Free antivirus for server 2008

Nickbaldwin86

2[H]4U
I'm running Win Server 2k8 on my ....server :eek:

I would like some recommendations of good anti-virus software... it is getting old having my computer monitor the server as well as itself.

Thanks

comodo internet security. free for life and its has firewall too.. so dont have to use shitty windows one.

Windows server 2k8 has an amazing firewall... I don't want firewall just antivirus.

will that program allow me to turn off the firewall but still keep the antivirus function?

and are you sure you can use it with server 2k8? like you have personal experience?

Many free antivirus solutions do not allow installation on server operating systems.

Many free antivirus solutions do not allow installation on server operating systems.
Exactly.

The only genuinely free AV that I know of, that works on Windows Server, is Clamwin. It doesn't feature real-time protection though, only scheduled scans.

You could also follow this guide to install MSE on Server 2008. Unfortunately, Microsoft updated the genuine software code in the latest version of MSE, which means it would show as 'Not a genuine OS' if you install on Server 2008. The work around is to download an older version of MSE, located here. You cannot upgrade the actual software though, only definitions. The problem is the AV will keep prompting you that a newer version is available.

Not necessarily, MS gives out a lot of free copies at launch events and such. I had been running a copy of Windows 2k server I got at an event years ago on my server for a long time. Finding AV for server OS is a bit of a pain.

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly.

The only genuinely free AV that I know of, that works on Windows Server, is Clamwin. It doesn't feature real-time protection though, only scheduled scans.

You could also follow this guide to install MSE on Server 2008. Unfortunately, Microsoft updated the genuine software code in the latest version of MSE, which means it would show as 'Not a genuine OS' if you install on Server 2008. The work around is to download an older version of MSE, located here. You cannot upgrade the actual software though, only definitions. The problem is the AV will keep prompting you that a newer version is available.

Ya I found Clamwin yesterday searching around and have found it to be very easy to use and low CPU/RAM usage.

Thanks

just a useless smart ass comment to make

Did I pay for it .... FAWK YES I DID... took me 5 years of school too

5 years huh? Took me about 5 minutes and $270 bux to sign up for a technet sub.... but to each his own, right? ;)

Not necessarily, MS gives out a lot of free copies at launch events and such. I had been running a copy of Windows 2k server I got at an event years ago on my server for a long time. Finding AV for server OS is a bit of a pain.

hence why i said i could also assume they didnt pay for it.

it is not really a pain, i just think it is assumed most people who are running 2k8 in an environment they would need AV, paid for it, so then spending $20-$40 on AV isn't a large cost based on the price tag of the OS it's self.

The problem with Clam...it doesn't detect much...it's actually worse than AVG believe it or not.
Fortinet had a free "all in one" client that will install (and they state it will) on Server OS's, however...it includes software firewall 'n other security stuff. You could disable those parts though.

PCTools free AV used to install on Server 2003 without issue...haven't tried on 08.

hence why i said i could also assume they didnt pay for it.

it is not really a pain, i just think it is assumed most people who are running 2k8 in an environment they would need AV, paid for it, so then spending $20-$40 on AV isn't a large cost based on the price tag of the OS it's self.

Sorry, missed that part. Which paid AV can you get for $20-40 that would run on server OS? I know some of the corporate variants are around that price, but usually need to buy a 5 or 10 license minimum.

Vipre from Sunbeltsoftware works on server OS...says so right in the requirements, 2008, 2003 both 32/64bit, they also have home site license.
i use the vipre on one customer who has a 2003 server for 3 PC's

Vipre from Sunbeltsoftware works on server OS...says so right in the requirements, 2008, 2003 both 32/64bit, they also have home site license.
i use the vipre on one customer who has a 2003 server for 3 PC's

oh cool trial... so I can use it for 30 days and then uninstall :rolleyes:

Trial = not free

I was mostly replying to darkpaws ? on what paid av can you get for 20-40 that works on servers,but heck, its cheap anyways...

Back