URP told them they had to pay for it or couldnt be a part the next year ...

Just like I only go into 7-Eleven on free slurpee day. I then proceed to go to 5 more 7-Elevens nearby as well.

So you said free Slurpee day, but it sounds like you meant Free Diabetes day.

Back