Free AMD X2 CPU with DFI motherboard purchase at Motherboardpro.com

Ruh, roh. Somehow, their internal process messed up.

I ordered (and got confirmation for) the 790FX M2RS. I got the 790GX M2RS Lan Party Jr. It's a better board, and it's the more expensive (the one I ordered was the cheapest)... BUT.... I ordered the 790FX M2RS for a reason... it had three PCIX and 3 PCI slots, and while the PCIX slots aren't that important (I'm only going to end up using two, at most), I need all three PCI slots due to legacy IDE drives in my wife's machine. But their Invoice showed the GX, even though my order receipt shows the FX (oh, and I used Discover, but they're showing I used Mastercard). Sounds like their order system is hosed. :(
I'm not sure if it's DFI or MotherboardPro that messed that up, though.

On the other hand, they were VERY responsive to an email last night.

Got the X2-4600, though I asked for the X2-6000 or X2-5600. Close enough, I'll use the chip in an HTPC if I don't like it's performance, but when I'm happy with my X2-5000, I don't think she'll be upset with the 4600.

I ordered (and got confirmation for) the 790FX M2RS. I got the 790GX M2RS Lan Party Jr. It's a better board, and it's the more expensive (the one I ordered was the cheapest)... BUT.... I ordered the 790FX M2RS for a reason... it had three PCIX and 3 PCI slots, and while the PCIX slots aren't that important (I'm only going to end up using two, at most), I need all three PCI slots due to legacy IDE drives in my wife's machine. But their Invoice showed the GX, even though my order receipt shows the FX (oh, and I used Discover, but they're showing I used Mastercard). Sounds like their order system is hosed. :(

Got the X2-4600, though I asked for the X2-6000 or X2-5600. Close enough, I'll use the chip in an HTPC if I don't like it's performance, but when I'm happy with my X2-5000, I don't think she'll be upset with the 4600.

Hard drives are cheap, just keep the board and buy a $50 SATA hard drive.

just to clarify, a pci-x slots looks like this:
400079123.jpg

you're thinking of a pci-express slot, sometimes abbreviated to pci-e, which look like this:
828.jpg

its important that you don't confuse the two, you might end up confusing others.

as for your wife's ide drives, doesn't the board have an ide channel? that's enough for two drives....

Yeah, I know the difference; I'm referring to the fact that the board I ordered had three PCI-X x16 slots for Crossfire X; the new board has two PCI-X x16 slots, and one PCI-X x1 slot, which doesn't matter to me. The difference in the boards that does matter is one PCI slot vice three PCI slots.

When you have five HDDs and two DVDRWs, one single IDE channel doesn't cut it; you need a PCI IDE controller card (actually, you need two....) along with the single IDE channel.

Couple that with an internal PCI Voice/FAX/Modem, I needed three PCI slots, since the MB manufacturers have "obsoleted" IDE so quickly.

However, the wife agrees with the assessment of just living with the mistake; she'll drop the modem (she's got a real fax machine, anyway, and I can put it in my machine) and she'll let loose the smallest IDE HDD. Eventually, I'll replace her IDE DVDRWs with SATA ones.

Hard drives are cheap, just keep the board and buy a $50 SATA hard drive.

I bought her a 1TB Seagate 7200.12, but she's still got legacy data (she has a private web business) on those other drives, and wants to pull them forward.

Yeah, I know the difference; I'm referring to the fact that the board I ordered had three PCI-X x16 slots for Crossfire X; the new board has two PCI-X x16 slots, and one PCI-X x1 slot, which doesn't matter to me. The difference in the boards that does matter is one PCI slot vice three PCI slots.

When you have five HDDs and two DVDRWs, one single IDE channel doesn't cut it; you need a PCI IDE controller card (actually, you need two....) along with the single IDE channel.

Couple that with an internal PCI Voice/FAX/Modem, I needed three PCI slots, since the MB manufacturers have "obsoleted" IDE so quickly.

However, the wife agrees with the assessment of just living with the mistake; she'll drop the modem (she's got a real fax machine, anyway, and I can put it in my machine) and she'll let loose the smallest IDE HDD. Eventually, I'll replace her IDE DVDRWs with SATA ones.

PCI-E X16

Got mine today. I'm a little miffed; the CPU is already in the socket and there's remnants of thermal paste on it. These CPUs are probably system pulls. They say they're OEM procs on the website, but OEM != System Pull.

The CPU I got was an X2 4200 which has a TDP of 65W. I was hoping for a 45W proc, but hopefully I can still manage things for the HTPC build I have planned.

Got mine today. I'm a little miffed; the CPU is already in the socket and there's remnants of thermal paste on it. These CPUs are probably system pulls. They say they're OEM procs on the website, but OEM != System Pull.

The CPU I got was an X2 4200 which has a TDP of 65W. I was hoping for a 45W proc, but hopefully I can still manage things for the HTPC build I have planned.

undervolt it. i'm sure you'll be fine

Back