Free AV for nonprofit?

HOCP4ME

2[H]4U
Does there exist a good free AV product whose license agreement allows for nonprofit (not commercial, but not home either) use?

Microsoft Security Essentials. It doesn't say anything in the EULA forbidding nonprofit orgs from using it.

techsoup.org usually has software like that. I got Norton enterprise from them awhile back for the non profits I worked for. It isn't free but close enough.

Techsoup is absolutely great for non-profits. I used to do volunteer computer services for several and that site is great.

u can use AVG for any computer.

Not true!. Right from their website "free for private use only"
Same is true for most free antivirus software,
Avast /snip from their website "Free antivirus for home use"
and AntiVir /snip from their website "designed to offer reliable free of charge virus protection to home-users, for personal use only, and is not for business or commercial use."

Pirating software is risky for non-profits, as they can get audited frequently.

I've yet to find anything on Microsofts site about the usage of MSE...so that leads me to believe it's wide open, esp since Microsoft gives so much to non-profits through TechSoup.

Speaking of TechSoup, I hope the OP is familiar with that site, where you can purchase MS Office, Windows, Servers and CALs, for like 10 cents on the dollar and even less. I recently had a client get over $17,000.00 of Microsoft product (based on MSRP) for approx $1,200 bucks through TechSoup.

Not true!. Right from their website "free for private use only"
Same is true for most free antivirus software,
Avast /snip from their website "Free antivirus for home use"
and AntiVir /snip from their website "designed to offer reliable free of charge virus protection to home-users, for personal use only, and is not for business or commercial use."

Pirating software is risky for non-profits, as they can get audited frequently.

I've yet to find anything on Microsofts site about the usage of MSE...so that leads me to believe it's wide open, esp since Microsoft gives so much to non-profits through TechSoup.

Speaking of TechSoup, I hope the OP is familiar with that site, where you can purchase MS Office, Windows, Servers and CALs, for like 10 cents on the dollar and even less. I recently had a client get over $17,000.00 of Microsoft product (based on MSRP) for approx $1,200 bucks through TechSoup.

Yes, I'm aware of TechSoup. I didn't know they had Symantec products, though. Thanks for pointing that out - I guess we can go with them.

Norton Enterprise isn't bloated and system-intensive like its consumer counterpart, correct?

Yes, I'm aware of TechSoup. I didn't know they had Symantec products, though. Thanks for pointing that out - I guess we can go with them.

Norton Enterprise isn't bloated and system-intensive like its consumer counterpart, correct?

It was. Symantec did do a "ground up rebuild" of their products in 2009..so their home grade antivirus runs using only 8 megs now, it's VERY light. I don't know if they also redid their corp edition products yet, I stopped selling those when version 10 came out.

I think I saw Microsoft ForeFront on TechSoups site...I'll have to peek again.

How many PCs do you have to protect? Do you have an Exchange Server onsite too?

It was. Symantec did do a "ground up rebuild" of their products in 2009..so their home grade antivirus runs using only 8 megs now, it's VERY light. I don't know if they also redid their corp edition products yet, I stopped selling those when version 10 came out.

I think I saw Microsoft ForeFront on TechSoups site...I'll have to peek again.

How many PCs do you have to protect? Do you have an Exchange Server onsite too?

It's only six computers and no, we don't have an Exchange server. The computers are running Windows 7 RC right now and will be upgraded to RTM as soon as Windows 7 is released on TechSoup.

We recently got a much-needed donation for new computers to replace our seven-year-old XP machines (no idea what antivirus was running on them, but it's long-expired by now) and decided to skip Vista and go straight to 7 for compatibility reasons (7 has XP mode), especially with the release date so close.

Scratch MSE.....decided to go check the EULA since it was released yesterday..
http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/eula.aspx

"You may install and use any number of copies of the software on your devices in your household for use by people who reside there or for use in your home-based small business."

Sooo....no MSE for a biz either, unless it's out of your home.

Scratch MSE.....decided to go check the EULA since it was released yesterday..
http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/eula.aspx

"You may install and use any number of copies of the software on your devices in your household for use by people who reside there or for use in your home-based small business."

Sooo....no MSE for a biz either, unless it's out of your home.

Damn, was going to install it on my work computer to replace.....you know what.;)

use MSE as suggested above and my minipack (generic post below)

try my minipack. paste the hijackthis log in the german website (hyperlink in minipack)... check and remove the items that are found with red x's... then do your traditional scans. if its real stubborn try sophos anti rootkit with severe care... and let me know what you find... you can pm me the log
http://www.5secondnews.com/3/post/2009/09/roes-minipack-v4-released.html

TechSoup has discounts on Symantec, that would probably be your best bet to do this legally.

Did the people that keep suggesting MSE read the lin to Microsofts EULA?
It's not legal to use for a business unless you're running out of your home.

Similar rules for AntiVir, AVG, Avast, etc.

Generally "Free for PERSONAL USE ONLY"

Back