Free App + Windows 7 + EXT2 Cloning = Possible?

noteworthy

Gawd
Looking for a free application for windows 7.

Create an image of a usb stick that is ext2 linux format and store on windows 7 hard drive.
Write that image on a usb stick without failure.

I have ext2 support installed in windows xp (using ext2ifs) with an application and it works great. This app does not work great in windows 7 and fails to write to usb the ext2 image. To install ext2ifs in windows 7 I have to run it compatibility mode for vista and run as admin. The application installs if the user is an administrator and appears to save the image correctly. When I go to write the ext2 image it fails if the stick is formatted ext2 but if the format isn't known of the usb drive then it writes. Odd problem.

Is there an easier, free solution? I thought about getting a thumb drive with a linux distro and boot to that to save the images, but it would have to be 8 gig and you would have to clone the correct usb stick.

Yeah I'll keep looking.

If everyone that is going to need this had windows xp it would not be an issue. Windows 7 just throws a wrench in reading/writing ext2.

It is safe to use my primary hard drive (ntfs) as the home/partimg storage for clonezilla? I might be able to just distribute a usb stick with clonezilla boot on it. Have the guys safe the usb stick to the primary hard drive as an image and then write that image to the usb stick as well if needed.

It is safe to use my primary hard drive (ntfs) as the home/partimg storage for clonezilla? I might be able to just distribute a usb stick with clonezilla boot on it. Have the guys safe the usb stick to the primary hard drive as an image and then write that image to the usb stick as well if needed.

I'm not sure I understand this completely. You can have a LiveUSB that has Clonezilla and your image files that you want to clone to/from. You boot from the LiveUSB and then connect a 2nd USB that will be the target disk for your backup/restore operation. Does that answer your question?

I just bought a couple of usb sticks... one for clonezilla and one for the backup images to save/write.

Is there a way to hide local hard drives in the computer from clonezilla? I don't want coworkers writing a linux image over their 80 gig hard drive. No matter how much I warn them I bet they'll overwrite it and trash their OS.

trying to disabled sda1,sda2 from appearing in clonezilla...

here's my startup command but no matter if I use noprobe or none for sda1,sda2 there is no change... is there something I'm missing?

kernel /live/vmlinuz
append initrd=/live/initrd.img sda1=none sda2=none boot=live config noswap nolocales edd=on nomodeset noprompt ocs_live_run="ocs-live-general" ocs_live_extra_param="" ocs_live_keymap="" ocs_live_batch="no" ocs_lang="" vga=788 ip=frommedia nosplash

I'm not exactly sure how you would go about hiding the SATA drives from Clonezilla. I think gParted can pick up drives even if noprobe is activated, so it would make sense that Clonezilla can as well.

I'll look into this when I have some time. If I find anything, I'll post it here.

Back