Free Back Up Software

Fiala06

n00b
Hey everyone,

I'm looking for some free back up software like Karen's Replicator. The only reason I cant use that is due to filemaker, Karen's Replicator wont back it up since the program is always running. So I need a program that will back everything up,(so it will need to shutdown the program, back it up, then start it back up) This is running on a server for our school district. Any Suggestions????

Thx's

I'm a little unclear whether you want a back up solution that will or will not shutdown a running program or computer.

Windows Home Server can, after the initial install, backup a computer while it's still running and will not shut anything down. Of course you'll be adding another piece of infrastructure.

You would need something that has a module for that specific software, that's able to shut down FileMaker, back up the data, and restart it. These exist for more common server apps, like SQL Server, so you may be out of luck, especially for something free.

Does FileMaker need to be running 24x7? If not, just set your backup tools to work at night when it isn't in use.

There's no need to shutdown any applications if the backup solution uses Shadow Copy.

cobian backup can be set to shut down a program then start it back up after the backup is complete

Back