Free AVG is over. What now?

c1001

Gawd
Now that AVG will no longer be free, any recommendations on what AV software to use?

Why does this keep coming up? :confused: There is still a free AVG:

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1

GRISOFT is announcing a new version of the AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition. This new 7.5 version with improved performance and full compatibility with the latest Windows Vista version is available. Users that are using AVG Free 7.1 will be provided with a specific dialog, within the next few weeks, with the opportunity to choose the right option fulfilling their needs. AVG Free 7.1 version will be discontinued on 18th of Feb 2007.

AVG is still free. They are just forcing you to upgrade to 7.5, but the new version is still free. Look, from the Grisoft website:
New Free Anti-Virus

GRISOFT is announcing a new version of the AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition. This new 7.5 version with improved performance and full compatibility with the latest Windows Vista version is available. Users that are using AVG Free 7.1 will be provided with a specific dialog, within the next few weeks, with the opportunity to choose the right option fulfilling their needs. AVG Free 7.1 version will be discontinued on 18th of Feb 2007.
Still free. They are just forcing you to update to the newest version.

I saw this on my mom's computer. A BIG popup says your version is about to expire and you have to upgrade to 7.5, but 7.5 is available for free. It's not that hidden.

Its still free, Avast is awesome as well (in fact i use it now instead of AVG).

How is AVG or AVAST on system resources?

I've been using pc-cillin for the last couple of years and was happy until the 2007 version which slows my browsing and uses more resources than past versions. I'm shopping for something new. I don't mind paying a reasonable amount, doesn't have to be a freebie, but free is good if it works as well.

I like AVG better, but I've had to use avast two different times, it seems to works just fine. Seems to me it's got a lot more 'stuff' that installs when you install it besides AV software.

How is AVG or AVAST on system resources?

I've been using pc-cillin for the last couple of years and was happy until the 2007 version which slows my browsing and uses more resources than past versions. I'm shopping for something new. I don't mind paying a reasonable amount, doesn't have to be a freebie, but free is good if it works as well.

AVG is lighter than Avast....Avast is a little better in detection, however..if you're still looking...try AVS from Kapersky..it's free..very light, and IMO far superior to AVG in detection.

Why does this come up every time AVG releases a new version?
I cannot see why people get this idea.

Back